Any theories on why the bunk room changed?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MichaelJRimmer, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    From Series I/II to Series III-V, My favorite theory (which I made, or at least thought of last night) is it says Officer's Quarters in the room. Technicians aren't officers. So maybe they moved in a new room after series II?

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

I think that is the generally accepted theory for the in universe explanation (of course the real reason is the change in set designer from Paul Montague to Mel Bibby). Typically it's thought the radiation level finally dropped in the Officer's Quarters so the boys moved up in the world (it was still contaminated in Series I, as per Confidence and Paranoia). Some like to think that's where they found the Light Bee too, thus the end of the hologram projection cage seen in Thanks for the Memory and Better than Life.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

from the writers point of view it was better quality set, from the red dwarf crew point of view im sure they would move into a better class of bunkroom, i mean wouldnt you?

4. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

+1 Thats the reason I always thought was correct.

5. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Judging by the corridor outside the bunkroom, Lister and Rimmer may have moved a fair few times.

In Series I, the corridor immediately outside their room was plain grey and contained no real detail.
    [​IMG]

By Series II, it had become black paneled and now had large, colourful pipes running along it.
    [​IMG]

The Series III corridor was on the corner of two corridors and was made up of metal grating and white plastic grating walls.
    [​IMG]

By the time 'Camille' comes around in Series IV, the corridor now consists of white plastic frames identical to the doorway into the bunkroom, leading to the left and right of the room.
    [​IMG]

However, by 'D.N.A.' the middle white panel immediately in front of the entrance to the sleeping quarters has been removed, revealing another corridor. It stays like this until it's final appearance in 'Holoship'.
    [​IMG]

6. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

Good eye! Somebody doesn't miss a trick. :P

7. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

You know what? I don't think this ship actually really exists at all. I reckon they must just build a small part of it just for the TV show! I wouldn't be surprised if the drive room and the crews quarters aren't even connected together with coridoors!!

8. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Two words: Unicycle polo.

9. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I don't get what you're saying here. How would that work? How could they fly through space with only a few disconnected bits of spacecraft?

10. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

That's just nonsense. Of course it's real!! How else do you think they get all those beautiful shots of it flying through space?! :P

11. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    Yeah! How the hell would they make it fly. And with starbug? I just assume you think thats a bit of disconnected sets too?

12. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

What I find most disconcerting is none of the Officers Quarters have a door on them.
    So Officers are expected to sleep two to a room and with people walking by at all hours of the day!

Should've moved into the Captain's Quarters tbh.
    If its anything like the precedent set on star trek the captain is probably allowed at least one mile for the five mile long spaceship
    for his own quarters (and, wait for it everyone, here it comes: Looking at Hollister, he'd probably need it! He's standing behind me isn't he? )

13. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

There probably is a door but the boys just never use it and leave it open at all times, I mean with only the four of them it's not like they've got too much to worry about from unwanted visitors or anything.

14. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The Enlisted Crew Quarters from I & II had the ability to close, but was always left open. I presume the same for the Officers Quarters.

15. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

That has always been my theory. I liked the quarters that the rimmers moved to in me2.