Ant's new rushed set report of the week

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Ant the Dragon, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Ant's Set Report:

Yep, I got to see the final ep (potentially) of series 11. It was jolly exciting.

Sets:
    So as I entered the studio, the whole set was covered with black drapes. This, according to Ray Peacock the warm up dude, was because 1. They had a whole new set (replacing the already reported science room) and 2. So we could rightfully give the set designers a round of applause (which we all did)!

The red dwarf set was still up but didn't get used at all. None of the episode takes place on the small rouge one. A set that featured in a lot of the pre records had been taken down and was where the audience seating was. It. Looked. Amazing. It could have been a scene from Harry Potter. So much detail and you will think it was filmed outside its that convincing.

Finally got to see Starbug. I think it's great. Think series three size - with four seats and a load of series 6-7 detail thrown in. I reckon it's cool and the lovely little rotating Starbug graphic is back. Love it!

The main set which replaced the science lab set was amazing. So much detail. You wouldn't know this was a sit com on a digital channel. Top marks to the set designer! When I saw it I thought it was going to be a sequel to a popular ep from the past (but it wasn't)!

story:
    No one character story. Main team caught up in a crazy cap adventure and having to solve a problem. It was funny, it was very different to anything done before. Only concern, found the beginning bit a tad rushed. The set up was a tad confusing but assume it will make a lot more sense when it's all put together. The cast really struggled with their lines in the first scene! Certain cast members looked pissed! It was funny. Some great gags mainly from Cat and Rimmer. Kryten did a lot of story set up - but we do get to see two features/skills that we have never seen before!!! If you saw a tweet from Howard Goodall that will give you a clue!

So? Which series would I link it to? Hmmm... It's as funny as something from 4-7, but could easily sit on series 4 or 7 I reckon! It was mad but with a truly awesome supporting cast. There were a lot of extras too!!! Think lemons people...
    But it had no resemblance at all to any old episode! Doug has written a cracking episode...

Non spoils:
    Main guest stars: Technically I count three main guest stars. I recognised all three but not saying who cos it's spoiler, like. I think geeks will love at least two - but they are all high calibre actors. Oh ok, one of them was on the a cracking kids show about a magic coin haha!! (You won't get it!!)1
    Non spoiler word clue: "banned/band"

Forum spottings:
    I saw Seb P on the way out ( I smiled and said "alright". Had Christmas jumper on. You didn't respond. You were talking and figured you might hit me or something)! But hey, There, ya met me!
    Exciting of all, this bloke said "if you please" TWICE in the holding tent. Yep, I reckon I saw Sim!!!

Any questions?

2. Ant the Dragon

3. jedshepherd

jedshepherd Console Officer

Sounds like a stonking good episode Ant E! Thanks for the write up!

4. Ant the Dragon

You're welcome! Not quite as good as the ones you (and Gatzpato Soup/G&T do), but hey I left on a high!

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Good report, Ant. Sounds like it's gonna be a great episode. Interesting that non of it takes place on the RD ship. Good to have a bit of variety.

Also, the Starbug graphic rotates! Woohoo, that's my little fussy fan wish catered for. :-)

6. Ant the Dragon

Haha we're clearly similar in geek land!!!

7. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I feel genuinely bad that I don't remember seeing you at all! When was this? We were waiting around on set for a bit afterwards so I probably had slight tunnel vision keeping an eye out for Nathan.

8. Ant the Dragon

Haha bad because you were intrigued?? :twisted:
    It was as we were leaving. My middle row collided with yours. You were chatting so it was a feeble "alright"!

It was a cracking show! I think everyone was buzzing!

9. Ant the Dragon

Oh I should add that, although the model shots weren't shown (they used old shots or shots from other shows), we should be in for a treat considering what happens to put the crew into the core of the story!

Oh and there's a hint of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey chucked in too!

The gatzpato soup review is up now which is far better than mine! Well worth a read chaps!

Your text to link here...

10. Ant the Dragon

My set report review of twentica!

How did it compare?

Discuss...

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Not a bad write-up, Ant E. Though I wouldn't say the episode has no resemblance at all to any previous Dwarf episode. It certainly makes me think of Gunmen with it being set in an America of the past and much of the action taking place in a bar.

12. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Please be mindful of the spoiler rules gentlemen.

Many thanks.

13. Ant the Dragon

thanks for your assistance :?

14. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Absolute pleasure Ants.

15. Ant the Dragon

As ever Ron Pembers (the tax man)

16. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

Brilliant report Ant, very tough to write a set report without spoilers and you have done it justice.

Thank you.

17. Ant the Dragon

If only I could write a Q&A!!!!!
    If only someone would reply!!!!!!

:x

18. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Did they start with the same scene as made it to TV ie straight into the action?

19. Ant the Dragon

I can't rememeber. But they cut a scene of kryten playing the saxophone which never made it onto the DVD deleted scenes either? Odd

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  20. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Awesome, Ant! :-D