awful

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrzombiepants, Apr 14, 2009.

1. VictoriaP

VictoriaP Skutter

I agree after the amount of waiting time I did have high expectations but I thought the lack of laughter track and the feeling that they were trying to hard to have old the old episode feel i wasnt pleased. Although I must say after seeing The Making Of ... I was pleased to see the passion was still there for filming and wouldnt rule out wanting another series although I do think having the characters realise they were characters in tv show ruined it for me and would probably bypass these specials . Some scenes I thought were good but WHY O WHY did they computer generate the scutter ? ?? ?? Also the high denifinition on the camera gave it a film like effect which felt unusual to get used to. Also If anyone has seen the The League Of Gentlemen film have you noticed how to storylines are quite similar.... 'Spooky' :?:

2. Schluffy

Schluffy Skutter

I think some of the jokes were funny, although they did beat some of them over the head too much
    (e.g. Episode 1: the "something behind you that you havnt noticed that is greatly to do with the plot" scenario
    Episode 2: The guy on the phone in the shop asking his friend to guess whos in the shop (ok this wasnt even funny to begin with and it lasted a dam minute)
    Episode 3: The rakes...)

It had the ability to be funny with a few shining moments....but the concept of the programme was just horiffic.

3. mrzombiepants

mrzombiepants Skutter

jesus christ almighty.
    i'm clearly not the hostile one here.
    right, i was not being a tosser, i was not being a troll and i was not being ignorant. i was only saying the absolute truth that i could not be bothered. i saw the "read this first" section but chose not to read it, there is nothing inherently wrong with that. as for my view of why it's bad, i only saw the first 2 episodes, and is ive said earlier, i was perplexed, and i felt i didn't need to elaborate much further beyond my first thoughts because i wanted to a) state i thought it was tragic , so far, and b) see how many others thought the same. why the hubbub?

4. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

If you don't like the show, theres a simple solution; don't watch it.

Right, lets all go and have a cup of tea :-)

5. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

I agree, & its what I did with series 8 after the first 2 episodes. But with BTE we all wanted to see classic RD return & we could only judge it by watching all episodes as it was a 3 parter. We can't comment if we hadn't seen it!
    I also agree about the tea idea, no sugar for me & I'll bring the jaffa cakes!! ;-)

6. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

This.

And for me it achieved that. I hadn't watched Dwarf in years probably as I had given up on it ever getting a conclusion or movie (not that I liked the idea of a "reboot" movie starting from scratch - that would have been terrible in my opinion).

However after BTE I feel reborn as a Dwarf fan and am very excited for a new series provided its as good as this special and not a return to the gutter humour of parts of series 8 or the incorrect crew of parts of series 7.

I thought bte had everything, laugh out loud moments, an interesting plot and and some amazing pathos that brought a tear to my eye (especially the ending which had me on the edge of my seat hoping they wernt writing Lister out!).

Hell, when you consider the awfulness of stuff like the "mirror universe" from series 8 and the continuity free time drive from series 7 then Doug even did a pretty good job of explaining the science behind what was going on in these specials.

I think the biggest shock for me was that my GF who's never seen RD before watched it with me and crucially laughed quite alot (in particularly parts I didn't laugh at which shows its different strokes for different folks) as a result she now wants to watch the whole thing from the start so the special seems to have worked in gaining a new audiance.

Once again Thank you Doug Naylor

7. FelisSapiens

FelisSapiens Third Technician

I totally agree..see my thread 'new audience' - people are enjoying it that have never heard of it before!....it cant and wont please everyone...why would it? I dont get the prob..just let others enjoy it and those saying..'it didnt live up to expectations'...so there is a prob with your expectations...

8. mrtrebus

mrtrebus Second Technician

After the last 2 series my expectations weren't very high. Guess I gotta lower them EVEN FURTHER to enjoy any more new RD!! :crying:

9. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

That's your opinion but I found this way better than series 7 and 8. It felt like what series 7 shold have been after episode 2 and although some parts of 8 were funny others were just a ridiculous kind of gutter laughs (pubes on the soap joke being the worst).

10. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

All these three-post wonders arguing and moaning about Back to Earth!! :roll:
    Including my arch nemesis..... TEX RIMMER!!!! :x:x:x:x:x

I wonder what Red Dwarf series 11 and 12 will bring to the forum ? Good or bad vibes, one can only wonder?!

11. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Thoughts?

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

You can have mine for what they're worth.

If series 11 and 12 are as woeful as series 10, I'll be keeping my thoughts to myself, as negative views about the show generally get attacked around here.

13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

You shouldn't care what other people think, I know my thoughts on series 10 were pretty mixed....with legitimately liking only half, thinking two were hit and miss and thinking one was amongst the worst the show ever produced.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I have to say that I don't think that's the case at all, I can certainly never recall your views being "attacked", questioned yes, in particular as to why you felt that way and I'm sure people disagreed with your opinions and reasons, but I think you're being way too oversensitive if you think that negative views generally get attacked.

Series VIII and BtE both have been the subject of many negative posts over the years, and on occasion a few supporting ones too. Neither side have particularly attacked the viewpoint of the others AFAIK.

I know in spite of the fact that it seems to have been broadly popular with the fanbase, including myself, I've certainly not been unquestioningly positive about RDX. I've been really pretty critical of Lemons (shot through with far too many plot holes and basic mistakes), Fathers and Suns (Really dislike resurrecting the nonsense about Lister being his own dad) and to a lesser degree Entangled, whilst I've also not been too keen on the overall tendency to do surprise reveals that change character's back-stories. That said, even though I've expressed these negative opinions repeatedly, I've never once felt attacked for doing so even by those who disagree with me.

15. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I welcome all opinions on RD. If this official Red Dwarf forum only accepted glowing praise of its output then that would be a sorry state indeed, unworthy of such a great show.

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, maybe my comment was a bit OTT, people. I think it was a knee-jerk reaction to the way the originator of this thread was treated.

I think he just misinterpreted the tone of Coyote Rage's reply in which Coyote explained that he'd perhaps posted his views in the wrong section, and because of this the originator went on the defensive.

But then all hell broke loose and he was shouted down by everyone and his dog. Some of the comments directed at him were downright offensive and unnecessary. It was like everyone suddenly turned into Rimmer.

Anyway, in fairness, I think negative views are accepted well by most members.

17. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm pretty welcoming of negative views. I honestly don't think Doug would read this or take much notice of it, and to be honest he shouldn't. He's the writer of Red Dwarf and can do with it whatever he wants, and we have to accept that, even as fans, our "vision" of Red Dwarf may not match his.

But, what did I think... looking back at BTE, I think it ended up alright in the end. I quite enjoyed the first episode, saw it fall apart in episode 2 and then redeem itself in some ways in episode 3. The humour we know and love WASN'T there though, for the most part. A lot of it felt forced - the main one I recall being the "ironing sneezes" part. It looked great and slick, and the diving bell stuff was good (there was SOME good humour in it, but not a huge deal). At the time I remember loving the first episode, then wondering if I was watching a different show for the second and third. I'd say it was some of the worst RD, but not THE worst, and certainly better than some things on TV.

As for RDX... a different kettle of fish entirely. Some of it good, some of it not so good. And I began to notice that a lot of it, again, felt forced and just... wrong. RD, in series I-VI, has always seemed a serious (ish) sci-fi with jokes, mainly by the Dwarfers themselves. As someone else observed in a different thread, the universe itself is quite a serious one and it's only the Dwarfers that inject the humour. Case in point - Justice. The Simulant doesn't really crack and jokes or have a wacky personality, it's how the Dwarfers interact with him and the situation that makes it funny. But I liked RDX, as a whole, but it still wasn't up to the heights of I-VI (but better than VII-BTE). It was missing the fluidity and dynamics of previous RD. Case in point, Holoship vs Trojan (just for the hell of it). In Holoship, Rimmer is taken aboard the Holoship and tries to get into the crew (and also into the crew's pants), by cheating. He returns to RD to cheat, takes the exam and flounders, then returns to RD to discover the rest of the crew is auditioning his replacement. In the end he's offered the role but turns it down. In Trojan, Lister's shopping and there's a running gag about a moose before Rimmer crashes. The Trojan is detected, along with Howard, so Rimmer sits his exam and fails. They fake being the Trojan's crew before showing Howard around, who crashes, then the Simulant starts doing her thing until she's disposed of, Howard dies and there's an end bit.

To me, Trojan, and a lot of Doug's RD, had a lot of stopping-and-starting of different parts of the story, instead of flowing more naturally from one situation to the other. We do have to remember though that a lot of RD (in particular IV to VI) had a more urgent pace, requiring the crew to "think on their feet" - something RDX missed. The Beginning probably had the most urgency (heck, it had quite a fair bit of urgency for RD) but still seemed a tad limp.

And again, get rid of some of the wackyness. I'm still trying to talk my wife into watching Red Dwarf (she may come along if I get tickets for XI/XII). She half-watched some of RDX when we visited my parents and said she found it too wacky, which I maintain that the older series aren't. No jokes we can see coming from a mile off, no huge set-ups.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

For me

Trojan
    it actually is kinda funny and feels quite classic dwarf up until rimmers brother arrives in the teleporter and then the phone subplot starts get to hurt it and the story becomes a little bit blackadder-ish which i can't remember if red dwarf has ever done that sorta thing before but it kinda grew on me after a while even though i kinda wish doug didn't turn his brother into a rimmer clone thinking it would be a cool twist

fathers and suns
    i like the pree and the lister being his own dad stuff but the chinese whispers gag is not very good and hurts it

lemons
    this was the one i dreaded most but i think for me its the best episode of series X because its original, kinda clever and flowed pretty naturally but i would say its not without its flaws like the listers organs gag and shakespear gag which fell flat and some story elements that were mean't to trick the audience into thinking he was the real jesus were kinda odd

entangled
    i like the idea of the story which sounds classic dwarf on paper and it starts well enough but the cat and kryten entangled stuff wasn't very Consistent and Professor Irene Edgington arrival and accidental embarrassing death wasn't great

Dear dave
    as a bottle episode it does entertain but the rimmer subplot is boring, the despensing machine joke grates after a while and the attept at almost trying to replicate the polymorph joke with the despensing machine was kinda embarrassing

the beginning
    this episode is ok and some of it was pretty classic dwarf but i may be one of the only few who hated the i am not your father reveal because for me its a really flawed premise since i ain't sure what it was trying to say about rimmers step dad and what was once subtle about rimmers backstory has become full of holes thinking its explained alot of things but it really didn't

also the villains got abit to goofy by the end

19. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

To get back on topic on that initial topic of this....topic, I will say that I also found Back to Earth to be pretty dire. I mean while it never sunk to the lows of things like Back in the Red Part 3 or Pete Part 2.....but it was pretty bottom of the barrel.

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

My sentiments exactly!

This is one of the (many) things I disliked about X - it was played for pure laughs and ended up just being incredibly silly and childish.

All the best comedy has drama and pathos at it's core, otherwise it's just pantomime, and that's exactly what RDX was - Saturday morning kid's pantomime.