Anyone else love listening to the DVD commentaries

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl

SurfboardingKillerBikiniVampireGirl Catering Officer

As a modern 21st century woman, I have my kickboxing targets set up in the livingroom so that I can practice while listening to Red Dwarf commentaries (though I often bring my laptop into the kitchen and listen while mixing up a batch of something or other as well).

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Be still my throbbing heart.

3. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

That's about the same as trying to chew gum and speak French at the same time...

4. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Just finished series 5 commentary. I was a bit dissapointed but I was when I first heard it. 5 is my favourite series and if Demons and Angels were replaced by Gunmen of the Apocalypse it would be perfection but that's a different thread. My expectations of the commentary were high given how enjoyable the previous 4 commentaries had been, which probably compounded it a bit. I'd forgotten that Craig wasn't able to contribute as he was ill and how his absence altered the group dynamic. They started off impersonating him which was funny but after a couple of episodes him not being there was for me patently obvious. Craig is a very charismatic individual, moreso than Robert, and anyone that's been to DJ will know exactly what I'm saying. His Q&A session at the Birmingham DJ 2009 in particular was an electric performance, a masterclass in engaging the audience. He was on fire that day but imo he always out performs the others on stage at DJ. May just be the mood I was in but sometimes the cast seemed they weren't enjoying the experience as much this time. Series 6 if I recall correctly was very much back on form:-D

I'd also forgotten 5 had a fan commentary - I remembered 6 did because it featured a certain Kier Shiels, a legend on this forum.

5. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Yeah by the time I got to the end of series 1 commentaries I was settling in to the fun of it. I'm now upto series 4 and am totally enjoying the commentaries. I have to laugh at some of Hatties commentaries, for example i couldn't believe the comment in 'Backwards' the part where Rimmer is shot out the ejector seat from starbug, Its mentioned that his hat has an arial on it and it was maybe used to hide the strings that pulled him up in the shot. Hattie actually thought what they meant was that the strings were tied to his hat and he was pulled up by the hat. I had a huge laugh at that bless her.[/quote]

Some of Hattie's comments are cringeworthy, sometimes I thought she was in character acting a bit daft:-) All part of the charm. I found she was much more integrated into the group in the series 4 commentary than 3.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

He/she might have been agreeing with you rather than arguing the point...

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Cpt- D, another former forum regular, appeared in the same commentary as Kier.

The series 5 fan commentary over Back To Reality featured a young woman named Ruth, who was a board regular a few years ago.

8. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

Ah Capt D I do remember - he was 46 when he recorded it - I'm only a couple of months away from being that with no intention of colouring my hair blond (you need to read the fan profiles on the dvd to understand that). Ruth I can't recall.

Started on the series 6 commentary and was literally crying with laughter at the comments over Psirens - you can tell Craig is back:lol:

9. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

additional...

Whilst on series 5 I found the easter egg through the Inquisitor gauntlet which was an "animated" excert from the CD which accompanied the Six of the Best video release of Doug,Rob and Ed discussing RD. Just had to dig it out and record it into my iTunes library. Funny stuff:-D

message ends