Are There Two Types of Dwarf Fan? Which are You?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Presuming Ken, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Ones that prefer the 'alone on a spaceship' and ones that prefer 'monster of the week'?

Now, I love series 1 and 2. They are my faves. Mainly just the crew milling about and interacting amongst themselves. Real character stuff. No monsters really.

Of course though, I do love most other Red Dwarf. The action-packed later series are superb. Monsters, rogue simulants, crazed holograms etc.

But i'll always prefer the 'sit-com' version with the cast just bouncing off each other.

I've noticed with the new series a lot of people don't like Dear Dave but love The Beginning. The Beginning and Trojan were more like series 5 and 6, whereas Dear Dave and even Fathers and Suns were more like series 1 and 2.

Indeed a few have said The Beginning was (at least one of) the best ever. I thought it was okay, but not as good as some of the other eps that were more like series 1 and 2.

So, do we see Red Dwarf in two ways? I see it as space bums bumming around, and others see it as an action packed alien/bazookoid-fest of a programme.

I really enjoyed series X cause it seemed so much like the early days. Anyway, this post is about 15 lines too long already...

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

& there are ones that prefer it to be funny & ones that prefer it to be sci-fi drama rubbish like BtE!!!! :x:x:x:x:x:x

3. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I'm a fan of both. In fact, there's not a series of Dwarf I don't like. In my opinion, VI was perhaps a little to actiony, VII and BTE were to drama based, and VIII a little to Panto. However, they're all still vastly better than any other comedy on TV!! (Except perhaps blackadder)

I like a nice mix of the two, I think X got the balance right, you have to have the adventure episodes to truly appreciate the crew based, emotional ones.

So in answer, I am an exception to the rule. I love both, and I enjoy ALL dwarf, no matter which series.

4. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I've liked every series of Red Dwarf, although I do have a soft spot for the sitcom format.

I do however like a bit of an arc over episodes, and I like how the characters have gradually been allowed to evolve rather than remain static like they often do in other sitcoms :-)

I also love the novels (what I've read of them), and maybe one day if RD gets a reboot ala Star Trek (we're talking a long long way away...no time soon please!) then maybe some of that more story-driven stuff can make it on-screen.

5. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

I'm apparently all four types - I like the sitcom shows (Marooned and Thanks for the Memory are big favourites), the monster ones (actually lots of my favourites are this type, especially Gunmen and Back to Reality), the funny ones AND the rubbish sci-fi drama ones (e.g. Blue, Stoke Me a Clipper, Me2, certain bits of Back in the Red, which I do also hate).

I honestly can't pick a favourite. I have a real soft spot for the dramatic or tense moments, though. If there is a legitimate sense of danger or emotion alongide the comedy, I'm completely hooked.

6. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

Not to be too vague, but I am a fan of all four :-)

All four types of Red Dwarf was the Formula that made the show so wonderful ;-)

7. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

POINTLESS UNPROVOKED RAGE
    :x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

8. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I like episodes that are revelatory or significant to the characters the most. Generally they seem to be the slower paced ones like Thanks For The Memory, Me2 etc but they are also monster of the week episodes like The Inquisitor and Holoship.

In Series X the standout episodes were Fathers and Suns, The Beginning and Trojan for me because they were just interesting. I hated Lemons and pretty much all of Series 8 because it lacked any real character interest.

It's like the fried egg chilli chutney sandwich (possibly the wisest philosophy for life I've ever heard has come from Red Dwarf) some episodes technically don't have everything right but they're the ones I like because they have great character moments. Some episodes, like the majority of season 8 and even certain fan favourites will have all the right ingredients but it won't work for me because there's no real character narrative. Jokes and a fun monster only works when it brings something out of at least one of the crew.

9. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I wouldn't mind a mix, I suppose I could be labeled as a "monster of the week" guy given that I think that Series V was the pinnacle but at the same time I feel that the Monster of the Week style grew formulaic and a tired in the 6th series leading to IMO the worst episode in the first 6 series' Emohawk. I think mixing the formula up is generally a better thing to do.

10. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I guess I prefer the more adventurous/monster type shows. That being said, I wouldn't necessarily want that every week as that could get repetitive, and that's what the term 'monster of the week' tends to suggest.

I certainly wouldn't want it to just be four guys alone on a space ship every week either. While the fact they are (more or less) alone in deep space is big part of the show that can also get pretty boring after a while. The emphasis on Red Dwarf is very much on 'more or less'. Something even the end title song states.

I find it curious that one of the criticisms of Red Dwarf X is that they seem to be entering a more populated area of space. They've encountered other characters as far back as series II (Series 1 if you include pychomorphic projections caused by mutated viruses) and the encounters ramped up a lot from 3 onwards, although I guess series VI was when the universe started to really feel a bit more populated mainly due to the loss of the main ship and the need to create stories from outside the crew-members current environment.

That's not to say I don't like the sitcom side too, but then I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. 'Sitcom' is an abbreviation of 'situation comedy' after all, and adventurous circumstances are situations as well. Not just being stuck alone on a ship. Also, ship based episodes need not lack adventure either! Father and Suns prove this.

Red Dwarf can and should encompass all this. And Red Dwarf X did. There were areas in X which felt off to me*, but the stories and subject matter were generally okay, with the possible exception of Dear Dave (but I think I missed a bit of that).

*It's mainly an acting style tonal thing for me. Not meaning to seem too negative, as I thought Series X a success overall, but I preferred the straighter acting style of previous series. I don't think all actors are guilty of this mind you, and I look forward to re-watching all the episodes no my newly acquired DVD to see if my assessment is the same.

11. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

By far the Alone In Space kind of fan. Monsters are okay in their place, but I MUCH prefer character based performances where they experience different things on the ship.

RAGE

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I like all of the main types of Red Dwarf, because it clearly remains the same show. Each series has a "favourite" episode for me (excepting VII, VIII and BTE) all of various differing styles, ranging from the likes of Future Echoes, Better Than Life and Marooned, to White Hole, Quarantine and Psirens. Heck, I guess even Tikka To Ride would be one of my favourites, erring on the side of semi-serious sci-fi drama.

Dear Dave, for me, was a brave experiment. Immediately when watching it I thought it was like they'd tried to do a series 1/2 episode - which was definitely different and refreshing, but didn't quite work this time around for me. I'd like to see them try another ship-only, no action, just the crew in their everyday lives -scenario in a future series.

13. DaveHOz

DaveHOz Third Technician

I'm definitely in the "Alone on a spaceship" camp... I think the "monsters" (especially the simulants) make RD too dark. If I want monsters, I'll watch Doctor Who.

(Although even with Who, I prefer the episodes focused on the characters, with either no monster or a "misunderstood" creature, like "The Beast Below" or the recent "Hide"...)

14. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

You'll have to spank me - I like all of it.

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I know there are people (well most fans to be fair) that enjoy every series, but I always felt kind of alone in my passion for series 1 and 2. It was nice to read I'm not alone.

I've just started watching the series from the start again, immediately after finishing series 8, just because by that point I was longing for the original format.

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I am hardcore and love all red dwarf and never say rip red dwarf

17. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

It is sci-fi comedy, so I like the forays into monsters & such. But believe a good balance is best between character episodes & more outlandish stuff. So 1 - 6 work. Everything else :-(

18. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I like the mix. Series V had it spot on, great mix of monsters and strong character development with all six episodes. It had it all and at no point did the comedy come at a cost to character or vice versa. I adore every episode, especially Holoship which is often overlooked but does a lot for Rimmer.