Any act of injustice?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ourrrob, May 13, 2011.

1. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

Greetings fellow nitpickers. Maybe it's been brought up before, but my search came up with nought. "Beyond this point it is impossible to commit any act of injustice". Loved the episode, laughed loads, etc, etc. But doesn't the act of convincing someone to commit self harm by exploiting their ignorance of the rules, squarely fly in the face of the Justice Field's logic? I refer, of course, to Rimmer's first day in the jug, and his explanation to Lister as to why there are no bars. The mischievous intent was clear, ergo the upholding of justice would surely see an unsinged Lister successfully ignite Rimmer's bedsheets.

Nice example Rimmer; nice example.

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Not really. Neither Lister or The Inquisitor were convinced to self-harm. They tried to commit a crime. The self harm happened as a consequence due to the Justice Field. (i.e. what they attempt on others, or other things, happens to them instead).

3. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

Actually, I think I agree with our rob that Rimmer was trying to commit an act of injustice by duping Lister into setting himself alight, therefore Rimmer should have experienced the consequencies. However, the justice field is an environment with artificial rules, so regardless of how it's described, what actually applies depends on the design of the justice field itself.

4. ourrrob

ourrrob Second Technician

Hmm, yes. Now I think about it some more, there are two crimes being committed here. Lister knowingly engages in the act of arson, and Rimmer knowingly engages in the act of ignition of shipmate. They should both have gone up in flames.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Oh, I see what you mean.

I think the Justice Field works purely on action, so it's the person who actually attempts the crime who is affected. Arguably Rimmer is partly responsible in that Lister didn't know what would happen*, but ultimately Lister still did it. Or tried to.

*Although Rimmer did actually tell him what the Justice Field was about, if I remember correctly. He just told Lister to do that as an example, and Lister, dumbly went along with it.