Anyone think Naylor may get guest writers in?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by betelgeuse, Aug 2, 2010.

1. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

Not quite!

If getting new and regular Dwarf means having Doug Naylor reduce his actual writing for the show, but continue to oversee the work other people are doing on it, then so be it. Overall, the story will still be his, the show will still be is.

The show isn't any less his because he doesn't make the costumes...

But this is all hypothetical anyway! And of course I'd rather just have Doug do all of it! :-D

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Much as I'd love a longer Red Dwarf series, (and I certainly wouldn't discount it appearing again on BBC1 or 2 again, if only as repeats,) I doubt a 13 episode series would be commissioned. 13 episode (or longer) drama shows are common in USA but very rare over here. (Well, apart from soap operas which go on forever.) I know they do that with Doctor Who (and I think they did it with the earlier series of Torchwood too) but that's quite unusual. 8 episodes is probably the most we could hope for. On the plus side, 6-8 episodes suggests a better quality series to me. They're less likely to drift into filler material.

Mind you, I don't think that was always the case. I remember picking up the box-sets of Blake's 7 at the library and I was quite surprised at the amount of episodes.

Oh, and I love your new avatar! I don't want her as Holly, but she certainly looks the part there. She actually looks a bit like a younger Hattie.

3. CaptnDan

CaptnDan Third Technician

Hehe. Thanks. Glad you like it! She does remind me of Hattie in many ways...

I take your point regarding US/UK series lengths. We'll just have to see what happens! Any new Dwarf at all is fine with me :-D