An episode I swear exists. Please help.

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Grexton, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Grexton

Grexton Skutter

Hello, sorry to make a new topic with my first posting. But, I searched the forum and couldn't find a topic about this. But, back in the 90's when I first saw Red Dwarf it was on a local PBS/College television station. And, one night I swear I tuned into an episode halfway through. This episode was from the time frame of the 7th or 8th season because Chloe Annett was playing Kochanski. Anyways, it's basically a follow up episode to Stasis Leak from season 2. In this episode, Lister dons a fake goatee, and he and Kochanski pretend to be married and play out the hotel scene Lister saw five years previous when he and the Cat went back in time. To basically fool him to keep doing what he was doing so history wouldn't be changed.

I quickly changed the channel because I didn't want to only see half an episode, and the station played Red Dwarf twice a week. So I figured I'd catch the repeat. But, it never reaired and I think the station lost the ability to broadcast the episodes because from then on they were never on that station again. My wife has the entire Red Dwarf collection, and I can't find this episode on the dvds. She never heard of this episode, or saw it. And I'm thinking maybe my young mind played tricks on me that lonely night so many a year ago. But, has anyone ever heard of this episode or seen it? Or have I gone a bit peculiar?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You've gone a bit peculiar. No such episode exists I'm afraid.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Agreed, I can't recall seeing anything like that ever.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

There is certainly no such episode but many people, including myself have said we'd like to see one of this nature; basically following up that episode but from the future Lister's perspective.

The premise has been done in Star Trek with 'Trials and Tribble-ations' and 'The Trouble with Tribbles' where footage from the latter was interspliced with modern day actors from the former to create the illusion that they were appearing in the original episode. I'm sure Dwarf could do something similarly interesting with Stasis Leak but, for now, it seems Doug has little interest in revisiting that particular part of Red Dwarf lore.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Maybe you dreamed such an episode, because it most certainly does not exist. However I always figured that the time machine Lister found was indeed the one he found in the Out of Time and the future versions of themselves were infact the same ones they had encountered in Stasis Leak just years later. Remember the episode Out of Time would have been nearly if not already 5 years for Lister.

6. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

You should have carried on watching it. It would have made you the only person on the planet ever to have seen it, so even seeing only half is better than nothing. You haven't also seen the "Thunderbird Photograph" have you?;-)

EDIT: Just a thought, could you have seen a tiny bit of the bit in "Stasis Leak" where they're in the hotel room, briefly imagined what a future episode leading into it would be like and how it could be done from what you knew of later series, and over time your imagined episode blurred with the actual section of "Stasis Leak" you saw? I'm sure my mind has played similar tricks over the years.

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

That seems very plausible infact it my very well have been when the remastered episodes were doing their run.....since they were done between series 7 and 8 the time seems to make sense.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Time can do strange things to the mind.

I remember many years ago on the forum some girl coming on who insisted that she'd seen some certain scenes in the TV series and wanted to know which episodes they occurred in. The thing is, she was describing moments that had occurred in one of the novels. Better Than Life I think. It took a lot of persuasion to finally convince her that she had only read these things, not seen them.

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

It's obvious from this that you're actually the Dungeon Master.

Now where's my unicorn...

10. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Not really that troubling when you think about it. The direction events took are not exactly at the height of originality, so are one of the more likely paths you might imagine it taking, and as for the line itself, I doubt you got it word-perfect but the gist wouldn't be too hard to get (it is rather cliché), and seeing the script your mind probably twisted the memory to suit the words in the script as though it was word-perfect.

Sometimes the mind will run away with itself, often during sleep, and continue something that is on your mind. I had this happen to me a lot last year, writing swathes of a story I was reading while I slept until in the morning I had to spend ages disassembling was I had come up with and what was reality. Sometimes, the bits I came up with were pretty close to what was written. It's the whole argument of monkeys at typewriters.