Anyone else love listening to the DVD commentaries

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Aug 20, 2010.

1. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I'm currently rewatching series VIII, and I love listening to the commenataries on the dvd, for some reason i love Norman's moaning on it lol whereas on the series I and II commentaries I think he clashed with danny a few times lol and i thinks sometimes he pretends to clash opinions with chris for the sake of it lol. I also love how robert llewellyn laughs at EVERYthing lol

2. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

ME:-D I'm just on my second viewing this year of all the episodesin order this time with the commentaries. When the individual series were released I always watched the making of documentary first closely followed by the commentary then the other other extras and the episodes last of all. It's been a while since I heard the commentaries - had forgotten how entertaining they are.

3. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

Yeah ! me too, it's been a while since i watched them with the commentary and i was about to start watching the whole lot from series 1 to BTE, but now i think i will start them with the commentarty from start to finish.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm a big commentaries fan. It's great to hear a group of friends who worked on the show chatting about it together, though I wish they wouldn't keep going on about frivolous things like Norman's hair.

My favourite commentaries though are the much more informative ones on the Bodysnatcher DVDs that feature Rob, Doug and Ed Bye.

5. Sammy Psycho

I've just finished watching "Balance of Power" with the commentaries, near the end they are talking about Kochanski, I had totally forgot the original cast actress for the part was Alexandra Pigg but due to the BBC strike at the time she wasn't available for the new filming schedule so the part then fell to C.P Grogan.

I had to laugh at Craigs comment on "The End" where he states that the 1st episode got a TV audience of about 1/2 million viewers and that he has talked to at least 15 million people that said they saw the original airing. I can say that i did see Red Dwarf from the Very begining, honest.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Me too, although I didn't continue beyond the first episode back then. (I didn't like it and it put me off going further. I'm glad I changed my mind later. The second episode I saw was Marooned, and that one cracked me up, causing me to reassess my attitude towards the show.) I actually don't mind 'The End' now though.

7. Sammy Psycho

I saw them all up to Thanks for the memory, which was the first one i missed, It was years later when i started to buy the VHS tapes that i eventually got to see it. I just done some looking up and i was 21 years old when the 1st episode aired, lol thats a long time ago.

8. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Can't say I have taken the time to listen to the commentaries. May give one a try tonight though. :-)

9. Sammy Psycho

I'm getting to near the end of the first series commentaries and i have noticed that one thing is beggining to annoy me, and thats when there is a build up to a good punch line in the script, instead of talking about the scenes and what they they thought or approached it, some useless commentary about hair styles or other equally crap comment. I hope it gets better in series 2.

Gripe over,

10. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

I started watching the series one commentaries (a lady of my word) and I can understand where your comment is coming from. Vastly preferring these commentaries though to a lot of the others I have heard (why I have yet to watch them on RD..my favorite show). Many of the commentaries (other projects) seem like ridiculous rear end kissing sessions. "Working with so and so was just wonderful - he is incredible." "No, no, no working with YOU was just incredible...blah blah blah." I do not mind the comments on the random hair styles so much; just a bit of playful banter down memory lane. Enjoying having it on to take the boredom out of laundry folding or other quiet chores when the children are in bed.

11. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Dwarfer commentaries are one of the reasons the DVDs are such keepers. They cover so much material and are very insightful.

12. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

I've begun rewatching the series with the commentaries quite recently and I'm really enjoying them. I get a kick out of discovering things like the fact that Craig was so annoyed with Chris's portrayal of him in Thanks for the Memory that he wanted to punch him. I thought that was hilarious.

13. Sammy Psycho

I have just watched that exact part as well, couldn't help but laugh. I am about to start on series 3 comms and am looking forward to some informative banter. Hattie and robert should also be in S3 commentaries i hope.

14. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I've always thought watching things with commentaries was a waste of time. However, the popularity of this thread has made me curious. I guess it'll be my next little Red Dwarf project.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The only thing that annoys me is when Chloe Annett talks over the others when they're saying something interesting. She did that at least a couple of times.

16. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I actually do understand this from the first time I had the commentaries on. It was like having your best mates round to watch Red Dwarf and they'd talk over and miss my favourite punchlines at the expense of comments about Norman's hair:-( I did get a bit frustrated by that initially but I've come to appreciate that it's a bunch of good mates spontaneously reminiscing about the whole Dwarf experience and their friendship. I did think there was a bit of animosity between Danny and Norman towards the end of the series 2 commentary. The whole dynamic changed with the series 3 commentary with Robert in the group. He has a infectious sense of humour - true charisma. Hattie to me felt like a bit of an outsider but was a bit more integrated in the series 4 commentary. They do talk some rubbish at times but that's part of the fun. I also enjoy that they sometimes can't recollect or immediately recognise the episode they are watching. What made me really laugh last night was at the end of Justice they were all singing the end theme song and didn't know all of the words. Craig quipped at the end "I can see why you are all actors". Starting series 5 tonight.

17. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

Thats why I don't bother with the commentaries. I watched series 1 and 2 with the commentaries years ago, then didn't bother with the others as I found I was trying too hard to pay attention to the episode and the jokes, and the commentary was getting in the way of the episode too much. I kept thinking 'just shut up a minute I want to hear this part' :lol:

18. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

That's why I always used to do two things:

1. Watch the episode first to enjoy the jokes and great moments
    2. Watch it on the PS2, where pressing the R3 button turned the commentary on/off in one press for the quick swapbacks ;-)

Point 2 probably worked on my DVD player, but I never learned how (and now use the PS3, which sadly doesn't have the one button press feature for it anymore :-( )

19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

As a modern 21st century husband and father I tend to listen to these while doing other things like ironing or folding clothes...

20. Sammy Psycho

Yeah by the time I got to the end of series 1 commentaries I was settling in to the fun of it. I'm now upto series 4 and am totally enjoying the commentaries. I have to laugh at some of Hatties commentaries, for example i couldn't believe the comment in 'Backwards' the part where Rimmer is shot out the ejector seat from starbug, Its mentioned that his hat has an arial on it and it was maybe used to hide the strings that pulled him up in the shot. Hattie actually thought what they meant was that the strings were tied to his hat and he was pulled up by the hat. I had a huge laugh at that bless her.