apparent Kochanski continuity errors in Duct Soup

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Starwithastar, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Starwithastar

Starwithastar Catering Officer

The other day, I re-watched 'Duct Soup' just out of curiosity to see which hand Kochanski had the spanner in when she was hitting the pipes and/or Kryten. (This was because she seems to wear her watch on her right arm, which a lot of left-handed people including me tend to do, though she writes something with her right hand in another episode [or at least seems to] so I was curious whether perhaps Kochanski and/or Chloe might be left-handed or ambidextrous. I know that's a bit weird.)

In the course of researching this, I spotted a few odd things:

1) When the pipes start making their noises (nureek etc) out of sequence, the first time Kochanski lashes out at them the spanner appears to be in her right hand, then when a close-up is shown of her actually hitting the pipes, the spanner is blatantly in her left hand, which has a silver ring on her middle finger. [I have no idea why she still had jewellery on in bed...perhaps she was worried Cat might take it, as he seems to like shiny things(!) - lol] After that, the view changes to show the whole bed straight afterwards, and the spanner's back in her right hand again. A little later, after she puts the socks over her ears to drown out the sound of the pipes (or not), she quite clearly bashes them with her left hand, so *maybe* my ambidextrous theory is spot-on.

2) At the beginning of the episode, Kochanski appears to be wearing fairly small silvery stud earrings, but in the rest of the episode she's wearing hoop earrings...unless she decided to change them between getting out of bed and going down to talk to Kryten (while wrapped in a sheet), this seems a bit random.

3) This one's just a theory - later in the episode when the characters 'surf' down the duct/corridor/whatever, maybe Kochanski ended up wearing Cat's zebra-striped jacket because she was the only one wearing something sleeveless (her sparkly red dress/top) and one of the others [probably Lister] was concerned she might scrape her arms on something on the way down and persuaded Cat to lend her the jacket. I doubt Cat would have done that willingly, seeing as he's quite selfish and (being of feline descent) probably doesn't enjoy getting wet.

2. Starwithastar

Starwithastar Catering Officer

Watched that episode again yesterday (just to watch it this time, as I was re-watching series 7), and noticed something else about that close-up where Kochanski's spanner apparently changes hands inexplicably while she's attacking the pipes with it: when it 'zooms out' to show her whole self and the bed, she still has her notebook in her left hand...I imagine it's pretty tricky to juggle a notebook and a spanner into the opposite hands at speeds too fast for the human eye to perceive!!

On a real-life level, I accept that whoever edited that scene together has (probably accidentally) put in a close-up of Chloe/Kochanski with the spanner in her left hand when she was holding it in her right hand in the longer-distance shots. I also accept that I'm probably the only geek who's noticed. ;-)