Anyone understand the series 9 or 10 thing?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by wheresmythribble, Apr 14, 2009.

1. wheresmythribble

wheresmythribble Skutter

Hi there

I have had a look around and cant see that anyone else has posted this ... sorry if they have! Also I wasnt sure where to post it as it lies between BTE and series 1 to 8 ...

Does anyone have any info on what Naylor said about skipping series 9 and going straight to 10? It doesnt seem to make any sense ... Back to Earth is meant to take place after series 9 and 10, during which kochanski 'escapes'. Why has Naylor said that "it will become apparent" why he wants to skip series 9? I cant make head nor tail of it :-(

Hoping a dedicated dwarfer will have the info!

Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble

2. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Best guess lays with all the references to series 9 at various times throughout BTE, so the stories and ideas would already be known to the fanbase. Jumping ahead to series 10 means it will be fresher, and Doug won't HAVE to write within the confines of what BTE hinted was in series 9.

Plus of course series 9 is supposedly the best series ever according to the bloke in the shop, and that's a stupidly difficult thing to live up to, especially this side of the mixed reception from BTE

3. wheresmythribble

wheresmythribble Skutter

Ahh brilliant this makes perfect sense! He did say that it would become apparent after watching BTE, so I think you are right!

Im trying to think of the major revealed plot points mentioned for series 9 ... kochanski 'dying', dave in the bath, kryten seeing her leave ... what else did they reveal?

4. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Not sure to be honest. I think there was something else beyond the entire Kochanski thing, but it's still a pretty big issue to be covered. Stuff about Lister becoming a drunk and such forth was also mentioned if I recall. If Doug did a series 9 he would have to incorporate it all, and it is probably best left to our imaginations to think of how it all played out

5. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

dan ... i love ur observance and logical thinking!

still i dont think its as apparently as Doug made it out to be, but I think your right! I think it would be tedious watching a series based soley on references made in another show, especially as we already know the out come of said referrences, well most anyway!

6. ironduke

ironduke Skutter

It does seem to mean that the best series will never actually be made, which does seem a shame :lol:

7. currymonster

that being said, most thr refs to the series 9 and 10 is holucination .. expect Kryten admitting to the Kochanski thing, so theoretically, they wouldn't have to refer to any of it

8. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

If Doug did series 9 he'd have to explain what happened at the end of 8. He probably just can't be bothered, part of the reason this special is set 9 years later I think. & I can't blame him really, on the evidence of BTE could he write an explanation that would be both satisfactory & enjoyable to watch in its own right?

Any future series could just carry on from BTE, fans may be upset but it would avoid lengthy explanations & just get down to business with the original format that worked so well before it was mucked about with!!

9. currymonster

wudnt take much ... all it wud take it 5 mins at the start showing the guys return from the mirror universe with an antidote, and then restoring the ship ... or catching up with the nanobots again and have them build another ship (without the crew)! then they cud just carry on

10. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Explanation isn't necessary really. Might as well just leave it open to speculation. After all, the history of the Dwarf is filled with the scattered remains of loose ends and plotholes. Give it time and people will stop caring about them in a negative sense and just fill the gaps with the endless theories and speculations, like we have to every other one over the past 21 years.

After all, if an explanation is given it will just have a similar effect. As it stands some hate the lack of explanation, others don't mind. An explanation will cause some people to hate the explanation and others to either like it or be indifferent to it. When all is said and done, what's the difference between the two except for Doug having to fill in some space later (be it a small piece or even a whole episode)?

11. simsams

simsams Skutter

it wud be good if they maybe just had flashbacks in series 10of the things that had happened in series 9;-)

12. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

How Rimmer is dead again (is he definately the old-went-off-to-be-Ace-version thats been suggested)?
    Holly going offline.
    Where the rest of the crew went? By the sounds of what was said (albeit in the fictional 'our' universe in BTE) the rest of the crew snuffed it seperately to Kochanski. So what happened?

I don't mind if they went down the 'Star Wars scroll' again to explain it all a la series III!

13. david1

david1 Third Technician

alrite doods,

[size=]where there's a will, there's a way.[/size]

when will the execs at the BBC learn that we don't all want to watch detritis like eastenders and my family. The whole reason the BBC exists is so that it doesn't have to compete for ratings with the commercial channels - it therefore allows minority0viewing programming such as Red Dwarf.
    Honestly, what better recepient for their funding can they POSSIBLE have than red dwarf? it is obscene that there is no more series.

Bring it Back, beg them to do it if you have to! TV is poop these days
    I mean, WHAT ARE WE PAYING OUR LICENCE FEES FOR?