Another Only the Good...-Back to Earth filler

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Daniel, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

As some of these threads are still floating about (and were quite prominent last weekend!) I thought I'd share the views of this particular raving maniac Dwarfer. Putting it all in a new topic just feels easier than trying to scatter it across other threads, as well as making it easier for me to focus on exactly what rubbish I'm spewing. Disclaimer: things have probably been suggested before, but I can't be bothered to scan the threads for every previous thought. These are my thoughts (sorry, it's a bit long:-(

Rimmer
    Where better to start than with everyone’s favourite second technician. The main issue that seems to be on the board is whether this is the old or new Rimmer (who died at the end of ‘Only the Good…’ according to Death, who you’d think would know about these things), and his status as a hard-light hologram. Based on his prior knowledge and the fact he seems to have a slightly shorter rod up his backside, it seems to be that we are dealing with old Rimmer again. This seems to be an accepted fact.
    As for his hard-light status, what with the amended light bee travelling god only knows where as Ace (although after nine years I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been dead eight years, eleven months and thirty days; it is our Rimmer after all!), my thought here lays quite simply with the currently off-line Holly. Although Legion may be the only being that has developed hard-light technology, the hologram projection unit aboard Starbug must have contained some form of record of this technology, which may have survived the crash (like the confidential files). Although useless to the Dwarfers themselves, the new and restored Holly aboard the reconstituted Red Dwarf (the one with the pointy head seen at the end of Back in the Red Part 3) could quite likely have reverse-engineered the hard-light technology from these records. After all, he still had an IQ of 6000, as without 3 million years alone he had not gone senile. With the rest of the crew gone following the events of ‘Only the Good…’ it would leave either Lister or Kochanski as the ranking crew-member and so could get new Holly to regenerate Rimmer from the old personality records with hard light. As to exactly why they’d want to regenerate Rimmer as a hologram again, I don’t know. Maybe new Holly just had the same thought as old Holly and did it himself to keep them sane. Or a potential amalgamation of the two Hollys caused it to do this for the Dwarfers (who knows what would happen when new Holly managed to find the old one after all), as old Holly had learned that Rimmer was effective at keeping Lister sane where rebuilding the whole crew had failed.
    As thus, we have a hard-light version of the old Rimmer who knows about the Despair Squid and the SSS Esperanto.

Red Dwarf un-remastered
    Okay, the Dwarf has reverted back to the version following the cut backs from the JMC it would appear. This is just something gauged by the stunted version that appears in Back to Earth in contrast to that long one used for the Remastered episodes. Although it may not be.
    Assuming in the wake of ‘Only the Good…’ the rest of the Dwarfers had come back into their own universe with a version of cesiumfrancolithicmyxialobidiumrixydixydoxidrexidroxhide obtained from the other universe (obviously it was the negative virus they got the professor to create for them before they came back), they would have been able to cancel out the effect. I realise in the original ending it restored the ship, but that was a deleted scene and so I’m choosing to ignore it for the purpose of this. End result: a ship that’s been messed up by zogothoniumelimoxiixiexiphulmifhidikalidrihide while they were away (yes I did just copy the name from the database on the website), and so one in need of repair work. Enter new Holly again, who (assuming he wasn’t fried by the virus) could probably find some means of fixing it all. In the books he managed to do a hell of a lot in a handful of nanoseconds when the radiation leak occurred, so with an IQ of 6000 I think he could probably manage to fix things up to some extent. Prior to his damage (which I took to happen shortly before Back to Earth), there would have been time to repair the ship to a salvageable extent, at the cost of a fair chunk of the thing. Thus we have a stunted version again that still shares of the qualities of the remastered version.
    I will admit that sounds a bit far-fetched, but so do many others things.

Losing the crew
    Well they all buggered off in Starbugs/Blue Midgets, assuming Red Dwarf was screwed. Why would they come back to it? If they did, there is no guarantee that they would be allowed in (Rimmer has proven before he is capable of overriding the cargo bay doors to allow them in against Holly’s wishes, as he did it in Quarantine to send them in to Bay 47). So they are off somewhere I suppose.
    To be completely honest, I wasn’t a great fan of having the crew back anyway, so don’t really care what happened to them afterwards. Maybe if they are still alive nine years later they’ll turn up on some planet somewhere if Doug does a new series. Maybe the virus got onto the shuttles and they were screwed anyway.

Holly’s absence
    Is explained in the show. As the Skutters are still drying him out, I guess it’s safe to assume it happened not long before Back to Earth (as stated above). Only put this bit in due to the various comments about where Holly had gone that littered the boards at one point

Okay then, there are my somewhat random and disjointed thoughts. Make of them what you will, and pick them to pieces at your leisure.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Perhaps old Rimmer was only regenerated after Kochanski "died" for the same purpose as you say above. We know that Lister was "drinking...falling apart" so perhaps it was Old Iron Balls who was needed to give him a reason to go on.

3. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds. Lister starts drinking and falling apart, then gets dumped (although he just thinks she died) and gets worse, and then his "best mate" Rimmer is brought back for him. What a horrible situation that would be. I suppose in that school of thought, the best way to recover is to hit rock bottom, and I can't think of any point in the life of David Lister that could be worse than that particular point. Things could only get better from there

4. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

yep i think its obvious rimmer died after only the good . the ship was saved by either nanobots holly ect ect and rimmer was booted up again as a hard light hologram with all the memories of when he was a hologram before ..as for holly lets hope the damage to him is terminal... as for the crew .. lister should be the last human. so i think the crew are dead ( again ) probably the microbe ate away at them or they just ran out of supplies.. and as kochanski is from a different dimension that would leave lister as the last human once again .. if a new series is made i really hope none of the old crew return

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

She is still human! And as far as we know still in the same dimension on a blue midget somewhere... But I like the ideat that Lister is back to being the last male human again. Katarina's reference to 'finding a mate and recreating the human race' certainly suggest the resurrected crewmembers are dead or expected dead.

As for the ship's design, actually it isn't quite the same as the original version. It's short like the original and has a similar engine booster/thing but it's actually quite slim like the resurrected version. This makes me wonder if nanobots were used again to rereate the ship, this time as a hybrid between the two versions. (Why they would do that I'm not sure. It's hardly likely the crew care about the shape of their vessel as long as it's space-worthy or not falling apart. Maybe a huge portion of the ship was damaged by the time the nanobots were utilised and it was easier just to lop off that part and fix up the rest.)

Of course it's just as likely that it's supposed to be the same as the first Red Dwarf ship, in the same way that Claire Grogan and Chloe Annette are both Kochanski.

6. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

Well what you gonna do? :idea: Series IX and X need to be filled by:
    a) Another two series.
    b) Fan fiction/books and other spin off media.

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Or they can be left UNfilled. Filling every single gap in the history of Red Dwarf would never happen as it would take a small eternity to do it in any way that seems decent. By leaving them open it gives us things to contemplate and debate amongst ourselves long after the show has drawn to a close. Personally I like it that things are left so purposefully open there.

Anyhow, as I've said before on different threads, by filling out the series' in between Doug will be somewhat limited by what has to happen, and he will want to do it well (like any writer). I'd much rather just see what comes later, perhaps with the odd hint of events that lay behind.

As already stated by MDN, Kochanski remains a human, and an alive one at that. Draw your attention back to "Back to Reality" and you will see that she really needs to make a comeback at the end of all things. It is the purpose of the game for Lister to finally get her, as per the words of Timothy Spall. Plus it is also hinted at in the end of Back to Earth. Lister is not the last human, not anymore.

Although hopefully nobody else from the crew will come back. Detracts from the way Dwarf was meant to be if there are loads of people about.

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

But without Rimmer to annoy and get annoyed with Lister would have gone Space Crazy years ago. he might not recognise it but Arnie has been doing his job fantastically over the years. Plus after 20 odd years together I really don't think Lister and Rimmer do disklike each other anymore. They're like an old married couple who stay together out of sentiment even though logically they should have divorced years ago. Despite what he may have said at the end of "Blue" I think Lister secretly likes Rimmer althogh he wouldn't admit it.
    Even the Lister of 5 years from series 2 invites Rimmer to his wedding :-)

9. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Who said Rimmer was invited? ;-) I wouldn't be surprised if he just realised what Lister was up to and tagged along thinking he could save his own skin, in spite of knowing just how bad it would be with two Rimmers (as per me2)

10. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

i meant that he is the last human from this dimension but whos to know the difference .. if they were to do another series i would really like it to be a final one where lister ends up happily ever after with kochanski ...unless 2 series were comissioned then id be happy to wait 2 series .... or 3 .. im getting carried away now

11. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

:idea::idea::idea:Maybe series X never existed in the first place! Maybe, thay just used that piece of dialouge to designate where it happens. This equation will help understand what I'm saying:

Series VIII:arrow:Series IX=1 Yr.
    Series IX:arrow:Series X=1 Yr.
    Series X:arrow:Back To Earth (Series XI)=9 Yrs.

1 yr.
    +1 yr.
    +9 Yrs.
    -------
    11 Years

Back To Earth takes place eleven years after Series VIII. There - now we can all go home.