Any more seasons planned?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by YouveBeenKryterd, Mar 12, 2017.

1. YouveBeenKryterd

YouveBeenKryterd Skutter

Hey guys. Just been revisiting the entire Red Dwarf library again and sad to be reaching the end of season 8 soon.

I know there is a new series to come in around Sept this year but I was wondering if you know if there are plans to create a 13th season (and hopefully more)?

I know that the Season 12 stuff got filmed a long while back, which for some reason leads me to believe there isnt going to be Season 13+ because we may have heard about them filming it already if that was the case

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think they'd like to, but there's no confirmation yet.

Welcome to the board!

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

While there's no news yet on a thirteenth series, you shouldn't take the fact that it hasn't filmed yet as indicative that it won't happen; there's no "normal" filming/release pattern for Red Dwarf. XI and XII were deliberately done back to back, which is why it's been so long since XII was shot; however, if there was to be a series XIII, you likely wouldn't hear about it being commissioned until after XII had gone out, it would then potentially be filmed a year or so after that, and then released a year or so after that.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Is XII coming out same time as last year?

5. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

Welcome! :-)

6. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

Normally I am quite happy to be reaching the end of 8

7. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

This is why I really, really hope they can do a dual-series commission again. That's the only way a Series XIV feels like a reasonable hope for me, and I'd really hate to see the show end really soon when it's only just truly gotten back on its feet.

Then again, here I am in 2017 annoyed that this next series of Red Dwarf might be the last, and if not I'll have to wait years for another. 2007 me was still vainly holding out hope for the movie to happen with zero expectation of ever seeing more episodes.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

What is worse, knowing XII is sitting around somewhere and we've got to wait till September to start being drip-fed it, or knowing that after XII it's another plunge into uncertainty where we don't know if there will be any more ever, and even if there is we'll probably have to wait till at least 2020.

Why doesn't this happen with other programmes, how come it's so ad hoc with Red Dwarf? I mean, Coronation Street fans don't have to worry about this sort of thing, do they. The way I understand it is that it used to be on the BBC and the BBC have essentially unlimited funds, so that's why Series I - VI ran back to back no problem. The gap between VI - VII was due to Rob Grant leaving and Craig Charles being falsely accused of rape. Then we got VII - VIII, but the BBC axed it after that for some reason, and it took a decade to find a channel to fund more. But I guess Dave doesn't have the money to fund it properly, ie a series each year like a proper show. So we get this ad hoc "will there be one this year? is this the end?" kind of thing. Maybe Doug should set up a crowdfunding page for XIII.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Hmm, well, there are quite a few inaccuracies here, I'm afraid. I'm not at liberty to go into the ins-and-outs of the budget and commissioning of a currently-running series, but:

- The BBC do not have "essentially unlimited funds"
    - Similarly, UKTV/Dave are not exactly short of money
    - The regularity of commissioning and production of Red Dwarf has next to nothing to do with budget
    - Red Dwarf is a far more complex show to write and produce than Coronation Street
    - Red Dwarf's cast and crew are not contracted to work on the show all year round the way those on Coronation Street are
    - Not having a series every year doesn't mean you're not "a proper show", especially when you're a sitcom
    - It took the BBC almost five years to get the first series of Red Dwarf from script to screen
    - The series wasn't "axed" by the BBC after Series VIII at all

10. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You'll note that that article is from 2007, though - it has nothing to do with what was going on after Series VIII, when the show had just had its highest ever ratings (in fact, highest ever ratings for any sitcom on BBC2 at that point), and the BBC were certainly keen to see more.

In 2000, the plan was to go ahead with the movie, so production of the TV series was placed on hold - not by the BBC, but by Doug and GNP. When the movie ultimately didn't happen, the question was raised with the BBC several years later about whether they might then want to pursue a new TV series. For various reasons, they decided not to take up this option.

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

In 2006-7 the BBC did go ahead though with their own poor rip off of Red Dwarf called Hyperdrive. I think I read somewhere at one point that they wanted Red Dwarf but not anyone who was involved with Red dwarf. result = crapola hyperdrive.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm not particularly a fan of Hyperdrive, but I wouldn't count it as a rip-off of Red Dwarf, unless just being a science fiction comedy qualifies.

But fair point. They commissioned that, and not more Red Dwarf.

I think giving me shows a chance is good though, is just a shame when they're not that good.

14. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

It was the first time I have seen Hyperdrive and I found the intro is the computer saying something in a stupid way with what seems like a low computer IQ (pretty much like early Holly does). The model shots were quite similar with the style of fly by to Red Dwarf as well. Rip off may be a little strong but I see 100% they were trying to make the same program without any of the people involved but the comedy writers were just........lets just say not up to the job.

15. davidjames

davidjames Skutter

In regards to the BBC not commisioning new red dwarf, this does seem odd. I certainly can't think of a decent BBC comedy in recent years. Nothing that is as quality as red dwarf, anyway.