And so it continues...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by "Christmas rubbish", Jul 22, 2015.

1. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Some may be aware of an (almost) scandal I uncovered a few years back regarding a certain Smeg Out's competition.

You can see it HERE - somewhat defensive response several people too. Basically, no one knows who won, if anybody, as it was never announced.

BUT... have I discovered another shambolic competition??!!! Just stumbled across this somewhat awful early 00s gameshow (are any of the contestants members here?) and see that yet ANOTHER position was offered to work on the Red Dwarf Movie!!! Surely someone is missing a prize as the movie never happened. I would be gutted!!!

Skip to 2:40 to see the competition... GREAT SCOTT!!!!! Thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NziO4dOZ3rw

:? :? :?

2. PFMC84

PFMC84 Catering Officer

I could live with not being involved in the non-existent movie if I was given one of only 3 huge Starbug models in the world.

Also, we don't know if the BBC or anyone reached out to him in the meantime and offered him something else as a way of apology due to him not winning the full prize. Let's not simply jump up and start shouting 'scam' just yet!

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I'm unclear as to why this has anything to do with GNP or Red Dwarf?

This was a BBC-produced show, the competition - and any responsibility relating to its prizes - lies with them. If they were unable to source the promised prize, it will have been down to them to come to an alternative arrangement with the contestant.

You should post this on the Whatever You Want forum, if anywhere.

4. "Christmas rubbish"

I wasn't suggesting it was anything to do with GNP but it quite obviously is to do with Red Dwarf.... Cos it's about Red Dwarf?!

Look at his excited little face in the video. It only he knew it was going to be cancelled and he would end up with nothing!

:-(

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Ugh...Gaby Roslin.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Not her last connection with RD, either: she co-hosted the Series X premiere screening with Paul Ross (who seemed to be a genuine fan of the show).

7. "Christmas rubbish"

I don't agree. What the hell do disability cuts have to do with the point I've raised or red dwarf? Slightly ridiculous comparisons! I can't for the life of me work out why people are getting so touchy and defensive about this (see above). The fact is, someone, somewhere may have been lied to... For the second time!!

And the pictures of Pluto were amazing FYI!!! :x

8. "Christmas rubbish"

This answers your original quandary!

9. andyedge

andyedge First Technician

Irony?
    Sorry Anti E, but I can't see why you are getting so worked up about this. Whether the prize was given or not matters little in the grand scheme of things (cliché alert), so why do you actually care?

Just let it go man, Reader's Digest didn't tell me who won the countless number of prize draws I had been 'invited' to enter, but you know, whatever :-)

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

And I thought I had a good-sized portion of chips on each shoulder...

11. "Christmas rubbish"

Errrr, explain? I don't like being misled. Do you? :x

12. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

I agree with Jason. There are so many more important issues that are worth campaigning on. I also don't think it's for us to fight battles on behalf of individuals who may not want them fought. It's most likely that the contestant accepted a different prize, or was simply mature enough to realise it had been offered in good faith.

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

It's unfortunate that the movie never happened. And one could argue that it was perhaps a tad irresponsible to offer such a prize before it was officially in the bag. But I think defining it as a misleading lie is a bit harsh, to say the least. It was unfortunate, but these things happen.

Also, the guy won an original full-size Starbug model from the show, which is not to be sniffed at. As a fan I'd be pretty happy with that! :-)

And as an aside, for what it's worth I agree with the above that there are much more important issues to campaign on. One would be forgiven for lumping this particular issue into the "First World Problems" category.

14. "Christmas rubbish"

Err, I wasn't suggesting it was the most important issue. No one on here seems to care because it obviously doesn't affect them!! Remember the phone quiz scandal? Should that have been ignored because it wasn't a first world problem? I think not...

I never said it was a "first world problem"! :x

I entered the Smeg Outs competition and would like a giant Starbug too!!!!!

15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Well this is a Red Dwarf forum and not a save the world forum, some other fix this or that forum or even a Blue Peter forum, so it really is a valid question about the results to the RED DWARF competitions. Maybe someone did win and received prize 'X' or replacement of a prize that was not available or maybe even totally forgot about.

It may be that all the details about the competitions were lost over the years, but hell yes ! this is a Red Dwarf forum and as such I am interested in who won.
    I would rather read stuff about Red Dwarf on this forum than 99% of the other nothing to do with Red Dwarf that is posted. That includes the rubbish I sometimes post as well.

So Ant E, Yeah man ! keep on asking what you want to know about Red Dwarf related topics :-)

16. Freeborn

I never said you did.

Okay, no need to get all exclamation pointy at me. I didn't run the competition. :lol:

Just out of interest what was the prize on offer to the winner of the Smeg Outs competition?

But we all know the answer to the question this thread is based on: The movie was never made! So obviously the prize to partake in it cannot exist.

And sure, the Smeg Outs competition question is valid. And yes, I s'pose it's somewhat understandable that Ant (and apparently yourself) want to know who the winner was. But as Andrew (ex-admin) made clear on numerous occasions, unfortunately we don't know the answer. There doesn't appear to be an official record of it (not that I necessarily see a reason for there to be). Yet Ant keeps bringing it up over and over again, thread after thread after thread. For years this has been going on.

If it really matters that much, then, rather than asking the same question over and over again (knowing what the answer is going to be), perhaps Ant could lead an investigation, searching forums and facebook groups in the hope to come across the winner. I don't fancy the chances much, but if found I for one would be happy that all this could finally be put to rest once and for all. :lol:

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

He's a genuine fan of a few things...if you please

18. Freeborn

Ant - as an additional aside, did you ever write an official letter of inquiry to GNP? That's where I would start if this mattered to me. Although obviously the best time to have done that would've been back then rather than all these years later when it's much less likely to be resolved. But perhaps sending a formal letter would help potentially track down the specific individuals responsible for the competition. :-)

19. "Christmas rubbish"

Well, the moderator(s) both past and present seem to deem my question a waste of time. The predecessor to Sebastian was, in particular, incredibly rude when I demanded answers! I imagine it was because he got caught up in his own wrong answer by making out the winner was mentioned in the series 7 booklet (he/she wasn't!!)

Incidentally I noticed even Ganymede and Titan did a write up about "Just the Smegs" and, whilst discussing the deleted scenes from the VHS, failed to mention no winner was ever announced! :?

The inquiry continues...

20. "Christmas rubbish"

Unfortunately this inquiry has been delayed! :crying::crying::crying::crying: