Am I the only one who likes season 7?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Baxters_Hooch, Jun 18, 2009.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I certainly think the intention of Duct Soup (other than to hastily replace the Cat episode) was to try and do something really character based like Marooned (although the DVD reveals that the primary reason for doing marooned was that "snow looks good") but I don't think it pulled it off.
    Chloe Annett's Kochanski just isn't funny and is actually irritating in the extreme (and not in a lovable rimmer way). That pretty much kills the episode for me in the way it pretty much killed the rest of the series. I also found Lister's change from hopeless romantic dreamer to borderline creepy stalker to be quite revolting.

I also liked Beyond a Joke at the time as it felt more Dwarfy (although I know its generally hated). Sadly, it's the beginning of a worrying trend of not even bothering to explain things in Red Dwarf that bugs me (in this instance where do the Gelf suits come from).

2. pole85

pole85 First Technician

I'd say its probaby my least favorite season but would have to say its still pretty good the only episode I don't care for is duct soup, other than that i think its a good season just not one of the best. really the only thing that bothers me about the series is kryten when he is whining, its just annoying i like him better when he is pouting.

3. JKD2101

JKD2101 First Technician

No. But I can't stand it. I'm trying to work up some enthusiasm to watch it again to give a second chance. My challenge, if anyone wants to accept it, is to give me enough reasons why I should and I'll bite the bullet and do it:!:

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'll be buying it soon and so will reappraise it. Tikka to Ride is still a fantastic episode even if it all goes downhill from there. Tikka and BTE give me hope as to what New Dwarf would be like with just the core cast and normal(ish) setting.

My gf got into RD after watching BTE with me and as a result I've been buying the DVD's and rewatching it for the first time in years. We've just finished series 4 so we at least have a couple of good series left.

5. SoC00L_L

SoC00L_L Third Technician

I love season 7! Even though Rimmer is not there permanently, he still kinda stays & I like Kochanski's character & the chemistry between her & Lister.

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It was awful, how on earth they thought they could carry on when one of the lead actors quit is beyond me. But that's one in a long list of problems.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

The main character who still managed to appear in half the episodes?

Besides, main characters often leave shows... and the show will still go on successfully. (Just look at the amount of Station commanders Babylon 5 went through. And in the latest series of Being Human only one of the original supernatural triumvirate remains. In that one's case, I'll admit, I miss them and it's really not the same, but it's still decent telly and the replacements are decent characters in their own right.)

Of course how successfully Series VII was is debatable, but while a main character leaving can hurt the programme, it needn't, depending on a) the writing and b) which character fills in the gap. Which is a subset of a) and casting I guess. Of course the casting opens up a whole other can of worms. Undeserved in my opinion.

*In terms of the amount of viewing figures, I understand it was very successful. Amongst hard-core fans, not so much. It all depends on the criteria we use for success, and it's all subjective. Personally I rather like Series VII.)

8. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

I like 7 - it's just not my favourite, largely due to an absence of Rimmer and too many boring Kochanski rants (I can sympathize with her position getting stuck there, but I wish they'd given her some better lines). Still, the more I watch it, the more I find to like in it - there's a lot to it that I missed the first time around because it didn't match my expectations. There are a lot of great concepts, like the sentient virus, in that series.

9. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

VII is on par with BTE for me. Both being my least favourite series. However Rimmer putting Ace's wig on backwards cracks me up everytime and I quite liked Ouroboros and Duct Soup. My least favourite episode is in VII, 'Blue'. The first half is just fine, but the Rimmer experience is just plain scary for someone with automatonophobia :shock:

So, I dont hate series VII but its not one I watch over and over again.

10. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I would say that I liked series VII more then I disliked it but there are a lot of problems with it. The biggest of these being that Chris Barrie leaving as he was IMO the best character and part of the shows backbone. On top of his absence he needed to be replaced and this is another issue because Kochanski just didn't really fit in and only served to make the void more obvious (Duct Soap in particular) and her introduction in the episode "Ouroboros" was the worst episode to be made pre-VIII. Having said that, by and large there was still some clever writing and the opening episode was really very strong (forgiving some plot and continuity flaws) and kinda disproved the theory Doug Naylor has no writing talent. At the end of the day I feel series VII has a lot riding against it but I think was probably as good as it could have been given the circumstances......overall I would say is was on the high end of hit and miss which is much more then I could ever say for the quite terrible series VIII.

11. Reznor

Reznor Guest

i always loved series 7 the jfk thing is great i loved that movie and having another thing i love doing something else i love in it ... cant go wrong :P

12. AnnieMouse

AnnieMouse Second Technician

This I agree with - there's a fine line of having loads of belly laughs, and also having a story to carry them on.

In addition, I really didn't like the way Kryten became some high-pitched whinging mechanoid - just didn't suit him.

But Kryten does get one of my favourite quotes:

"He looks at you the way a starving man looks at a packet of peanuts--like he can't wait to get the wrapper off and taste the salty goodness!"

13. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol the best is when kry acts like a "bad ass" i want to see more of him with out his chip :P

14. lewis1992

lewis1992 Third Technician

Series 7 is MY FAVOURITE SERIES BY FAR! I was very shocked to see many fans dislike it!

To me, the storylines are as good (if not better) than series 6. People just moan people Rimmer left and was replaced by Kochanski (though Chris Barrie went off to do the Brittas Empire).

Some stubborn people don't like CHANGE. They moan whenever the show changes, even if it is for the better! That is exactly why some people complain that it all went downhill after series 6 *sigh*.

15. Slainmonkey

I think that's a pretty generalized view on why people didn't like it. For me season 7 was like a car missing a tire......it can still drive but don't expect to winning any races. It was also the first season to have an episodes that's a struggle for me to watch Ouroboros (granted worse would come in season 8) and the lack of Rimmer kinda made the show feel empty. I do think though there is some worth to series 7, with some good plots and some classic moments but it's not without some pretty big problems IMO.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Really? I love 7, but a recent rewatching of all nine series really brought home to me that, with the exception of Tikka, series 7 had some of Red Dwarf's thinnest storylines. Ouroboros and Blue in particular have almost nonexistant plots.

17. Slainmonkey

Blue I think worked better as a character piece.....specifically for Lister and was a well done way of acknowledging an important character was gone (by having him in the episode). Not only that the episode was mostly a buildup to to a punchline that was one of the show's best jokes. That makes it easier to forgive the thinness of Blues' plot.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It's been quite a while since I've watched Series 7 so I'm typing mostly from memory here but I have to admit I didn't think it was the best. I'd definitely consider it one of the weaker series.

To me, the Kochanski/Kryten conflict that replaced the Lister/Rimmer one just wasn't anywhere near as good, OK Rimmer was still there for more than half the episodes but it was enough IMO to make a very noticable difference. It had some of the weaker episodes and as others have mentioned, some of them actually detract from earlier episodes with both Ace's backstory and Ouroborous being big minuses for me.

I really wasn't keen on how Kryten's character changed with the arrival of Kochanski, the jealousy I didn't mind but the high pitched whining got irritating very quickly to me, similarly I didn't like his analogies either.

That all said, it might be well down the list of my favourites but I certainly don't hate it and I'd still consider it well worth watching.

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i try to be more fair on series 7 because the production problems, but series 8 had no excuses

i like tikka to ride

20. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

I do not dislike any of the series! Video is the new "opiate of the masses" and RD is a good pill.