Angela's informal rewatch

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by angelcakes83, Feb 23, 2014.

1. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    I've noticed the "mouthing thing" but never payed any attention to the eye contact thingy. Hummmmmm but who can blame any one from not having eye contact. It could be as a result of stage fright or unintentionally from trying to concentrate and remembering your lines.

2. Heath_RDIC

Heath_RDIC Skutter

Yeah... We are a bit obsessive. And also, there's a difference in... OK, so we love doing the podcast, but sometimes when you HAVE to watch something - usually at least twice - to be able to review it and rate it and quote from it, etc. It gets kind of difficult to just ENJOY it.

And as has often been pointed out, Red Dwarf may not be the ideal show for intense scrutiny and continuity analysis and postmodern cultural critiques. That's how Angela and I watch most shows, and how we had to handle watching RD for a podcast. (Picture that scene in "A Nightmare Before Christmas" where Jack is dissecting toys and Christmas ornaments to try to figure out what Christmas is. That's kind of us.)

But I want (and I think Angela would say the same) to be able to watch the show because I WANT to watch it. And I want to put my brain on autopilot and just laugh at the jokes. Now that we've completed our first super-intense critical watch, I feel like I can do that - just relax a bit and just enjoy it for what it is. In short (too late!), now that we've viewed it once as critics, we want to watch it as fans.

3. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

I always thought it was annoying the way fans quested for the classic "bunk room scenes" (and Doug started playing up to this in later series), as if it was the bunk room that made it classic and not the interaction with the characters.

I love a good bunk room scene. But then I love a good drive room scene. Or starbug scene.
    The location of the scene isn't what makes it great ;-)

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

And as with a lot of rewatches a lot of episodes grow on you as you watch them more but then again a few tend to get worse with more viewings :? Lol

5. angelcakes83

angelcakes83 Third Technician

Had the weekend off for my birthday, but before I plunge into dissertating, I decided to do a little post about series 1, episode 4: "Waiting for God."

This episode, at least the A plot, revolves around the Cat people and their religion (again, another thing that I think the novel did much better). The Cat people have been "waiting for god," and it's just as absurdist as the Samuel Beckett reference of the title would imply. The last remaining Cat people (that we know of) are Cat and the high priest. Cat seems to have a basic religious education, but otherwise cares very little about Cloister, whereas the high priest is highly devout but with a failing faith. And, of course, all of this depends on the dubious notion that Frankenstein understood enough of human language to know what was happening. Looking at my cat right now, who looks rather like Frankenstein, I find that unlikely, though who knows what Cat evolution has happened by the time it produced Frankenstein. Even the name perhaps implies a certain amount of genetic manipulation.

I do enjoy Lister's existential crisis as to his role as God (as well as Rimmer's reactions). He's still a bit disconnected from his emotions, but that's what to expect in series 1. I do wonder, though, how the later Cat would have reacted to all this. While Cat has always been zany, series 1-2 Cat has very little to do with everyone else. I keep thinking of the "The Beginning" Cat who urges Rimmer to exorcize his personal demons. Very different from "investigating feet" Cat. I know I've read some people who prefer first series Cat, and I like him just fine, but I think I like him better when he's more emotionally involved with the rest of the crew.

But, really, the A plot is entirely overshadowed by the B plot: Rimmer and the aliens. I sort of hate the they've dropped Rimmer's obsession with aliens. Rimmer loves power structures, but he feels contempt for the actual people in power (never intentionally to their face, of course), so his belief that the real superior beings in the universe have to be not-human (and not made by humans) is perfect. And, of course, the ranting about quarantine just made me squee for a certain later episode.

I also miss Cat literature in the future. I'd love it if Rimmer had finally forced Cat to complete a form, but it was all in Smell. And then Rimmer keeps bugging everyone else to translate it, but every time they read (smell) it they just break off laughing, so that Rimmer is driven crazy by what Cat may have written... And now I have to go write fanfiction. I guess I'll see you all when I next talk about "Confidence and Paranoia."

6. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I just love that idea; it's hilarious :lol:

7. angelcakes83

Oh, wow, it's been a while! Travel and work, etc. etc. Anyway, I finally gave series 1, episode 5, "Confidence and Paranoia" a rewatch, and I wanna tell y'all what I thought about it.

This actually holds up quite well. Chris Barrie is at the top of his game, Craig Charles is a lost little puppy, and Cat is self-serving to a fault. I think this is particularly what people think of when they refer to series 1 Cat. I have to wonder, though, what's in his perfume bottle. Best not think about that too hard.

Lister continues his quest for Kochanski's hologram, being I think the last time this is a plot point. (The search for Kochanski continues a few other times, but not for the hologram.) His theory about confidence and paranoia is interesting, though it seems to fit more book Lister than TV Lister... which is odd, as this episode was left out of the book except for a few jokes here and there.

Speaking of this episode and the book, I remember when we were first watching it Heath and I commented that the leading man in the sappy movie Lister is watching sounds a LOT like Jimmy Stewart. Even though the situation doesn't match up, that actor is the lead in It's a Wonderful Life, Lister's all-time favorite movie from the book. Perhaps they couldn't get the rights to the movie at the time? Which, given it's copyright history, is a bit odd.

Rimmer seems to be having a great time in this episode, as all the bad things happen to Lister. Yet he gets over his smugness enough to actually show concern for Lister, insisting that he kill off the germs, or the personifications of Confidence and Paranoia.

You know what Holly is great at? Being a running-gag C-plot. Not only does he get to do what I would love to do (erase things from my memory so I can watch them afresh), but he chooses Agatha Christie. A smart choice, as Christie novels are the best when read for the first time. You can still enjoy them later, but at the first time they're so much fun. I've never really been able to figure out a Christie mystery before the reveal.

That's enough for now. See you again for the resolution of the cliffhanger, Me2.

8. angelcakes83

Hi, everyone! I gave the series 1 ender "Me2" a watch, and this is what I thought.

I guess since I've read the first novel now, this is one of the episodes where they pulled A LOT of material. And I have to say that some of the jokes that worked really well in the book are sort of awkward in the episode. For instance, the joke about Rimmer cutting newspapers headlines praising random Arnolds and pasting them on his wall. In the book it was funny, since the narration could explain the joke to us, and it was along a whole list of Rimmer's pretensions and neuroses. In the show, however, Lister has to painstakingly explain the joke to us while Rimmer tries to shut him up. I mean, when you have Rimmer's introduction to the death video communicating his neuroses and pretensions more successfully, why have the press clippings?

I'm again going to praise Chris Barrie (I usually do), as well as the direction. At no point was there ever a question as to who was the "real" Rimmer and who was the second Rimmer. You almost didn't need the characters to remind us which was which. At the same time, both Rimmer's were essentially Rimmer, just different sides of the same coin.

Lister, though... This is actually one of Craig's weaker episodes. He's again doing that thing where he won't give eye contact to anyone. His delivery is pained sometimes... though occasionally that's the fault of the writing (i.e. having to explain that joke). His acting toward the end is good, but he's a bit off... which I know he's going to get over.

I think one of my favorite Cat scenes ever is when he leaves "something" in Lister's locker, realizes he's been spotted, and then is all like "Did you see his face? Could you spot him in a parade? I don't think so. I could have been anyone." I dunno... that just makes me laugh quite a bit.

Much is made of the Gazpacho soup scene, and Chris certainly puts in a good performance. It honestly didn't effect me as much on the rewatch. Perhaps since I've read the book and gotten the "extended cut" of the scene? I do admire Rimmer's drink choice, though. I definitely want to drink girly drinks with Rimmer sometime. Maybe add a cherry and some grenadine to the mix.

Now that I've finished the first season rewatch, and I'm staring the David Ross Kryten episode in the face, I can't help but wonder what the show would have been like if Kryten had been there from the beginning (Robert Kryten, of course). Like, not if he was part of the crew (like in the American pilot), but if he'd been picked up by Holly for some reason. Or come in on the second episode. I guess it's better to bring him in when Lister has a bit more handle on things so that he can help straighten Kryten out (or corrupt him, as the case may be). I just wonder how the power dynamics at the beginning would have played out differently, since so much of the first season is about power dynamics.

So, season 1 recap. Lister goes into hibernation over a cat, and the crew all die because of Rimmer. 3 million years later, Lister wakes up to a space-crazy computer, an evolved, fashion-conscious Cat-person, and the hologram of his roommate (the horrors). Rimmer and Lister try to deal with their own various forms of mortality, the power relations between the two of them, and the most free time than anyone has ever had ever. Everything is really insular and claustrophobic, so Rimmer longs for aliens and Lister longs for Kochanski. Cat is a giant id (food, sleep, sex... though thwarted in the latter), and Holly plays jokes to fill the time. Let's see how the next season will take all this and build upon it, when we get to series 2, episode 1: "Kryten."

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Another entertaining review, Angela.

I actually read the gazpacho soup scene years before I first saw it, and it works so much better in the novel. It's a great piece of comedy writing from Rob and Doug. There's so much more depth and colour to it that the TV scene always seems really flat in comparison. Some things in Red Dwarf just work so much better on the page than on the screen.

10. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Thanks Angela :-)

I'm not sure I can always spot which Rimmer is which, although I think in some scenes it is set up from the beginning so it's just a case of following each version's progress through the scene.

But thanks for the good read, again 8)

11. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Wish my fist love Angela would return

12. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Wonder why she left.

13. Ant E

Are you responsible, Ron?!?

14. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Maybe, baby.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm guessing that she's just too busy in her day-to-day life to post here often.

In case you don't know, Angela, her husband (Heath_RDIC) and Shane (cirenshane) are the people behind the brilliant Red Dwarf Introcast.

16. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Ah marvelous, thanks for the info.

17. Ant E

She's married????!!! :crying::crying::crying:

18. Ant E

Oh Angela

[​IMG]