Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. High_Low

High_Low Skutter

I though it was okay... about a C...C- maybe
    I reminded me of Seris 7 and 8
    Lacking that Red dwarf soul that MADE series 1-6
    I think Cat was the only one to truly be in character, the others where a little off I think.
    I think it is hard to judge right now, I mean it is only 1/3 of a bigger story.
    I am let down (i guess it is because I was so hyped up)
    But I am kinda fed up with the "fan bashing" 'Get a life' kinda comments
    everyone is can have an option!
    I will wait till i have seen them all to pass my judgement

2. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I really wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that she's not a hologram and is infact the sea monster thing. We don't know that it actually was a sea monster - it might have been a shape shifter or something. Maybe the fact that Holly is down is a plot line to prevent them from discovering that she isn't really a hologram because he'd know?

If this is the case, then she probably has some agenda in helping them which wont be revealed until later and thus it wouldn't have helped the story for it to be explained or for Kryten to be the one who realises they can use the testicle. Er, tentacle.

This actually wouldn't surprise me.... the movie wasn't going to follow on from 8 so who says this was intending to?

Aaaah I can't wait for tonight!

3. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

Sorry to burst the teary bubble, but I think the joke was we were meant to believe he was teary, when infact the water was dripping from Cat hanging above him. Sorry! :lol:

4. MacabreMagpie

I noticed that too - the kind of temple thing on the right looks very much like a particular building from a certain sci-fi film that we know is being paged homage to.....................................

5. MacabreMagpie

He did cry a little though! It was just the water hitting the book pages that was from Cat.

6. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

i thought the first episode of back to earth was brill. i thought it was really funny. cant wait for tonight!!!!!

7. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

This guys got it right after 10 years no one can expect them to be thrown straight back into it, part 1 was awesome and part 2 and 3 will be even better. Its just going to take time to get back to the years before, after all it is has been 10 years.

8. Leodagan

Leodagan Skutter

XD exactly... Perfect replica from Tyrell Corp building

[​IMG]

9. Whizzkid

Whizzkid Catering Officer

Fantastic! The boys from the Dwarf are back and they are on fine form. My nan was so surprised she mistook it for an old episode. I must say the make up team really know how to stop them from aging. She thought they looked the same as they did ten years ago. I can't wait to see that car version of Starbug in the forthcoming other parts. I'll be having a great night tonight. Robin Hood, Doctor Who and Red Dwarf! :-D

10. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

Tyrell Corp, or... Diva Droid? :P

11. billyballoch

billyballoch Third Technician

If you actually bothered to read other forum posts before actually making this post, you would have learned that for months we already knew that A- Holly wouldn't feature, B- Chloe Annet wouldnt feature, C- There would be no laugh track or live audience, and if you watched series 8 you would have known that the crew abandoned the ship in the last episode.

I hope that answers your stupid questions, i know this post may be a little rude but i just cant stand the fact that people can be so critical of what is the first part of the first episode in 10 years, of course it may be not be a perfect return to form in your opinion but i think that considering doug naylor only had 20 minutes to reintroduce us to the characters he did a pretty good job.

12. darkraptor8

darkraptor8 Third Technician

Very good episode for what i expected, it's classic Red Dwarf.

''Replacing Arnold Rimmer who is bit crap''

And.

'' He mean tentical''

''i hope so''

Fantastic.

Canb't wait for tonight.

13. billyballoch

I actully only noticed that the skutters were CGI upon watching the episode a second time. I thought they were brilliant. People complain that they moved to fast an smoothly, but isn't that how robots are supposed to move?

14. Arronweedall

Arronweedall Skutter

Being a RD fan I have to say i loved it and had a tear in my eye as the opening credits rolled...

True, it lacked the audience but... had the RD Movie ever been made that would also of had no laughter...
    it was great, i loved the CGI backdrop, it gave the ship the feeling of it being 5 miles long. something that the old series never did. there were no 'big' gags but that wasnt why i tuned in... if i want big gags i'll watch a stand up DVD. I tuned in to finally see our fav scouser going home... and to tie up all those loose ends.

however... what happend to Chrissy? what happend to rimmer? and the virus thing that was eating the ship in the final episode 'only the good...' surly some sort of explanation was in order... wasnt it?

Im just thankful that these last three have been made and i will be buying them when they come out in June on DVD.

i just hope it can be finished with dave finally going home.

15. billyballoch

I know what you mean mike, theres something not right with Katerina ( new girl).... i cant wait

16. bond_villain

bond_villain Third Technician

Well, I thought it was great! Script was funny, ship looks fantastic, Cat was funnier than he's been for ages (am I the only one who felt he was basically Duane Dibbley with fangs in 7 & 8? Especially the way he spoke?) - I even liked the scutter :-)

Yes, it took a little getting used to no laugh track, but hey - Spaced (hilarious, no laugh track), Peep Show (hilarious, no laugh track), Extras (hilarious, no laugh track). Not to mention animation like The Simpsons or Family Guy - no laugh tracks there. We all KNOW Red Dwarf is funny, and it's not the laugh track that MAKES it funny.

As for the people complaining that nothing's been explained - don't hold your breath. I don't think anything WILL be explained in the specials because they're just that - specials. A way of re-introducing Dwarf and hopefully capturing new viewers, as well as guageing audience reaction to open up the possibility of a new series (well, the new hologram will be explained, because she's a plot point, NOT a new character). If a series 9 comes along, maybe(hopefully) some things will be cleared up. Until then, sit back and enjoy the ride!

17. Santar

Santar Skutter

Hello everybody.
    Just had to register and give my support to the new Red Dwarf.
    I absolutely loved it!
    Loved that it was more serious with comedy in it than just silly gags all the time.

And I can't understand why some people actually wants the laugh track back.
    Do people need to be told when to laugh? I laugh at my own time at what I find funny, not when someone tells me "this was just funny, you need to laugh now"
    In fact I seem to recall that the option to turn off the laugh track on the dvd's of MASH is a very popular feature.

18. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Couldn't get on here at all last night, So here's my Thought's

FANSMEGGINGTASTIC, TBH i couldn't have wanted more, i absolutley loved the style of series 7 and was gutted they kind of took a step back with series 8, So seeing that they have brought back the series 7 feel and look has blown me away, I've watched RD from day 1, i still remember watching the tv ads for series 1 to start and watching the 1st ever episode in my bedroom with my kid brother with the lights off me aged 12.

BTE for me was the iceing on my red dwarf cake, i loved every minute of it, i nearly wet my self at cats testical line and even more so at rimmer's nearly there was good enough for me remark, And it looked absolutley stunning they way it should do. If this is what they can do with a very small budget and very little time imagine what a full series would be like, BUT we NEED to get rid of the 30 min shows and have a 40 - 45 min and episodes.

About the laughter track i was never a big fan of it anyway's, it needed to be ditched and about time too.

They have to comission a full series of 10 shows not 6 or 8, Get on it Dave don't let us down.

AND CONGRATS TO DOUG AND THE BOYS AND EVERY ONE ELSE WHO IS INVOLED FOR AN OUT STANDING JOB, CHEER'S CHAPS I KNEW I HAD NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

19. Bewareofthephil

Bewareofthephil Third Technician

Yeah, for a modern show 30 (or 22-25) minutes is far too short - especially to tell a sci-fi story. Even the new Doctor Who seems to struggle to fit the story into 45 minutes.

I noticed how Quarantine and Gunmen seemed really short yesterday too - the actual quarantine sequence was, what, 4 minutes long? And they were in the Wild West game for all of five, it felt like. Not complaining about the episodes, they're still amazing, but I feel a 45 minute show would be best - with ads that'd be padded out to an hour anyway.

20. Jimeze

Jimeze Skutter

I actually liked the episode, ok it wasn't as good as it was made out to be but it was still good. The lack of canned laughter actually made it more funny and enjoyable. I didn't like all the CGI, c'mon they CGI'd the Skutters who wern't CGI'd at all in any episode they were in previously.

I don't get how it can be based 9 years later, unless they based it on the alternative ending of Series 8 with the crew outside in the Starbugs etc and Lister and Co inside on Red Dwarf congering. Thats the only way this can feasibly work in my eyes.

And many people will be pleased how Kochanski is now dead, or returned to her actual dimension with her "better" Lister.

Still, looking forward to the next episode. Hopefully more will be explained about the 9 year gap.