Am I the only one who likes season 7?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Baxters_Hooch, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Rewcastle

Rewcastle Second Technician

I have no problem with Series 7 whatsoever. I miss the bunk scenes, observation tower scenes as much as the next dwarfer - but things moved on. There were some classic lines & episodes in this series. Infact, i think Kryten sneaking around the forrest blow piping the Jane Austin cast says it all really

While i'm here, i might aswell say that i believe there isn't much wrong with series 8 either. Infact, when you think about it, there is more bunkscenes and banter between Rimmer & Lister than in alot of the previous series!! Think about it

2. freddyhard

freddyhard Skutter

i definitely liked series 7. i was disappointed to see rimmers role reduced, but i think it was still good. while i wouldn't call myself a red dwarf fanatic, i have all the series on dvd, including BtE, smeg outs/ups and would buy anymore that are produced. i guess i'm more of a fan than i thought.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's interesting people mentioning the observation dome scene. If I remember correctly, there is only one scene where that happens, where Rimmer reminisces about his father's death. It just goes to show how memorable that scene is, I guess. BtE's remembrance garden scene certainly harkens back to that, albeit with the focus on Lister rather than Rimmer.

Heh. I really liked that bit. I like some silliness.

It's the weakest for me, but you're right concerning the bunk scenes. They intentionally decided to bring that back I think and they were amongst the strongest parts of Red Dwarf 8 I think.

4. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Theres also an observation dome scene in Thanks for the Memory

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm another series 7 lover.

I'm still not too fond of the first two episodes, but Duct Soup, Beyond a Joke, Blue and Epideme are among my all-time favourite episodes.

6. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

I'm also mystified as to why series 7 and 8 get such a bad rep with fans. I will agree that series 3-6 were RD at its peak - hell, I even love Meltdown, and that series 7 and 8 didn't have the same vibe (maybe due to the more elaborate production design and sets) ... but it's still RD as far as I'm concerned. I don't think I'm the first person to say that I'd rather watch a bad RD episode than the best episode of The Office, but it's certainly something I agree with. I liked BTE better the second time I watched it, back-to-back. I will admit I was ready to strangle Doug at the end of part 2, but liked the homage to BTR at the end. The laughs are there, but I guess we're all so used to the studio audience adding to the atmosphere that that's what BTE was missing. By the way, I hate Blade Runner and as such the references to it just went whooosh.

The only thing I didn't like about series 8 was the fact that the crew was resurrected, but I can understand why Doug went in that direction. That said, I still think series 8 is hilarious - I remember on its TV run nearly choking with laughter when Rimmer proudly declared 'The world loves a bastard!'

7. Julia

Julia Catering Officer

no i also like it:P plus im weird i wake up in the night and sleep by day i eat on my head and drink lying down:P:P im not wierd:P nooo im not weird im hugry!!!! neeeeeed foood feeeed meeeeeeee.....

8. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Meltdown is one of my favourite episodes. I watched it again recently and I still get tears in my eyes from the laughter.

9. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

My favorites are 2, 1, and 7, then 3. Seasons 4-6 became strings of jokes, usually great, but the stories and what was done with the characters was more real and 3-dimensional in seasons 1-3 and 7. Those stories mattered more.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Interesting. I'd have thought series 4-6 had more complex stories overall than the earlier episodes. Apart from the odd episode here and there in series 1 and 2 (i.e. Stasis leak and Future Echoes.)

11. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Series 7 is very good! I think it is one of the best and would have been the best if Chris Barrie hadn't been a big girl and left!

If he'd have been in the episodes then it would have been top banana

12. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The problems with series 7:

1. Too many changes to take on board. Rimmer leaves which hurt the show but worse than that a new character appears who is both female and smart destroying the central "Dark Star" concept of men in space. Kochanski's personality is also rebooted so that she's a fundamentally unlikeable but for none of the reasons that made us love "old iron balls".

2. Bad science rears its head. From the poor intro to the ending of the first episode that totally contradicts its beginning to the non explanation of the time drive suddenly working in an entirely different way to the previous episode in season 6's finale. This paved the way for awful stuff like the mirror universe of series 8. Also, the crew magic up convincing gelf costumes...and lister executes a roundhouse kick on a simulant! What. the. ****!

3. Ouroborus while being a very clever concept completely destroys the Lister/Kochanski dynamic. How can he go on lusting after his mum?

4. A chance to observe continuity is wasted with the whole false arm thing and thrown away on a cheap (both visually and laughterwise) gag.

The good points:

1. It all looks very gorgeous although the CGI has dated incredibly badly incredibly quickly.

2. Some very clever concepts for some episodes, sadly flawed by the previously mentioned bad science.

3. Rimmer Munchkin song!

Removing the laughter track would have improved the show as well.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

People keep saying this but he actually was in half the episodes! I didn't mind the changes, (although I'm glad Rimmer's departure wasn't permanent) but obviously many didn't.

On the other hand it created a new dynamic. The old characters are faced with someone who actually rather competent, highlighting their own weakness. And of course there was that amusing scene in Beyond a Joke, where she came up with an ingenious plan to regains Kryten's body... and it completely went over the lads head.

She wasn't that bad. She was a bit snooty, true and her whining was a bit irritating. It was believable considering the circumstances though, and I found grumpiness quite amusing. She wasn't like that in all the episodes though. I think there's a tendency for people to exaggerate negative aspects of the character simply because they're annoyed she replaced Rimmer.

There's always been a bit of bad science in Red Dwarf. It's usually fun though. What you've described isn't soo much 'bad science' as contradictory, which is fair enough. I wasn't too keen on those changes either. Or more specifically I think more explanation should have been given as the episode Tikka To Ride was rather good.

I wasn't keen on that either. I wouldn't say one neccessarily leads to the other though.

Heh, I wondered at that too considering how tough those things are, although I rather liked the scene. It's actually not that unbelievable though. They took him by surprise and it didn't do any lasting damage. Just because these critters can apparently withstand a volley of bazookoid blasts doesn't mean they can't be knocked off balance. We don't know how heavy they are.

It was a good sci-fi joke though. It is curious that they seem to forget their relationship in other episodes though. I think maybe it's best to see it from a present day point of view. She's the mother of his child... who will be himself in the past true, but.. Ok. That doesn't quite work either. Heh.

I liked the gag. It was pretty grotesque, but I've got a bit of a warped sense of humour.(Zip! Plunk! ) It doesn't spoil continuity though, he's still got plenty of time to lose that limb. Assuming the future they saw is the future that will happen, what with changes to the time-line etc. Following the rules of Future Echoes and Cassandra, it should be though.

Classic moment! Funny little gag combining them with the Sebastion toys from Bladerunner in Back to Earth.

14. bedfordfalls

It wasn't so much the toughness of the simulant I was concerned with but the suspension of disbelief required to believe that Lister could succesfully pull off a roundhouse kick in the first place!

Regarding the arm thing I didn't mean the cutting visual, I meant the crap visual payoff of him as a muscleman. I would have rather he kept the robot arm.

15. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I would agree with that. Some Red Dwarf science drifts into the realms of fantasy rather than science fiction. There's nothing wrong with that.

16. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

Yes there definitely is, for science fiction. This is SF comedy though, so we look the other way a bit sometimes.

17. KatieHingley

KatieHingley Third Technician

I'm afraid I am another person who dislikes series 7 - a lot of my dislike stems from Rimmer leaving. I don't like the direction the Ace Rimmer story went it ruins the dimension jump ep for me which is one of my fave eps. It is a series I don't watch that often. The only highlights for me are 'the kiss' in Blue and the beyond a joke ep is funny although it was strange to see Kryten be jealous.

Katie 8)

18. bedfordfalls

I think people have missed my point about "bad science" and the "Mirror Universe". Confidence and Paranoia and timeslides both take the time to address their central plot device and explain how it comes about. While the science behind these may be "a bit dodgy" it is at least explained and therefore doesn't completely insult the viewers intelligence in the manor the mirror universe and time drive stuff did.

In fact when I come to think about it "bad science" isn't the phrase I was looking for. "No science" is the actual phrase, add to that "no explanation" and I think you'll see how the laziness of the time drive stuff from S7 led directly to the stuff we got in S8 and is totally different from just the things JMC2000 compares it to.

19. Violenza

Violenza Skutter

I liked it quite alot. I think it was mainly down to them "camping up" Kryten. I love the way they changed his character in that way. Chloe wasn't particularly bad, and some of the moments between her and Kryten were good, but the show did need Rimmer because he is an important character for the show. And the special effects were pretty bad, largely due do the weird and unnecessary blurring effects.

Overall I don't get the argument that says Series 7/8 were bad, I liked them both and think that 7 included some of the best Dwarf moments in the whole series. And the picture quality is nicer too, but thats no disadvantage to previous seasons.

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I love 7, and i really dont think the comedy is weaker at all.And i like the way the has evolved over the years. for me cloe's kochanski is brilliant.Shes cute,funny and a bit geeky (but in a very sexy way:-))
    Yes it was a shame that rimmer left but i think they delt with his absents as well as they could have done. i have read elsewhere on this site that some people dont like 'duct soup'? but i love that ep (extended vershion) it s right up there with 'Marooned' as far as dialogue and characteriseation. I also think 'Beyond a joke' is a great ep