Anyone think Naylor may get guest writers in?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Aug 2, 2010.

1. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

Does anyone think Doug Naylor may get guest writers in to co write episodes or write their own episodes for the new series?
    I'm sure naylor probably has enough ideas and stuff built up for the new series. And for me personally, the back to earth stuff showed he could write on his own (more than series VII did in fact). But would it really hurt getting people like Graham Linehan (Black Books, IT Crowd), Jamie Mathieson (Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel) or even Rob Grant or Chris Barrie to write their own episodes?

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I don't think he'll bring in guest writers for the next series. Not that I think it would be a bad way to go in future.

3. Cepillo

Cepillo Third Technician

I think the show would benefit greatly from the kind of fresh perspective a new writer would bring. Back to Earth was ok, but did nothing to convince me that new series would be as good as the show was in its prime.

4. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I agree we need something fresh. But series VIII was fresh in many ways; I mean completely different from previous series. And the result is I'm one of the few who enjoy it!:lol: Fresh can be dangerous!

5. Cepillo

Cepillo Third Technician

Being slightly pedantic, I would say that VIII tried something fundamental and new, but new doesn't automatically equal fresh.

Just on the writer thing, I suppose what I mean by fresh perspective, is just that they might be able to mine out jokes that Doug Naylor might miss. I suppose when you've been writing those characters for as long as he has, there are going to be little creative cul-de-sacs where you look for jokes.

Thinking back now, that was probably my main issue with the last two series, it felt very stale, despite the fundamental change of set-up.

6. Cruel Slayer

Fair point!

I agree! Some of the love for the characters seems to have been lost somewhere.

7. betelgeuse

I think Naylor is one of those writers who strives when bouncing ideas off of another writer.
    It's nothing to be ashamed of, even graham linehan has said that he prefers writing with another writer.
    If Naylor is nervous about bringing a new writer in, why not get someone like Linehan in actually, to help at least one of the series to be a guaranteed success. I think what would be bad for Red Dwarf is another series like series VIII with weak gaga and recycled concepts. I have to admit I was a fan of BTE, but it could still have been funnier.

8. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

A two writers on here come to mind who would make great consultants on a new series. I mean afterall, better to pick the brains of dedicated fans eh? :-)

9. betelgeuse

lol yeah, naylor should get me to write red dwarf with him! someone email him please!.......no seriously 8)

10. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

Dear Mr. Naylor:

Should you read this forum consider yourself "emailed". Betelguese, Daniel, and Paul Taylor would all make lovely consulting writers on your latest Dwarf adventure. Consider them recommended for immediate hire; or at minimum a day of internship to bask in your script writing glory. Wishing you the best in all of your future endeavors.

Kind Regards,

Mrs. Yeckel

;-)

11. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.

;-)

12. Cepillo

Cepillo Third Technician

13. betelgeuse

where did you study for your masters?

14. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Noooo! Letting “fans” (AKA Geeks) write for the show would be a bad idea. They would just try to fill the plot holes for their own gain I.e series 8 ending, Stasis Leak et al... Better to get someone who HATES the show write for it, because they'll try to make it better! Over to you, Norman....

15. Cruel Slayer

I very much agree with this! The attempts I've made at Red Dwarf fanfics have all been about cat-folk and gelfs, not about anything truly original. Stagnation is the worst thing that can happen. Let the plot-holes remain holes! That's what happens in life.

16. betelgeuse

well I believe i would be truly awesome!!! :-)

17. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

I enjoyed series 7 from a story point of view but recognise it has its flaws as a series. Having extra writers probably did create probably help generate some new concepts/scenarios. My gut feeling is that i'm perfectly happy for Doug to write the shows but at the very least he needs to have someone he trusts to bounce ideas at him,for him to bounce ideas off and able highlight story areas to tighten up.

18. betelgeuse

well, I hated series 8; as far as a red dwarf fan can lol I like aspects of series 7, and loved the other series...
    However, I feel there are contributing factors to make the future series great again e.g. Naylor has had several years to write, the BTE series/specials were great in my opinion and a complete return to form (bar lack of inclusion of a Holly!), I also think its a positive thing that craig charles has said that they should only do another proper series if it's 'good enough' and essentially as good as the accepted-best series i.e. the mid series of red dwarf. I guess this is why I also hope they continue in the BTE vein, but make the shooting more old school - in front of a studio audience, and even model shots instead of CGI? Of course all this can only work if there are good gags to laugh at, cause if not, you should just completely continue like the BTE specials and leave the laughter track/audience out etc

19. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

I don't think this'll happen for the next series, but it could be a good strategy for the future.

Perhaps if the new series is successful enough, the BBC may even take an interest in it again. In that case, I could see it adopt the same kind of format as Doctor Who does currently; a 13 episode series with an underlying arc of some kind loosely tying all the stories together. Doug Naylor could take on the key episodes, say the first and last, and have others fill in the rest.

20. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

So what your really saying here is you would rather someone else wrote Red Dwarf and not Doug Naylor. Proposterous !!!