Animated Red Dwarf?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Dismembers, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Something I have been mulling over recently is how successful an animated version of Red Dwarf could be.

I’m talking about proper 25-30 minute episodes like now but instead of being filmed they are animated. The characters would all be voiced by the actors, written by Doug Naylor and music by Howard Goodall.

I’m hoping to see 2 more ‘normal’ series of 6 episodes on Dave but after that perhaps animated versions could be beneficial.
    The pros and cons as I see it.

Pros:

Solving the age issue: This has been brought up a few times, its not something that worries me but their advancing years could soon start to become problematic for the guys, for Danny to act as the energetic Cat and for Robert to wear that suit all day.

Availability: I don’t work in television but I suspect its easier and takes less time to voice animated content than it does to film. This could help with Craig Charles getting time away from Corrie for example.

Budgets/Logistics: Watching the making of DVDs we always hear about how an episode had to be ditched or re-written because they ran out of money, this would be much less an issue with an animated series.

Cons:

Model Shots: For me this would be the biggest con, the model shots and visual effects in Red Dwarf and great and I’d really miss them.

No Studio Audience: The live audience and the live performances really make a difference in my opinion.

Change: It just wouldn’t quite be the same I think, seeing Lister in his leather and dreads, Rimmer with his H, Kryten with his head shaped like an amusing ice cube.

As you can possibly see I’m quite torn on this so wanted to get the thoughts of other Dwarfers if I could.

2. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Yeah, I'm not really feeling it. For me, a lot of the humor is derived from the expressions and mannerisms of the cast, which would obviously be lost in translation. I think it'd just be too reminiscent of the God-awful mobisodes, in my opinion.

3. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Fair point, a major con that I only touched on would you'd lose the live performances of the actors.

Must admit I've never seen a mobisode.

4. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    As I said in the past. If there ever is an animated version of the show it should have a similar formula to Futuama. Maybe even made by Mat in his style.

5. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Personally I'd rather see a claymation version, ala "Back in the Red"... :lol: Just kidding.

No I'm not.

6. goldy_T_O_T

goldy_T_O_T Deck Sergeant

Ont Canada eating cat nip and drinking Milk
    I like that idea too. :-)

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

If they were using the original actors to voice, I don't think it necessarily has to lose anything in the translation. Most cartoon voice actors are really physically animated whilst recording their dialogue. This is recorded on video and aspects of it are passed on to the animators who create the cartoon from the audio and the voice actors physical performances.

I personally would love to see an animated version of the show. More to see how it works in a cartoon format than anything else though...I'm just not sure how practical or cost effective it would be. Would an animated show attract as much attention and viewership as the live action? Or would it have to be made with a younger audience in mind? I personally can't see it being worth it from that point of view...but then I have no actual experience or practical knowledge in this field. (or many fields for that matter...)

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

[​IMG]

9. whatthesmeg

whatthesmeg First Technician

I'm here , I'm there , I'm everywhere , so beware!
    It could work if the original cast members actually voiced the Animation. If not it wouldn't work if voice actors attempted to sound like the Dwarfers. It be like having own brand Cornflakes.:shock:

10. whatthesmeg

whatthesmeg First Technician

I'm here , I'm there , I'm everywhere , so beware!
    It could work if the original cast members actually voiced the Animation. If not it wouldn't work if voice actors attempted to sound like the Dwarfers. It be like having own brand Cornflakes.:shock:

11. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

If it was cannon but non-essential to the real series - as in nothing happens that you have to see to get what happens in new TV show eps, perhaps it could fill the 9 years between s8 and BTE, it could be in mock-live-studio setting, as in they would think about how the stage would be set up and all that and keep that formula, unless they needed to break it for an epic scene.

12. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

I just had a thought:
    Red Dwarf the Clone Wars

13. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

I just had a thought:
    Red Dwarf the Clone Wars:lol:

14. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Interesting some of you mention Futurama, it was when I was thinking about how 'inspired' it was by Red Dwarf (accidental or not) that gave me the idea of animated Red Dwarf.

15. ori-STUDFARM

Whilst this would be preferable, I don't think it would be essential at all. A professional soundalike voice actor could do a job well enough so that you couldn't tell.

16. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

It could probably work if they could only get a hold of Barrie and John-Jules for recording. I think we all know why. *cough*IdentityWithinandBodysnatcher*cough*

17. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I'm personally not a fan of annimation spin-offs (such as the Star Wars cartoons, etc), but if it doesn't harm the TV Show that I love and it brings a new audience then I would be game for it.

18. simulant37

The only benefit of an animated series would be the freedom to expand the scope of the show uninhibited by budget. . .8)

19. ori-STUDFARM

Now you see, I am. Not all of the Clone Wars though. Most of it was s***e. But when it did become good, it was fantastic...the Mortis Trilogy episodes were, for me, up there with some of the finest Star Wars ever produced. Part 1 actually giving Empire Strikes back a run for it's money...IMO of course :-)

Whilst definitely a benefit, surely not the only benefit. Especially for people like me who enjoy animated spin offs of other shows (provided they are done well...) :-)

20. simulant37

It is the "only benefit". . .:roll: