Am I the only one who likes season 7?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Baxters_Hooch, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

Browsing about the forums and the internet I hear a lot of negative words spoken about Series VII. But I love it - it contains some excellent lines, it brought us Chloe's Kochanski who's excellent, it gave us Ace Rimmer's backstory and it gave us Beyond a Joke, my all-time favourite RD episode. So why the harsh words??

I invite all fellow Series VII fans to come and show their support!

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I wouldn't say I dislike series VII, it just isn't my favourite compared to the previous seasons.

I think a lot of people dislike it because it does feel weaker on the overall humour than the previous seasons (some laughs sacrified in favour of deeper stories, which personally I quite like), and also because Kochanski is seen as a replacement for Rimmer (which she, in effect, is), while Rimmer was a very popular character.

Personally though I disagree that Kochanski is an excellent character. No disrespect to Chloe Annett who I felt played the role well, but I just feel the character was flawed (in creation not as in personally traits). That's just me though.

At the end of the day series VII was a change of direction for Dwarf, and the new direction just did not play to everyone's tastes. A bit like Back to Earth in that respect, which struck me as more along the series VII vein of stronger story, fewer jokes. We've seen quite a division of the fanbase with that, as I daresay there was with series VII (I can't confirm this, I wasn't old enough to have any idea what was going on regarding the fanbase at the time and I was only just getting into Dwarf myself).

3. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Booo series 7.

I cant stand series 7. For many reasons. I love Rimmer and him not being in many of them sucks, Kochanski is a terrible character, she whines and moans for most of them, makes everything just a chore as she moans about baths and outfits and the fridge. We suddenly no longer have 4 guys with no clue in space we have 3 guys and a girl one of which who pretty much seems to know everything which ruined a big chunk of it for me. Lister's character pretty much changed to being out to impress her all the time and obsessing and kryten changed to whining almost as much as her.

The Ace Rimmer backstory I thought was awful and ruined the other Ace Rimmer episode for me. Oroborus was another episode I hated because it ruined the lister abandoned plot, Duct soup was just a chore to sit through and I am not wild on beyond a joke. The CGI in it is terrible, i hate the way the ship is massive on the inside, dimensional anomalies my ass. That scene in the red dwarf locker room with rimmer, kochanski and lister makes me cringe everytime.

Also krytens head looks particularly weird in that season which puts me off. All in all I dont like series 7 except for maybe Nanarchy which i dont think is too bad. I dont know why maybe just cause I missed red dwarf and was looking forward to it being back. Had I known the whole crew was int here I wouldnt have been so happy.

4. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

Not the only one probably... I think it's the worst series of RD, most people hates it... there must be statisticly the most hated series

5. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    I think all the series after 6 have their problems (and in most cases, good points).

Series 7 had some great ideas and moments (I do like the idea of Kennedy shooting himself) but just doesn't seem to work as well - I think partly the writing and partly missing the audience - I think the actors work better with an audience encourage them.

Series 8 seemed to have better writing in a lot of ways but not enough ideas - too many multiparters.

BTE..... was nothing but problems.

6. Timelord81Redux

Timelord81Redux Skutter

to be honest I dont think there has ever been a bad series, though some are further down the list like b2e,
    I liked series 7 alot, i remember watching it with my folks when it aired and being excited and enjoying it, wasnt as good as the previous series but was still good and I think had the balance right between the old direction and the new one, it looked better sets wise (though i do still miss the model stuff) and i miss the audience as the recorded stuff goes over some of the jokes, some of the episodes were really good and it had some stand out moments, of the top of my head right now? kryten in tika to ride (you bet ya ass) lol, the human bbq scene (1 minute your down, the next your right back up again)lol, the bond opening from stoke me a clipper, the touching ace rimmers of old reveal, the hamster in rimmers head lol, cat in duct soup is brilliant lol as is the final reveal from kryten, the kiss in blue and the museum end, kryten going buts in beyond a joke, blowing up, hunting them down in the jane austin world lol, game show host villain in epadime was great, kryten nursing lister in nanarchy is so funny as is holly (hes back, kicking bottom or what) lol

so many good moments, much better balance then in b2e

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I like it a lot too. And I'm interested to see someone else who liked 'Beyond a Joke.' It's one of my favourite episodes in series 7 too, but many consider it their worst!

It might have had problems (there was stuff I wasn't keen on*)) but it wasn't nothing but that. There was plenty of good stuff. I won't go into it, this being a series 7 thread, just wanted to say.

The CGI was a bit dodgy in places, but it didn't bother me much, added to the humour if anything. I agree concerning the size of the craft though. I'm glad it was expanded to some extent with the 360 degree set but the dimensional anomaly bigger on the inside stuff was a bit hokey. It felt rather like an excuse to show off that (grantedly lovely) set with the huge fan. If they wanted to use that I'd rather it was a space station or planet building somewhere.

As for Kochanski, I like her. She did whine a lot to start with, but consider this: she was trapped in a different dimension (from her point of view) away from her more professional crew mates (one who was her lover apparently... at least that was the suggestion) and now she's stuck in the silliverse with underachievers. If she didn't complain that would be a tad unrealistic wouldn't it? She certainly became a contributing member of the team, if low on the jokes compared to the others.

As for Lister, sure he wants to impress her but I didn't think he fawned over her all the time. Apart from a couple of dodgy moments he seemed kind of resigned.

*but then I find other people quoting those same scenes as their favourites, so swings and roundabouts, etc.

8. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

I don't have a problem with series 7 and defended it when it came out and my mates told me what they hated about it. Beyond A Joke however is one of my least favourite episodes ever.

9. RedMidget

RedMidget First Technician

I Love Series 7

10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

It's my least favourite series. In fact, I would go as far as to say I simply didn't like it until the last time I watched the whole of Red Dwarf through, when I warmed to it. I really like series VIII, which a lot of people dislike. So it's all down to taste.

11. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I love series 7 as per my review on Amazon and I'm happy to stand next to you in support. Unlike many RD fans I'm not actually keen on sit coms and much prefer a good drama and for comedy, observational and conceptual stand up comedians - Stewart Lee is my favourite. I was attracted to RD in 1988 because it was SCI FI not sit com and at the time I was really in to Hitch Hikers Guide...Galaxy. Series 1 was mostly situation, a bit of comedy and too light on sci fi but I stuck with as I acknowledged empathy with the situation and the characters. IMO RD is at its best when the sci fi, comedy and situation are in perfect balance no better demonstrated for me in series 5 & 6. Series 7 was a departure from the formula but I like and appreciate the drama of 7, the darker tone is reminiscent of the novels. Series 8 is for me too much sit com with very little sci fi and looks and feels like a mainstream BBC 1 comedy and the only series where I don't actually enjoy every episode - I don't hate them but by comparison with earlier episodes I can't wholly engage with them. But the great thing about Dwarf is that there's enough episodes for every fan to get maximum enjoyment in whatever way they derive their pleasure from the programme.

I've been married for 22 years and we've been together for 31 years - I don't have to like everything about my wife to love her:lol:

12. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

I like series 7. Before it originally aired i did wonder if it would be any good without rimmer and was slightly annoyed by them bringing a woman into it to replace him. But when I actually watched it i really enjoyed it and have done ever since. Although i've never been too keen on the rimmer/ace rimmer storyline.

13. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

series 7 is far better than series 8 in every way bar Kochanski's performance which is actually better in the latter series. For me series 8 was just a sitcom (it feels like that god awful Ardal O'Hanlon vehicle "My Hero" to me, as if BBC execs said to Doug "make it lowest common denominator or else!")
    Personally I like the lack of live audience, I even prefer the DVD episodes without the laughter...makes it more dramatic...and I don't think we need to be told when to laugh! Chloe's sweet and Lister's behaviour is the way it is for a good reason...that's the point...he's lovesick...
    aside from the JFK episode I think it's a brill series!!!!
    so there!

14. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    Series 7 is my third favourite after 1 and 2. I love it! I don't know why people don't! I like the addition of Chloe to the cast. The only bad thing is the lack of Rimmer.

15. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I dont think most people dislike Series VII, they just feel it isnt of the standard of the earlier series, a stance I more or less take myself. The primary reasons most give for their negativity about the series (Lack of Rimmer, introduction of Kochanski) are also my main gripes with it. I certainly prefer it over Series VIII, (which even though it is easily the worst for me, still contains some greatness) mainly because the writing is still of a generally high standard. Epideme in particular managing to be a great episode, even though it has no Rimmer, and I dont really like the character of Kochanski. Tikka To Ride and also Blue manage to be magical moments in the series. As for Stoke Me A Clipper, it is a great episode in itself, though I do agree it slightly taints Dimension Jump by being a bit too far out as far as the Ace Rimmer storyline is concerned. Though the ending has a great charm, despite being extremely unbelievable!

My feelings on Series VII? Pretty good, and in parts still contains that old Dwarf magic, but not quite up there with the greatness of the previous series, IMHO :-)

16. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

youre not the only one mate, i thought it was a great season, out of 8eps rimmer appeared in 5 so thats quite alot and i thought kochanski did a good job

17. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

I love when everyone starts talking about effects and budget, saying how the effects and high budget detract from the story, but whenever people moan about these cases, it's nearly always on shows that were made on a shoe-string-Back to earth, The mighty boosh series 3, and i thougt i read somewhere that series VII was one of the lowest budgets?

18. AussieSmegHead

AussieSmegHead Skutter

I think the problem that I originally had with it was how it changed. The dramatic comedy element being combined. Konchaski was never an issue for me, she was an interesting beast with many talents :. I tihnk the shock of how it became somewhat little bit of a drama with the comedy element, really shocked me the first time around when I watched it the first time several weeks ago. But haven't re-watched it again, I quite enjoyed it immensely. You got to know a bit about her a bit and I really truly loved the banter between her and Kryten.

19. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

For all that's said about Kochanski, the scenes with her and Kryten worked quite well. Kryten's insecurity was brilliantly portrayed. It gave Kryten's character a chance to expand, instead of simply being the know-it-all replacement Holly. Series 7 had some strong elements, but is still my least favourite series.

20. jeremy

jeremy Catering Officer

I think that series 7 is good but it dosen't compear to the earlier serieses.