Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. purfleet

purfleet Skutter

Red Dwarf died in series 6/7 - when Rimmer left & when Grant Naylor split, they are both good writers but together they were geniuses.

Last nights episode was poor in the extreme, one or two decent lines. I hope the next one makes up for it but even the star bug car looks embarrassing.

2. faith

faith Third Technician

It was quite good...didn't really feel like RD without an audience though. That was a BIG mistake. Yes, it all looks like a movie now, but we're watching a half hour sitcom. Great that it has returned to its roots without the ship's population and without KK, but it feels flat without the laughter. Having said that, it did look amazing - better than 7 if we're talking movie-style sets and atmosphere...but I miss the audience.

3. faith

faith Third Technician

PS: As to what happened to KK and the rest of the crew, I assumed Death eventually caught up with Rimmer and killed him again, and that he also got to Kochanski....that's what I'm assuming, that they all died in the fire at the end of VIII

4. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

I liked it, it did sound a bit quiet without the laugh track though.

Did no one else just go, 'Awwwwww', when Lister was crying over everyones grave? :') So sweet.

5. Rimmerectomy

Rimmerectomy Skutter

I'm so angry. It's as though series 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 never happened. Once again it's back to the quest to return home and the task of keeping Lister sane. Which is great in a way; series 2 and 3 were the best IMO. But the principal reason I wanted a red dwarf return was to see the loose ends tied up. It seems Doug Idea of tieing up loose ends is to pretend a large part of it never really happened. It's like the novel fiasco afer Rob and Doug's split all over again.

6. michaeldd

michaeldd Skutter

on second viewing on you tube i think i was far to quick to say it was terrible, a lot of things make sence, except the big "what happened to kochanski and what happend after series 8 which i hope will be answered in the coming episodes, so looking forward to it tonight, I hope there will be the chance for a 9th series, the only thing missing is the STUDIO AUDIENCE.

7. Codgin

Codgin Skutter

Enjoyed the episode overall, I'd class it as a build up episode, setting the scene and that, I know some have complained about the lack of answers but I like that sense of mystrey, how did so and so die, how did they escape the dwarf, and so on. I do wish Dave would have shown it as a complete piece rather than having milked it across 3 days, but carnt complain, RED DWARFS BACK and its just like its starting all over, back to basics

8. Thinderchild

Thinderchild Skutter

First of all I think we have to wait until the plot line plays out fully before giving a full opinion but I would like to mention a few things on the first episode.

It was imperative that the script reflect the passage of time. I read a Times article interpreting the casts performance as "knackered and uninterested". Well of course it is...they've been in space, bored to tears for 9 years!!

Unfortunately the 9 year age difference necessitates a slower delivery but perhaps they overdid it. In persuing their acting carreers have the cast forgotten that this series is primarily a comedy and will be judged as such? This slower delivery added to there being no live audience leads to a definite flatness in my opinion.

The next problem I have is with the script itself. With all those years to hone it to perfection I would have expected some real belly laughs. Sadly I was limited to smiles only. A lot of which were rehashes of old jokes/situations from previous series or they certainly felt like!! Perhaps some of this leads back to my first point. Even a good joke (the iron sneezing) told in a tired and bored way just loses something.

My last point is the budget. Although this looks better (thanks to improvemnts in CGI) than some of the earlier series, the sets, if you could call them that, are most definitley as cheap as you can get....err no, I (like Doug Naylor) am not one of those dwarfers who enjoy seeing sets shake!

This of course is beyond the control of the makers. It's just that I think RD deserves a small fortune spending on it!!

To sum up although I did enjoy it (and more so second time watching) it doesn't as yet live up to the previous series'.

Ultimately I would give this episode a 7 out of 10. But only because I think it has been written as a Sci-Fi mind-blower rather than a belly laughing comedy. At least I hope that it has....only time will tell.

PS where does the cat appear from at Kochansky's grave? He appears to fall from the sky but overhead is a glass roof with space outside?

PPS come on Doug, more jokes please! Come on cast, more energy please!

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I just can't believe how many "First time poster" quickly followed by "I've been a fan since it first aired and watched the series loads of times over" posters we've had here in this thread. I've just about had enough of all the people who have only just been bothered to come online and register here only to slag off the show asking where's this person, why has this happened etc etc...Little pieces of information have been given out on reddwarf.co.uk and joindave.co.uk about what is involved in the storyline. Local media have had loads of stories, interviews with the cast and Doug, which means "fans" have had ample opportunity to gather enough information to answer these questions before they've been posted on here! I never posted my opinion on here until I watched the episode 3 times and my opinion improved after rewatching it to get a few things straight in my head before posting my little bit of drivel.

10. jmevans

jmevans Skutter

First time poster ( been a fan since series began .... lol sorry couldn't resist :-D )

Thank you so much for the new episode, was awesome as me and a few mates gathered round a new HD TV and howled with laughter at a brilliant start to the new episodes.

I really hope it leads to more in the future!

11. thedrocks

thedrocks Third Technician

WOW, the first episode was brilliant, it great to see the whole cast back- at last!!

Rimmer is still as awesome as ever,
    "and something good for me to read while you're down there" lol.
    Happy to see they keept the theme tune!
    Ant the skutters!! cgi in red dwarf!!

Can't wait for episode 2

12. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Didn't big suze say Lister was going to an alternate earth to bring back a mate and rebuild the human race, as opposed to just returning to earth?

13. MacabreMagpie

I think a lot of people that hated it on first viewing will come round after seeing it a few more times. If you're expecting something to be rip-roaringly funny and it has a more serious tone then obviously the shock is going to lead into disappointment and give you a biased overall view of the show. But if you watch it knowing what it's about beforehand then the shock is gone and you can just enjoy it.

I think it was a mistake not showing them in one run as a feature length (would have been a bit of payoff for the waiting for the movie we did!) but I reckon by the end of it all most people will have changed their minds.

14. replicon1

replicon1 Third Technician

That was f*****g BRILLIANT!! Well done Doug and well done everyone else involved. The show lives again. It really works well with the CG and green-screen (although it misses the live audience). It was great to see Danny playing the Cat the old way before Dwayne Dibley kept creeping into his performance and he had some fantastic woofers. Craig reading Jane Austen to Kristine's picture (alongside, was that Mel Bibby?) was touching and well acted. The points that don't work so well can be ironed out but if this is the weakest of the 3 specials then we are in for a treat tonight and tomorrow.
    Personally I don't see why they couldn't have written Holly back into this. There were multiple areas where his dead-pan delivery would have really helped - Lister's tomato gag at the start needed someone else to bounce the joke off instead of him talking to himself along the corridor. After watching this twice I'm still not sure where Katerina appeared from. Who or what switched her on and why?
    I am stoked, bring on another series. This show has a few years left in the tank and no mistake.

15. Bewareofthephil

Bewareofthephil Third Technician

What I will say is this definitely gets better with a second viewing. Red Dwarf is always funnier the second, third, forth time around. The first time I watched it I was left a little cold, but the second time I took more in and, yes, it was proper Red Dwarf. Haters need to watch it again.

I like how the ship is Series 1&2 styled, but with a Series 7-8 quality about it. I hope we get to see the real Starbug again and not just Carbug though!

I'd definitely be up for a new series if the next 2 are even better than this. But I'd also quite like the BTE DVD to have an "optional" laughter track, so we can see what it'd be like with it in.

16. MacabreMagpie

I love starbug too but I will be surprised if we see it, unfortunately. For budget reasons, obviously.

And as for an optional laughter track, I don't think this has been shown to an audience unless the preview on wednesday with the cast and crew was taped? I don't know if any fans saw it?

People seem to forget its not canned laughter they've used before, it's a real audience, even for series 7.

17. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

anyone wonder how Cat dropped in on Lister mourning? That dome was just glass sticking out into space, where Did Cat drop down from? :-p

18. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

MacabreMagpie - yesh big suz did say that about going to another dimension and getting a mate.

I think the whole Back To Earth title has got everyone so worked up (myself included) that we hadn't invisaged them ever returned to Red Dwarf, or not leaving with the intenstion of coming back anyway.

My view on this is ep is that it does have that ver filmic feel that Doug was looking for, slowly easing the characters back in while at the same time just throwing you into the middle of their lives.

To those that said thier reactions and deliverance was slow, yeah the fact it wasn't filmed in front of an audience would contribute to that. But maybe its slightly intenstional, to show that after 9 years stuck on RD (we're assuming of course nothing exciting has happened in this time) has just worn them out.

I'm a bit annoyed about the lack of scientific explination, like the 2 holograms thing. I would have expected all the questions of where did you come from, and how are there 2 etc etc to be answered as soon as she appeared as would normally be the case in RD. Even if it is some far fetchd reason Kryten seems to know from some experience he has had on the Nova 5 but neglected to tell anyone to this point, but be a cop out but its still an explination given over 20 seconds of screen time!

Also for those asking what has happened between series 8 and now. Something just sprung to mind. How about there is another series of RD made. Who is to say it is set post BTE??? They could carry it on, classic Dwarf style from the end of seris 8, as a prequal to BTE. in fact with 9 years past, you could fit a dozen more seris in the time line before you got to these episode. Just a thought :-)

19. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

Never once laughed outloud and was frankly a little bored by it.

Was disappointed in it. Hoping the rest is better but not expecting a lot.

20. Leodagan

Leodagan Skutter

I am surprised that no one notices the "futuristic" London view at the beginning of the opening credits (precesiley when the logo appears). It's kind of a clue telling us that the Red Dwarf Earth from 2009 is different from ours, don't you think?