Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Does anyone know the viewing figures ?

2. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

It was great, (Remember this is the first of a trilogy)
    Lister is more mature and is still getting on Rimmer's nerves!
    And although i wasnt laughing constantly it felt like more of a RED DWARF film which is no bad thing!

Still think Katerina poping in a soon as the Leviathan left is abit suspicious, i want tonight COME ON!

I love all the new users popping up to just moan haha

3. stin69

stin69 Third Technician

2.4million viewers ;-)

stevie:-)

4. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

According to Doug, 2.2 million though Digital Spy has reported it as 2.6. The record for a cable channel is 2.3

5. cj1008

cj1008 Skutter

wow is all i can say, i friggin loved every second of it, every detail has been well thought of beforehand.
    I just loved everything from the dialogue to the set design - it was bliss.
    Im just so happy weve got an even better red dwarf than before.cant wait for tonights episode.

6. MacabreMagpie

They were actually edited down, there were little bits of scenes missing, including Lister talking about his "jailbait" sprite lover.

7. hero250

hero250 Skutter

Found this site to stream the new episode for those that missed it or want to see it again

http://69db6863.blahetc.com

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I did notice that and and posted it here, then someone pointed out the blade runner connection. Also it's a dimension cutter so it seems clear the boys will be in a different dimension from their own. While we're at it, how do they know they will end up on an earth when humans are still alive? Never recall anything said about time travel

9. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I think the jailbait ballgirl gag being missing means that it's probably the copy the BBC used in the first rerun of Red Dwarf VI in 94 or 95 (when they reran the 36 episodes that existed at the time - actually I think they missed Psiren, but that's another story) The explaination was that as Craig Charles was facing a false rape claim, the line was removed. As was a line about his bad self enjoying meaningly sex in Demons and Angels. I've got both these cut versions on VHS taped when they went out. Was anything cut from Quarantine though?

10. MacabreMagpie

Well, from what we've seen and from what Robert Llewelyn has said they end up on Earth in the 21st century.

... Unless the Egyptians had a Rovers Return :P

11. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Which is why it makes sense if it's not quite "our" earth but an alternate version. Could be wrong though.

I was also just wondering how they know they can get back to an earth in the past - in other words, not one that is 3 million years after Lister was put into stasis, I hope it's explained in some way but if it isn't it won't bother me too much.

12. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

They still had the Time Drive from the start of Series 7. Maybe Katerina used pieces of it to create her dimensional rift thing so it could take them back in time. Of course this is not the first dimension jump to cross time too: Ace did it in Dimension Jump, leaping 3 million years into the future as well as across dimensions

13. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

There are some nice ideas coming through here, some that could well explain the lack of plot in this first episode :-)
    The thought that 'big suze' could be the squid and not a proper hologram is good, we saw the squid zoom off from the tank in a golden light then she appeared....hmmmm (I still would of maybe used a different lookin creature as it reminds me too much of the despair squid)

This story might not follow on from series 8, this is true, if so I do hope we get some kind of nod towards that. If not then I do hope we get a nod towards what has happened from the end of series 8 to now as there are many questions and personally I dont think having a seperate online comic or quick text scroll would be the decent thing to do. This is what Im missing from RD to be honest, the little plots in short 30min episodes, this is a TV comedy series not a movie so why try to make it something it isnt?

Yes RD isnt all about laughs but it is just a comedy set in space, yes you can have cool sci-fi scripts but I think with what we are seeing here in these new episodes is a pushing to be something else, something much greater than it need be and which it isnt, at the end of the day it is spoiling the basic premise alittle.

I think after this second episode it will become clear wether its gonna work or not, it does look like there's alot of plot to fit into these 3 episodes, maybe a follow on series?

14. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Ah very true!

15. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Personally, I was disappointed.

Not with the episode itself - I loved it. It felt a lot like seasons 1 and 2, and those episodes were some of the show's best.

The problem is, it's not a sitcom anymore. What I just watched on Dave was a film. A film that should have been shown in one 90 minute piece, rather than being spread over 3 nights as it is.

View it as a film and it makes a lot more sense - the first 20 minutes (tonight's episode) set the scene and introduce the characters, the middle half progresses the story and presents a conflict/twist, and the final part should be a neat conclusion. The abrupt cut to the advert break and at the end felt wrong too. Obviously, because it's a film cut into 3 parts.

And to make it clear, I did really like it - but it felt like watching the first 20 minutes of...say, The Dark Knight, then being forced to wait another day to watch the rest.

Anyway, yeah. I've already recorded part 1 on my trusty hard drive recorder, and I'll be doing the same for 2 and 3. Then I'll be using Adobe Premiere to put them all together into one film.

16. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

They could always both be part of the same sinister plot against our intrepid heroes!

17. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

@ richisawesome

I agree that it feels more like a film now, thats the problem here I think, thats what Grant Naylor want but it isnt gonna work in this 25min comedy format.

I think the term 'less is more' fits nicely.

18. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

I enjoyed it the first time, thought it was better the second time and by the third watch I'm lovin it!!! Really pleased that RD is back on tv after all this time. Does anyone know if there is any chance of another series???? Please let it come back I LOVE IT!!! Also I for one am glad Kochanski is dead...sorry!! I never liked it when they introduced her into the permanent cast and always felt it was better just the boys with the exeption of Holly as she's perfection Lol.. Also I never liked the whole crew of RD being alive either so its all good to me ... The CGI skutters didnt bother me either and I think the CGI in general was good.

Also is the viewing figure of 2.3 million good??? Didnt it used to get 8 million viewers?? Will the executives at Dave be happy?? As I suppose its all up to them whether it comes back for another series.... Here's hoping..

19. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

I am happy Red Dwarf is back and i hope it makes way for a new series, i have to say first i miss the laugh track, i always play red dwarf in the background and when the laugh track kicks in on over time i will stop what i am doing and see whats happening, maybe rewind it a bit to see what i missed, but as i have watch every episode to death i hardly need to, but red dwarf playing on the box in the background when your working gives a nice atmosphere to a room, without the laugh track that atmosphere just ain't there, why they cut it i will never understand, i watch the DVD extras on series 8 where there was no laugh track and it was dull, i think they need to bring it back even if its an extra feature on the DVD release, if not i may resist buying it by way of protest.

23mins in total the show ran for that's a big disappointment, i would have thought 30mins at least, the story was OK and i cant wait for tonight to see the next episode, but how long will it last and without the laugh track i am not as excited as i was just a day ago.

I hope the popularity of the show will spawn another official series and i don't mind waiting for it.

To sum up.. we need, well i need the laugh track Back! otherwise nice to see the show back on the box!

20. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

Really?! :?