Any Differences in Red Dwarf Radio Show?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by karnie, Sep 6, 2012.

1. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Hey, it's my understanding that the Radio Shows, sold on cassette, are just the novels read aloud, is this correct? Does anyone know of any changes made between the books and the radio shows? Even minor ones to jokes and references?

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I don't know the exact difference but I think that they are abridged. Backwards omits the part based on Gunmen of the Apocolypse, for example. I think this is fairly common in audiobooks.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The radio shows have added sound effects and a few other differences.

Info here.

4. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The Radio Show does have lots of cool sound effects, but as far as I can recall it omits several large chunks in the name of keeping it short.

- Lister's first conversation about rebuilding Kryten has been cut.

- The repair of the Nova 5 has all the Lister, Kryten and Cat mining stuff cut and focuses solely on the Rimmers.

- The whole Polymorph attack in 'Better than Life' has been cut and replaced with Lister dying of a heart attack brought on by eating Shami Kebab Diablo.

5. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

The radio show versions are good and the added fx are nice. Always used to love listening to them on long car journeys.

6. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Crap, it looks like there may actually be some slight differences which add material... looks like I'm going to have to shell out for that as well. (sigh..) good thing they're on iTunes, although $40 is a bit steep.

7. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

No material added. Just a few lines explaining that Lister's heart attack in the Radio Show was brought on by his curry being too hot instead of the Polymorph's attack as in the book.

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Radio show? Didn't even know this existed!:shock:

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I doubt you're the only one. I only know a few details, and I've never listened to it.