Arts and Crafts

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by FeeBee, Oct 20, 2017.

1. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Anyone have any crafty things that they like to do? Painting, cards, knitting, wood and metal work etc.

I have picked up my knitting again, not very good at it but like to use my hands when watching the TV. Making a wide green scarf.

And as I mentioned in the currently thread have recently started cross stitch. First one I finished was a frog. Currently working on a flamingo which I should finish tomorrow. I have a babushka dolls cross stitch lined up to do after the flamingo and trying to find something else I want to do so I have something else lined up.

I've grown up around crafty people all my life. Mum makes cards on a regular basis and has also done painting and flok art and many other things over the years. My little sister paints and draws all the time. My aunt makes dolls, bears and does other knitting and sewing.

jmc2000 likes this.
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

I used to make lot of stuff from loom bands couple years ago.

FeeBee likes this.
  3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    I can macramé but don't much anymore. I like to draw also, mostly landscapes ,e.g. the refuge of the untalented. :-D
    I used to look for and sand, varnish and assemble cooly shaped twigs and "creepers"(have no conception of their botanical name :redface: ) to make into roach clips :redface::redface:. Finally I go to the Fossil Beds down by the dam and look for "river glass" for a friend of mine who makes them into Kaleidoscopes. I "help" her making them occasionally, mostly the grunt work, as she's the artist.

4. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

I like your frog feebee, he looks so happy

5. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I enjoy composing music. That said, I'm not all that good at it.

6. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Console Officer

I make terrariums out of stuff like jars and moss, which I then give people for birthday and Christmas presents, cos I'm a total cheapskate. Sometimes they even pretend to like them.

Asclepius, jmc2000 and BigOleDummy like this.
  7. BigOleDummy

Actually gifts like that are my favorite ones. To me it show's they are at least thinking of me and are willing to put a little effort into a gift. Its all too easy to browse Amazon and just pick something/anything. Generic gift giving imo. Two of my most prized possession's are a etched globe (about 3 inches diameter) of Earth a glassblower friend of mine made for me (with all the 16 Countries I've been to marked), and a Kaleidoscope my artist lady friend made for me. I would just as soon lose my beloved computer as those two things.

So don't belittle your gifts @Pumpkinikki , odds are they are greatly appreciated.

Abe, jmc2000 and Nikki the Great like this.
  8. Nikki the Great

Aww this is nice to read :-)

Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I wasn't pretending!! I LOVE my mossarium!

Abe, Nikki the Great and BigOleDummy like this.
  10. BigOleDummy

See @Pumpkinikki ! I'm not the only one who appreciates a true present and not just gift.

Abe, jmc2000 and Nikki the Great like this.
  11. Nikki the Great

Is it still alive?

Abe likes this.
  12. Nikki the Great

:-)

Abe likes this.
  13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

It certainly looks it! I need to get a new atomiser, because I pumped the first one so joyfully that it simply fell apart in my hands.

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  14. Nikki the Great

:sulk:

Abe likes this.
  15. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

My flamingo cross stitch is now complete. Next on the list is going to be and owl =) Will turn the flamingo into an avatar either tonight or tomorrow.

Abe, jmc2000 and BigOleDummy like this.
  16. BigOleDummy

Looking GREAT there @FeeBee ! I do have a soft spot for flamingo's having spent so much time in south Florida. I don't know if you have them Down Under, but seeing a flock of them........ all different shades of pink and the babies so blindingly white........ beautiful!
    (Not a dropped stitch in sight either!)

17. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

I've only ever seen them at zoos and places that have birds exotic birds so pretty and I love how babies change as they grow up. I raised chickens for a while and always facinated me when a yellow chick would grow up dark brown or even black on occasions instead of white. I've always loved all birds. The pink bird that stands out the most in Australia is a galah.

18. Radio Pluto

Radio Pluto First Technician

19. BigOleDummy

I'm a sorta kinda birder myself. I don't keep track of all the different kinds I've seen like a serious Birder does, but I always keep a look out for them. I used to spend 2 or 3 months a year (minimum) in mid to south Florida and you just can't believe the all the different species of birds there. When I was on the road traveling in the mid-west you could see the different Birds of Prey sitting on the fence posts (tallest things around, our mid-west is FLAT), it was always a joy to see a Golden Eagle, the different Hawks and Owls...... I spent a few years wintering in the Everglades too. I'll never forget the first Cormorant I saw. I was sitting on the bank of a canal ............. smoking a joint :redface: ..... just idly gazing at the water flowing by when I saw this bird...... FLYING under the water! Yes, I had seen them before beside the roads, on fences etc with their wings spread but didn't know what they were or WHY they had their wings stretched out like that. But watching that bird fly under water made it all fall into place. They were drying their wings so they could fly you see.
    Anyway...... looking forward to seeing your Owl next! Forgive me for running off at the mouth as it were :redface::redface::redface:

FeeBee likes this.
  20. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Finished the owl. And started on a star.

[​IMG]