Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. jennytablina

jennytablina Skutter

Longtime fan here

First viewing on Dave: it felt great but it also felt short, it left me wanting more thats for sure.

I imagine the classic eps have been put after Back to Earths parts to make up for the short shots of newness we get. Gunmen of the Apocolypse was a nice follow up to part 1.

First few scenes initially felt a little rusty with the acting. But they got into their stride pretty fast. The first part didnt seem quite so funny on first but on second watch I noted a lot more: The scutters 2 finger salute, Rimmer trying to get his only award sorted and being foiled yet again. The "teardrops" on the book actually being Cat. The only joke that wasn't better on second viewing was Kryten's reaction to Rimmer announcing there's a giant monster on the ship. For some reason the resulting "uggh I'm a mass of nerves theres a knot in my back!" line didn't really work. It needed more oomph

But overall a great performance and good to see the crew back again and getting on as well as they did way back. Shame some didnt make it (and have gone out a little ungraciously) but IMO anyone who has played a part in RD has made their mark regardless and I still respect them whatever they end up doing.

Looking forward to the rest: wonder if the airing of the Polymorph eps tomorrow is significant at all...

2. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

I said that "such peesimism over such a great episode" that means the first episode not the 2nd or the 3rd. i have no lack of confidence in the first episode, i thought it was great ive watched it twice and cant wait to see the rest. i respect your views on the episode etc but just dont agree with them so lets just leave it at that.

3. tingedpython

Ahhhh, i wonder, you may have something there, that may be why the squid looked like it went up and then russian lady came down.

4. yukkaspecial

yukkaspecial Skutter

Im a big fan since randomly stumbling onto a couple of guys cleaning a chicken soup machine in 1988.. first time poster here though.

I just watched it for the second time and its really good. It is different to the earlier episodes in the comedy timing and method and that takes some getting used to.

I wonder if anyone would agree - for example, earlier episodes would see the Cat rant (in this case about getting attacked by the giant sea testicle), another member of the cast would assume he was suggesting he had been injured and the Cat would put him straight that it is his hair that's been ruined - queue canned/live studio laughter.

First watch, I thought the lines were delivered differently but not as well due to the different way of filming (ie. sci fi film with funny bits as opposed to sitcom). Second watch, its genius and suits the times so much better than the previous setup would have.

I really suggest anyone that has questions about the first episode reserves judgement and watches it a second time (hopefully skipping the adverts) because it is much much better second time round. The advert breaks arent such a complete bitch (first one was way too soon after a 10 year wait for new dwarf) and the cliff hanger doesnt blind side quite as badly either.

Can't wait for the next episodes.

5. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

That would be an awesome theory...but don't you think a Polymorph would be more interested in taking everyone's emotions rather than sending them around different dimensions?...I dunno

6. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

for some of the questions being asked. why is rimmer hard light etc etc
    Well legion was a combination of all 4minds, we can only resume they have managed to develop the technology again over the years once it was bk on board the ship holly wud have analysed it nad know how to make it.
    2. what happened to kochanski- we can only guess, we should get to find out later
    3. lister to ressurect human race.. but over 100 passengers ressurected by nanaos are out there nowb in space, so no longer is dave the last human alive.

4the talknig vending machine on series 8 finale said to rimmer they crossed to mirror universe. so how did they come bk or even ment red dwarf from being ate n dissovlinng and also rimmer presumably died by hands of death himself n got brough bk. maybe with the memories from previous rimmer that went to be ace! cos hologram simulation booth il lstore is memories on there etc.
    excuse my spelling i type too fast

al in all tho wasnt a bad episode. chris. is the best actor amnog them. they're all good but i have to say he was lacking gettting bk into character. wasnt too bad tho. so for that part one 6 out of 10:-)

7. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

some people have said that this is only a a.r game n they sdont really get bk to earth but.. u imagine the fans views if that was the case?
    Also why dont every fan donate £1 or watever to doug naylor n then we can have this movie.. cos they cud make a million easy n make a great movie.. british film are like in thier thousands but if ppl donate make it n maybe a series 9 or watever

8. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Anyone notice in the opening credits the crew are standing around with red dwarf DVDs behind them.
    There should've been more backround noises on Red Dwarf, the engines or something. It's very quiet.

9. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Apologies if this has been answered. I'm still working my way through the comments (over 200!) being away for a while. (And I couldn't access the site earlier.) I felt I had to respond to this though.

That was explained in the episode. As for the reason they took that decision, the answer is mainly budget. And the fact Holly's role would have been very small anyway.

They were resurrected in series VIII. During Red Dwarf VIII:Only the Good they left the ship when the virus was eating away the structure of the ship. We can only assume some of them are still out there somewhere or they came to a sticky end.

The answer to both of these is that we don't know. However, why should this be a criticism if we haven't seen the rest of the episodes yet? We might get the answers. I suspect we actually won't but just bear in mind, they only have 3 episodes (really one episode in 3 parts) to deal with and they can't take up too much time with exposition. Don't get me wrong, I would like some explanation, even if it's just a line, but put simply, stuff happened in between series VIII and Back to Earth. Off-screen stuff happens in Dwarf all the time. Like Lister's pregnancy. And the pan-dimensional liquid beast from the Mogadon (Modagon?) clustre. (Incidentally, I've got a fanfic idea for that I think I'll write at some point. Maybe I'll turn it into a comic.)

The jokes were present. There was less of a hit rate than previous series, (and I'll admit I found it less funny) but they seem to be going more for the comedy drama than sitcom. Just go with it for now and judge it on that.

The caption said it was 9 YEARS later. A lot can happen in that time including finding a way to repair the ship or grabbing a parallel version. And you answered your above question concerning the rest of the crew. (Ok, not where they are, but space is a big place and the ship has moved on. Who knows, if there is a new series, we might catch up with some of them again.)

10. tingedpython

Maybe we wont find out about what happened at the end of series 8 in these specials at all, if you think about it there just specials meant to be entertaining for old fans and new alike. Its pretty obvioius now that they want to make a new series and film they just need the views to do so, so if they get enough then we'll find out what happened in the new series i should imagine. Im just happy to see the boys from the dwarf back on our teles.

11. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

It might be a tad on the repetitive side, but I rather like the idea that maybe the Red Dwarf crew met a similar ill fate to the Cat People, and that maybe resurrecter Rimmer, after escaping doom (RE: VIII deleted ending), met an unremarkable death sometime later. Something he could be mocked for, only to respond with a weak excuse. Like maybe Lister left grease in the landing dock, and Rimmer slipped on it, only to be crushed by a landing Starbug.

In the end, it's all a bit inconsequential, isn't it? Pending relevance, of course.
    We know Rimmer's dead, we know the crew are gone (or dead again).

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

that's actually made me laugh more than the new episode - not a dig at the episode, but a thumbs up to you, that's cracked me up :lol::lol:

13. acecooper

acecooper Skutter

wow, really wow. That Red Dwarf episode was awesome, it was wierd without the laughter track but I agree that it's for the best... all the best comedy shows don't tend to have one. I hope they make another series!!:-D

14. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

I've watched this twice now, and have mixed feelings towards it, but I won't make any fll judgement on it until I've seen "Back To Earth" as a whole. There've been previous comments about how this episode should stand on its own, and to an extent that's true, but it appears to me that Doug wrote one long script that has been arbitrarily edited into three episodes (after all, a month or so ago we were expecting only two new episodes, and it was only when shooting was nearly finised that it was decided to make it three - something that will obviously affect the pacing long after the script has be 'set').

I'm in two minds about where the story will go, based on what we've already seen on screen and what's been said in interviews. On one hand, it may become a triumph of meta humour that sees the Dwarfers confronted by 'Red Dwarf' being a TV show in a parallel universe that is somehow linked to their own - the cancellation of 'Red Dwarf' may indeed cause their own deaths. This parallel universe may also have a series IX of 'Red Dwarf' (and through snippets we may be shown of series IX in the parallel universe, we may get answers to all the "So what happened between 'Only The Good...' and 'Back To Earth' that clear up a lot of the nags) - and has since been struggling to get renewed. Tie that in with the overtones of 'Blade Runner' and these could turn out to be specials with a very intricate plot that explains all and is wonderfully resolved. The details will almost certainly be vastly different to how I've outlined above (since I have no clue and I'm not a good writer), but the outcome is still an extremely well thought-out and satisfying trilogy.

On the other hand, the meta humour may be just poorly planned and badly executed, or indeed non-existent, and it could all turn out to be a big bag of ****.

At the moment, I'm really hoping and indeed expecting the former - what struck me about series VII, and the novels 'Last Human' and 'Backwards' is that the Grant Naylor writing partnership, while equally matched in overall talent, had two heightened areas of expertise - Doug Naylor is particularly talented at writing humourous and intricate plots, while Rob Grant is talented at writing comedy with the plot being less of a concern (still decent, but just a lot less detailed than Doug's writing). With that in mind, and in want of simplified labels, we have the "Plot-Guy" who has ten years of heavy involvement with trying to relaunch Red Dwarf suddenly given a chance to shine again - sure, the gags may be less plentiful, and the drama given more air-time, but I'm willing to bet that with a decade of thinking time he has penned something spectacular for the story.

Tune in on Sunday night to see me write either "Phew, I knew Doug still had it in him" or "I couldn't have been wronger"...

Ronnie

15. tingedpython

I agree i was a bit in two minds before but times moved on, it is definatley for the best, its always the same when theres change, bit it still had me in tears. Hopefully therll b another series cause ive watched each epsiode like 30 times each easily and i need at least another 2 or 3 series to watch just to mix it for such an amzing comedy.

16. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

Let's face it, the revised version of Rimmer's death given to us in 'Timeslides' had him managing to accidentally kill himself in a particularly stupid way...

Ronnie

17. tingedpython

i think your right you know, lister will prob end up meeting craig charles in corrie when there. there etc. you wont say i couldnt have been wronger when we have such a good writer saying that he has written such an amzing plot, he really does know what hes doing. man im so excited

18. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Incidentally, people complain about the CGI skutters, but I thought they were amazing. Almost real. Maybe I'm easily fooled, but I wonder how much of people's judgement is coloured by the fact they know the skutters are CGI before hand. A lot of people have the misguided idea that CGI=bad effects. Don't get me wrong, I think physical models are great, and if they can be utilised so be it. Apart from looking good it helps the actors too, but bear in mind CGI is just another modelling and animation tool, and like the results of any model making, some of it is bad, some good.

I'd say much of the stuff in this episode was good. It looked slightly fuzzy to me (not just the CGI, the screen as a whole) but that was due to the fact that I was sitting close to my CRT widescreen TV. I'm short-sighted, and I lost my glasses recently. I have to sit close if I want to see things clearly but sacrifice a bit with pixelisation as a result. It still looked the best it probably ever has though. And hopefully I'll be picking up some new glasses soon, (I'm several years overdue a new eye test. :-) )

Anyhow, overall, I liked the episode. I would have liked more jokes, but I don't mind the change in tone if we get a decent story, which is yet to be seen (but so far so good.) Some of the delivery seemed a bit off to me, but I'm not sure if this is
    (and these are just possibilities not statements of opinion.)
    a) because the lads are a bit rusty, not having been in their roles for a while.
    b) The dialogue writing is a bit rusty due to Doug finding his way back into this world after a 10 year absence or so.
    c) The character have changed over the 9 years.

There were chuckle moments though, and I was entertained throughout. I particularly liked the tentacle pencil gag and Kryten's delicate way of indicating to Rimmer that Katarina is behind him. "Your breasts look rather good Ms." And Rimmer's double take was amusing. It was the kind of joke that started like something we've seen before in both Red Dwarf (particularly in series VIII with Captain Hollister) and elsewhere, but Kryten's statement brought something new to it.

19. tingedpython

people have mentioned about the old series having dodgy animations which was funny why did they use cgi etc. But i didnt think the cgi was looked too great but that was amusing, it had the same effect as the animations in the old series, 10 years on and times have changed cgi is used now, i know it was the time frame that made the cgi dodgy but i hope in the new series which theyll do now surely, theyll keep the cgi looking dodgy, it made me laugh and took it back to its roots whilst also bringing it into modern times. And yes the skutters looked awesome.

20. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

And wouldn't it just be great to get a few bunk conversations out of his second death?
    It could differentiate it a bit from the Timeslides gag. Lister pining over Rimmer bringing it up again, apologising insincerely, but emphatically, for the umpteenth time. Rimmer brooding and complaining about being dead -- again!

Gotta give Lister his dues, though.
    With hardlight technology it really doesn't screw your career up, like in the olden days.