awful

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mrzombiepants, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

This I can't deny, as someone who liked half of series X I feel a number of episodes fell to some pretty dumb forced humour with Trojan's dumb subplot with Lister being on hold subplot and a stupid ending, Fathers's and Suns had that stupid Taiwan Tony nonsense, and Dear Dave.....well that one was a complete mess this the really bad toilet paper subplot and Lister's plot falls apart when it looks like his getting lucky with the vending machine.....also a different the green screened stuff in that episode looked terrible. So yeah not all of us sing series X's praises, but I do think it got enough right to hope a better job could be done if production wasn't such a mess and of Doug learned from his mistakes.

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Initially I was very disappointed with BTE, but when compared with X it's a masterpiece. In fact, I'd go a step further and say I quite like BTE. It has the drama and pathos I was referring to, and avoided the slapstick and farce so prevalent in X.

If Doug combined the elements of BTE, into half hour episodes, I think we could have a half-decent series XI.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I disagree. BtE was terrible. Nonsense pastiche elements of Blade Runner, a tired retread of an old plot & laughable attempts at dramatic intensity by sitcom actors! :roll:

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

That's your view, of course, but I couldn't disagree more. Lister talking with Kochanski towards the end, and spilling the tears, was an incredible performance by CC.

5. simulant37

I do NOT watch RD for undercooked attempts at serious pathos...:roll:

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Series X should have appealed to you immensely in that case.

7. simulant37

No. It didn't appeal to me "immensely". It was getting back to how the show used to be but was very flawed. But at least it didn't think it was a drama rather than a sitcom...:roll:

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Some of the wackiest slapstick ever in Red Dwarf happened in Back to Earth. Check out the fighting squid shenanigans (which I'll admit I found rather amusing. Slapstick does not necessarily = bad) and the bit in the Creator's apartment (which I had mixed feelings about).

I mostly liked BtE. I liked the drama and pathos bits which are NOT alien to RD, although they were perhaps turned up a notch here. (Not a bad thing in my opinion.) But the slapstick elements are equal if not greater to anything that happens in RD X.

I found the bit with the food machine in X where Lister attempts to lift the machine pretty bad though.

I don't dislike any series of Red Dwarf though. Even including VIII. Most of VIII, anyway.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

one of the gags that really bothers me in BTE is the SHE IS BEHIND YOU! Pantomime with rimmer putting down Katerina to kryten while he hints in really silly ways that she is behind him... the whole gag feels very cheap to me

it was also done in series 8

10. Slainmonkey

It also didn't help matters that Chris Barrie really didn't feel like his slipped back into character of Rimmer yet making his performance feel really awkward. That said his worse preference in BTE was also in part 1 with the scene where they are trying to find the Joy Squid in the water tank......that was like a worst of Rimmer show reel.

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

This is another thing that bothers me about new RD. I don't know if it's his age, but he just looks as though he'd rather be doing anything else but playing the role of Rimmer. His delivery in X was very un-Rimmer like, as was his whole character for that matter.

12. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Ah how quickly red dwarf fans go from "will there never be red dwarf again" to "red dwarf hasn't been worth watching for 20 years, I only watch it for Rob grant/new things to hate/things to troll the forum with....

Rejoice in this moment, we have new RD on the way and it'd not smeg yet :-D

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I have to disagree I think Chris did a fine job fitting back into the role, although I notice occasionally it does feel like Chris has stopped trying to act and is just trying to be funny now which comes out as more over acting Like he believes it makes it funnier

Otherwise I think Chris did fine, i don't agree when people say Rimmer wasn't a big enough git in series 10 because Rimmer in series 2 to 5 wasn't always like that and he is been more multi layered then that

14. Slainmonkey

Oh I don't mean to come across like that, I mean I did like half the episodes on X and given the production issues it does explain a lot on why it felt so mixed. I'm excited for there to be more but I do think that mistakes from the past are also relevant to discuss.

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I know what people mean when they say this, though. All the neurosis, bitterness and self-importance were missing from the Rimmer of X, and replaced with a miserable, depressed looking character. The Rimmer of old was a pretty hopeless character, but he was optimistic and upbeat in spite of this fact.

However, the writing on X wasn't blameless... let's not forget that.

16. Slainmonkey

I would disagree with that, in fact I would go as far to say that Rimmer's neurosis' and insecurities were explored far more here in series X then it was in series VIII, infact it was probably more prominate then even series VI because it was central to the plots of both Trojan (as flawed as it was) and The Beginning. Also you see quite a bit of Rimmer's self importance in Trojan, Entangled and (albeit poorly done) in Dear Dave. Having said that there was also a sense that Rimmer felt more comfortable about his surroundings and the people his stuck with.

17. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah because shows like Back to Reality, Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Tikka to Ride (perhaps three of the most popular episodes of series 5,6 and 7 respectively) relied totally on a lack of drama or "serious pathos" to make them the well received episodes that they still are today, didn't they? :roll:

I think you may need to watch them again, Simulant37. Red Dwarf works better when it is A. Funny and B. combining comedy with a dramatic and/or action packed story. If it's Sitcom people are after, stick to Mrs Brown's Boys, Terry and June or series 8 or 1 (excluding the far far far too dramatic pathos of Future Echoes, that is! Suggest you watch it with a cup of Horlicks)!!! :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

18. Slainmonkey

I think the issue wasn't that there was serious pathos in BTE but more that it came as expense of of the comedy rather then going hand in hand with it. One thing Red Dwarf in it's better years was strike a balance where it could still dig deeper into the characters but still build comedy around it rather then bringing it to a screeching halt. This wasn't helped by the fact that what little comedy that was there all felt very stiff and forced. Pathos is good but Red Dwarf needs to remember it's a comedy show first and foremost, in failing that it fails at achieving the very thing the show was created to be.

19. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I think BTE is great and really enjoyed it but was affected by being split into three half and hours. Have you watched the directors cut? IT's a lot better. Strongly recommend it but appreciate I am in a minority here. If it helps, I hate series 8.

20. Slainmonkey

It was certainly paced better then the specials were separately but many of my issues of it remain the same, I was pretty underwhelmed by it as a whole. I would be lying if I said it was the return I had hoped for but I will agree it never reach the level of lows as series 8 did. However it remains a shallow complement for me as I would hope nothing ever again becomes as painfully unfunny as the likes of Back in the Red part 3 and Pete part 2.