An idea for series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Gluben, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Similar to series 3 of The League of Gentlemen or season 4 of Arrested Development, what about a series of six episodes which take place over the same period of time but focused on slightly separate, yet intertwining storylines for each character? All details would then be revealed in episode 6.

I have some ideas, but what are people's thoughts?

2. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

If we are talking about ideas for a possible next series, I think it would be a decent idea if Doug set out to pen a bottle episode from the beginning of the writing process. `Duct Soup` and `Dear Dave` were both crap because they both felt forced and were written in a hurry.

`Marooned` showed how it can be done though when time is taken (as have other sitcoms such as One Foot in the Grave) and it would obviously save money for other episodes which might be essential considering Dave`s budgets.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I would have to vote no for this. The writing for Red Dwarf is better IMO when it's not trying to be too clever or quirky and I just can't imagine this working at all well. I'd far prefer to see good, stand alone episodes.

4. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I think that's a great idea, although I'd like to see 12 episodes, the first six just being normal stuff and the second lot being the idea you suggested. That way everyone would... should... could... be happy!

5. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

That sounds like it would make for a fairly messy and inconsistent series IMO, I'd also be a bit concerned about a 12 episode run personally, Doug doesn't seem all that brilliant at keeping to his budgets which lead to the rushed cliffhanger ending we got for RDVIII, I'd be a bit concerned that they'd get 9 or 10 episodes in and realise they'd ran out of money for the last episodes.

I'd add as well that even then I'd still much rather see a dozen single episodes. For the most part the weakest Red Dwarfs are IMO generally the multi-parters (BitR, BtE, Pete), I just don't think Doug's strength as a writer is in writing longer, interlinked episodes like this, he's much, much better at writing shorter, more or less stand alone episodes.

6. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Hmm I'm sorta with Simon on this one, but possibly for different reasons. Simon seems to doubt writing ability, where as I think if you mean episodes just involving one character and then another episode just involving one character would make things seem pretty bare.
    Going back to episodes that are nice individual stories like a lot of red dwarf, up until series 7, is like works very well. I wonder if Doug is just trying too hard sometimes in the more recent episodes he wrote. I can imagine it being quite a pressure cooker because he only really has 6 shots at making something worthwhile and appealing both to old and don't forget, new audiences. It can be a tricky combination. I presume that's why they did push the more futuristic look in recent episodes, so it appeals a bit to younger and newer audiences....ones who have grown up with things like lord of the rings being their childhood.
    I do understand the concept you suggest however, I watched a movie with this very concept, which was rather good

7. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Nah, sounds terrible.

8. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

I would certainly keep the episode count at six rather than 12. Agreed that Doug tends to be better at writing standalone episodes, but I think you could still write each episode so that it works as a standalone episode, as well as part of a larger story.

My favourite series has always been VI. Not just because of its loose story arc of finding Red Dwarf itself, but also because some of the episodes did link in slightly. Rimmerworld referenced Gunmen of the Apocalypse as happening "a couple of weeks back", plus it also alluded to Lister as a brain in a jar in Out of Time.

Not only that, but I'm probably in the minority for liking the claustrophobic feel of Starbug and having a lot of action each week. It was straightforward, and admittedly there was a greater gag count due to their influence of US sitcoms (and it followed a formula), but it seemed to me to be consistently funny. I tend not to like episodes where not a lot happens and action is largely confined to Red Dwarf itself, with little or no threat, i.e. Dear Dave.

9. Diet_coke

I can agree with what you said there, Glenn.
    I also like the claustrophobic feel to episodes of red dwarf.

10. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Well considering today's news, it'll be interesting to see what happens!

11. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Duct Soup was NOT crap at all.

12. Diet_coke

Certainly will be mate!

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

It wasn't crap exactly but it kinda stands in the shadow of the far better much funnier episode marooned

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Yep. It was a poor attempt at replicating the dynamic of Marooned...if you please...:roll: