Are they airing Red Dwarf X in America?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MichaelJRimmer, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I know it's probably been asked before, but are they airing it in America, or are we still being punished for Red Dwarf USA and have to wait for the DVD? And if it is being aired, what about the Dave Marathons, are they being aired in America too?

2. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

It's been SAID they're being aired simultaneously internationally, but I can't seem to get a straight answer from any of the forums, I've checked PBS (the most likely channel to air it) and there's nothing so far. The best I've gotten is it might be on some On-Demand services like Amazon Prime, but again, no proof.

Here's a link to the article I quoted in a previous thread, which I found out is actually a few months old, despite Bleeding Cool's 2-month delay in getting news:

US to Air at same time

3. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I wish they were airing the marathons on PBS too, because since Netflix stopped airing Red Dwarf in streaming, I have to resort to Youtube and Google Video to get my Dwarf fix. Come on PBS!

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Just download it

5. blaggard

blaggard First Technician

Yes, that's always possible, Mr. Happy, but I for one would like to support the production by watching it 'officially'.

I've heard PBS mentioned but their website doesn't mention anything. Would be nice to get a definitive answer from the production team, even if it's "they're going to show it but it won't be till November"

And Michael J - RD isn't on Netflix as you say, but it *is* on Amazon Instant Video - free if you have their Prime account.

6. simulant37

Move to the UK & watch it.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

You're such a great help on this forum, simulant.

8. simulant37

I do my best. Even though it is a selfless endeavour on my part it is nice to have ones efforts recognised. I applaud you sir/madam.

9. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol this is your best? .... wow :P

10. blaggard

And run the risk of running into you? No thanks - that was part of the reason I left.

11. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I'm more concerned that Amazon.com hasn't listed it for pre-sale yet, they're usually on top of pre-releases. I can stand waiting a month between the air date and blu-ray release if they refuse to let us Americans see it aired, but I can't wait several months until they 'decide' to release it abroad. There's absolutely no communication going on here.

12. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

From a tweet posted on G&T about airing and DVDs overseas:

DougRDNaylor @Fijian_Scion RDX is released on DVD in UK on Nov 19th, Shows + Extras. Shows are available for DTO in SD and HD on the day after the show.

So, if this is correct, it looks like international fans are getting the short end of the stick, as there's no mention of international airing nor of any DVD release dates for outside the UK. I hope it's just an oversight, but it's disheartening to see them backtrack like this, after the claim of simultaneous international airdates and DVD release dates.

13. simulant37

You can not begin to imagine how much that pleases me. :roll:

14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I've posted this in response to you on G&T, but I think it's worth repeating here as well, as - while I can completely understand your enthusiasm for seeing the show quickly and frustration at not doing so - I think it's unfair to keep having a go directly at Doug and GNP for the fact that the release may not be happening immediately.

As I said on G&T: It's not down to GNP or Doug to sell the programme abroad. That's for the distribution rights-holders, DVD producers, and so on. If the show's not being immediately picked up in the US, that's not necessarily for want of trying. When Doug tweeted off-handedly in response to someone, he was doubtless talking about their hope/plans that it would be shown in various territories as quickly as possible. It doesn't actually mean he had direct control over the decision to do so, nor that plans haven't changed since he said it was planned to be the case (hence why I wouldn't see it as "backtracking" as you've put it).

And at the end of the day, if the market doesn't want to buy it, the market's not going to buy it. The UK-based companies can't force RD DVDs into American shops or onto American TV channels!

At the end of the day, Red Dwarf is a British programme, funded by a British broadcaster who rely on the advertising income of British companies who themselves earn money from British consumers. It therefore, I'm afraid, does kind of naturally follow that international viewers would "get the short end of the stick", in much the same way as we get the short end of the stick when it comes to US shows! For example, the second season of New Girl is just about to start in the US. Here in the UK, we're not even getting the last episode of the first season until next Tuesday!

15. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

Simmy's just cranky because he won't be able to complain about Series X. :-D

16. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

As Seb said, I'm betting that the distributors have tried to sell RDX to other countries to be shown as early as possible. If shown as early as possible, it would cost more, getting the distributors more money. If the US gets RDX in November, chances are it'd be cheaper for them than if they bought it for October.

There's loads of shows which are produced in one country and shown far, far later in another. Person Of Interest is about to start it's second season in America - over here, the first season only started a month ago (or something like that). I think Saving Grace finished YEARS ago in America, and over here is still only about halfway through it's run.

It is a shame, for me at least, that RDX isn't airing in the US around the same time (as far as I know) - as I'm on holiday there at that point! Still, I'm going to record it, and of course get it on DVD or Blu-ray as soon as it comes out. I'll just have the joy of watching two new episodes of RDX when I come back, with another one the next day :-D

17. blaggard

I share Karnie's frustration in this - I think it's more that we had been told that RDX would air at the same time as in the UK that is the annoying part. This isn't to 'have a go' at Doug Naylor or any of the production team; I know that they don't jump on a plane to New York and hand out the DVDs to PBS affiliates - it's frustrating that, having been told something, that position seems to have changed.

Again, I'm not apportioning blame to the production team or anything like that here. It says something about the pace of technology change now that we're almost expecting the show to be on close to the same time as it will be on Dave, when in years past it took months.

I just think that getting our hopes up before anything was settled was unfortunate - I don't know if Doug had been himself been given misleading information, but we all just want to see the show as soon as possible so that we can run here and discuss it :-)

18. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

Thanks Seb, I certainly hope I wasn't coming across as "attacking" Doug or GNP in any way; far from it, I understand the circumstances and hurtles of having to distribute something worldwide. The frustration was more from a lack of information about it, when it seemed so certain. Between Doug's not-so-off-the-cuff tweet: "They'll be broadcast in US at same time. Check out PBS." (Which seemed pretty certain), and your own website announcing it:

[​IMG]

It appeared to be a done deal. So you can see why it would appear to be 'backpedaling' to now say it was never the case. :-) Now that I know, I'll be happy to wait a little longer; being that Back to Earth came out relatively soon after it's airing, I have high hopes the wait won't be too long.

19. RebelWabbit

RebelWabbit Second Technician

If the case is that it isn't released in the us, it will be available through online dlc purchase. You can buy it on amazon and download it too :-)

20. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I will never, ever download it. I'm sure it will be released in the U.S., BtE was released shortly after airing. It's just a question how much longer after the UK release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.