RDXI Are the Dwarfers the bad guys? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by bedfordfalls, Oct 21, 2016.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

There seems to be a subtle theme this series.

Twentica: The exponoids outright state that they are the good guys, sent back to stop Humanity from killing itself by creating technology it can't control. The Dwarfers foil them which leads to...

Samsara: A story about a technology that turns against it's creators. By trying to rescue the survivors the Dwarfers ultimately cause their deaths by flash-heating.

Give and Take: Much speculation that Asclepius was actually going to operate on Lister to SAVE his life. The dwarfers misinterpret his actions based on his insanity and kill him and destroy his ship.

Officer Rimmer: Rimmer attempts to kill the Bio-printed Captain and destroy his ship. They ultimately kill the bio-printed Rimmer which, by it's own admission doesn't know what it is going to do after absorbing its copies.

Krysis: The Dwarfers cause the universe itself to have a mid-life crisis!

Can of Worms: The Mercenoid is actually doing something really heroic. Dwarfers just see him for his reputation and misguidedly interfere, disabling him and leading to more chaos.

Can you imagine the reputation these guys must have by now at the local gelf watering holes? No wonder everyone they meet wants to kill them! :lol:

2. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

This has been the case a few times, right?

The End - Rimmer kills everyone.

Cassandra - Lister kills her.

Meltdown - Rimmer single handedly wipes out a load of self aware (alive) robots.

All via their incompetence to be fair, as we see in Justice you can't call them baddies for being well intentioned train wrecks.

Out of Time certainly displays the Dwarfers as people who are capable of becoming horrific human beings.

Kryten killed the crew of the Nova 5 according to the books and Series 7. He washed the console in soapy water and caused the crash.

There's a hilarious film called Tucker & Dale vs Evil - it's basically Deliverance from the hillbilly perspective and they're not bad, but everyone else thinks they're evil but they're just hapless and actually alright. That's how I see the Dwarfers.

3. jimmydischarge

jimmydischarge Third Technician

My girlfriend introduced me to that flick a few years ago. It was indeed hilarious!

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I just checked out the trailer...I feel like I saw the whole movie! :x

Can I suggest anyone reading this who is interested in the movie. DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER!