Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

I've already pre-ordered mine from HMV LOL... cant wait to get it.. I wonder if the viewing figures will go up or down tonight??

2. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

For a digital channel, yes. The record is 2.3. There are conflicting reports on the viewing figures so, depending on who you believe, it's either just fallen short of the record by 0.1, equalled it, or beaten it. Either way, it's a historic amount of of viewers, and only counts live, not recorded.

3. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

This...was...freaking...amazing...and to top it off...IT HAD SKUTTERS, BABY!

4. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

Oh yeh a lot of people Sky + things so it may have even more viewers.. The guys at Dave Must be happy...

5. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

Well i loved seeing them back on TV!

The story seems to be typical dwarf, which is good. I do think the exclusion of the laughter track will take some getting used to but i really enjoyed it! The squid fight made me laugh loads! I do think that part 1 seemed like it was always meant as an intro rather than the meat of the story and laughs. It defiantly seemed like the specials would work better as part of the whole than stand alone episodes but we will get this on Monday :-) Basically we are looking at a cool red dwarf movie split into 3 parts.

CGI seemed good to me although i still love the old models :P I think we can expect to see loads of classic dwarf moments once they end up on earth (stuck in bad situations with the universes most hapless crew). Can’t wait for tonight’s episode!!!

I want to thank everyone that made this new Dwarf possible and i really want to see it continue with more series :-)

Keep it up guys, we need more! :-D

6. singlealbum

singlealbum Skutter

Hi all,

Firstly this will probably be very long so bear with me :-). I visit these forums a lot and after seeing Part 1 a few times and leaving myself to sleep on my opinion, I have decided to post my thoughts on last night’s epsiode and the future of Red Dwarf in general.

In short – I thought the episode was terrible. I can’t understand how some people are saying they like it – it isn’t a patch on any of the other seasons and this is coming from someone who loved seasons 7 and 8!

I have been looking forward to these specials for a long time and thought it was Doug’s moment to shine. However I have been having doubts from the start of this week after watching the Red Dwarf adverts containing no punch lines or anything remotely funny – Kryten’s entrance in the Hawaiin shirt just looked embarassing and the escalator scene wasn’t overly funny either. But my fears have come true.

It was just so painful watching Back To Earth – the start when Lister is in the corridor there was no gag and I was sort of frowning at this – in seasons 1 and 2 Lister would have been doing something to make me laugh in a boring old corridor.

Moving onto Lister and Rimmer talking together - the first attempted gag of Lister’s iron sneezing – I was like meh. Surely it would have been funnier if he had squeezed the tomato over his clothes and ironed the tomato into his clothes. Anyway Rimmer had no comeback line – he just said “you’ve been planning that for hours and hours” blah blah and then ending on “Lister you need to get a life.” What ****!

Then moving onto Konchanski’s grave – I thought that was rather touching. But then this is Red Dwarf and my fears of this being more a drama movie than a sitcom were evident.

The intro of the Cat seemed embarassing without a gag. When Cat was explaining about the size of the squid’s eye “It was this big. No this big, oh what’s the word?” and Rimmer says “big?” My hands went up to my eyes – I was cringing. After 10 years we get this bull****.

After Kryten enters and they decide to go off and find the squid Kryten says “I need to pack – oh wait a minute I already am packed”. Come on people – how is that funny???

Also when Lister says to the Cat “what if I flush the enitire supply of tuna out of an airlock”. Sorry again – what am I supposed to be getting here???

Then in the next scene when Rimmer is reading his car mag Lister says “we’re in the water now” Rimmer looks up and says “what… oh yeah”. I was thinking am I seriously missing the punchlines here??? Also surely Rimmer would be more interested in mags like Dicatorship Monthly or How To Build Your Own Telegraph Pole. Chris Barrie must have forgotten he was playing Rimmer and decided on a car mag for himself.

The bit when Rimmer is dancing to his music and after 3 times of Lister and Kryten whispering “can you hear us?”. I’m sure this has been borrowed from somewhere - I didn’t laugh then and I didn’t laugh now.

Next and this is the only bit I smirked at in the whole thing was when Katerina said about Rimmer - “He’s bit crap” and come on that’s a line coming from another character for ****’s sake!!

Then the scene with Rimmer and Katerina – she gets a real long speech about Lister repopulating the human race and ends with no gag. What is going on here?????

Moving onto when Kryten and Rimmer are talking about Katerina she walks in behind him and this is just an unfunny rip off from series 8 when Rimmer bad mouths the Captain when he’s standing behnind him.

Then when Lister and Rimmer are sharing their opnions of Katerina I was expecting a gag here – and nothing??????

Finally we see 2 – 3 minutes of Katerina building the machine and Lister says “I might end up with your head” and no laugh out loud line and it just ends with the portal opening. WTF??????

Seriosly people you will have to give me an example of sth which is genuinly funny in this epsiode. I can’t believe some people are saying they love it. I’m lost. What is there to love about it?

Also I’ve noticed some people who are liking the episode are saying loads of people hate it – I don’t see too many negative comments at the moment. I think some of you know deep down it’s a load of crap but are just saying you like it just for the sack of it. Let’s be honest Dwarfers and come back to reality – it’s ****.

The opening titles looked disjointed and I thought it would have been better using the opening titles from series 1 and 2. It would have suited the more “up scale” production look better. Also I thought it was quite a giant step not to record an audience laugh track for the episode. I now know why they didn’t do that – there’s nothing to laugh at.

The only thing I thought was quite good were the sets. It definatly looks very expensive for the meagre budget. The CGI on the whole wasn’t too bad however was a bit dodgy at times – the squid arms in particular and also the Scutter moved too fast. I didn’t notice the first time the Skutter gives Rimmer two fingers when he first turns away.

I can just see how Doug has blown his one attempt at a Red Dwarf comeback – let’s start by spending all the money on the sets and CGI, write an outline for a story and we’ll hope we come up with the gags on the day.

Doug Naylor has forgotten the principles of Red Dwarf. He seems very keen to make it look good but has forgotten the substance. I think Red Dwarf worked so well in the earlier series because they didn’t have a large budget on the production values. I mean take a look at the 1st series. Most of the comedy evolves from the situation of being stuck on the bland sets and was one of the reasons why Red Dwarf worked so well.

Now the complete opposite has happenened – the sets are impressive but the comedy is non - existant. The only way I can think Back To Earth and Doug Naylor can save himself is if he has a trump card in that Parts 2 and 3 have got some true gem moments of comedy. If not I think Doug can forget about making the movie. On this basis I think it will be the biggest mistake of his career and I’m not being nasty but it could be one of the reasosns why it has been delayed for so long – it just isn’t funny. I mean I can imagine a company being interested in making the film then asking to see the script and thinking – we’re not spending money on making that ****.

I also would like to raise the point of series 9. I always thought the BBC were barking mad not to recomission another series of Red Dwarf or at least a one of special like Back To Earth. But maybe it seems they have made the right decision – it just isn’t funny – it’s trash.

I mean I personally think Doug Naylor has already potentially ruined Red Dwarf for good unless part 2 and 3 are gold dust comedy (which I highly doubt). This episode should have been hilarious. It should have ended with the audience rolling around on the floor splitting at the sides. It should have made the older episodes look like funeral scenes. Sadly it has done nothing but alienated a lot of fans and the ones which are still smiling I guarantee some are just smiling to hide their dissapointment.

The only person I can think truely smiling at the moment is Rob Grant. He must be delighted he left the series when he did and maybe could be feeling sorry for Doug right now.

Norman Lovett must also be thinking “thank God I wasn’t in that”. I would if I were him.

I know the story has yet to unfold but come on 20 odd minutes have already been shown and they have been crap. Surely there should have been one good laugh out joke in the first act. The way it was shown was shoddy – the adverts seemed to come in too earlier and Dave have made a hash of screening a 3 parter – they should have kept it as one long episode the way Doug must have originally wanted it.

Could it be that this ranks alongside the american Red Dwarf as one of the worst Red Dwarf moments?

We have been waiting 10 years and all we got was pony smegging smeg.

7. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Are you american?

8. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

Give it time we have an hour to go.. Red Dwarf has obviosuly been a very important part of your life but it was just the intro to a larger story. I am sure the next two parts will be much more like classic dwarf. These guys have had a hard time getting red dwarf back on our TVs and now it is here it is up to the fans to support them. I agree it wasn't the same as the old style eps but you have to take it for what it is, a 1 hour 30 mins movie split into 3 parts.

Keep the faith;-)

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I just watched it a third time. Like all the best episodes it just gets better with each new viewing.

10. NibblingHellGoat

NibblingHellGoat Skutter

The laughter track should have stayed. The humour in Dwarf was never exactly subtle, and the whole trend with removing laugh-tracks sits in with the more modern style of "comedy" show, which is less gag-y and gnerally more poignant. The new episode is still written in the same old-fashioned vein that the old shows were, and they relied quite heavily on the laugh track. Imagine the first couple of series without the laugh track and it's the same.

Other points... Lister chucking the beer can is very loutish, but not very Lister. Rimmer's '...for idiots' book is obviously a gag that's been hanging around for a while and they ought to have had the sense to excise it as it's really dated. Kryten is basically the same character he was reduced to in the last couple of series - just a skeletal, gay/effeminate robot. So far away from the Kryten whose programming Dave corrupted - not to mention the sublime and existential original from series two. The Cat is also an absolute shell.

I'd say the key problem with it is the compromise between modernization and recreating a "period" sitcom. They should have gone all the way with one or the other.

But it's easier to come up with criticisms. On the whole I'm still looking forward to tonight's part.

11. SamTatr

SamTatr Skutter

It was a brilliant episode, but could do with more explanation. (How did Kochanski die? Why is Rimmer a hologram again? Where did the crew go?) It doesnt feel like a series IX, more like a series VII and a half. I loved the look of the CGI ship, but the skutter just looked wrong. Another criticism is that I couldnt tell what that Katrina person was saying half the time.

On the plus side, lots of little jokes,
    all the cast back into their old roles,
    some really funny scenes,
    and it set it up for an amazing episode today.

I hope today's is even better!

I know that half my family recorded it!

12. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

Absolutely this.

13. gallagher0073

gallagher0073 Skutter

One of the biggest disappointments in my life so far. I was so excited but it just left me flat and annoyed that it was so poor. The lack of a laugh track was a mistake but the CGI ruined it completely. It seemed to have finished b4 it started, it felt like a ten minute youtube video than a full episode.

I know they want to make a film but why? Whats so special about a film? I'd rather have a quality series than a film any day. Still having said all that it was great to see them back, hopefully when they get to earth CGI won't be used as much.

Still it was so good to see them back! and strange coz my seven year old daughter loves red dwarf too and watches it with me. Feeling old!

14. barnaclebill

barnaclebill Third Technician

I really enjoyed part one of the new dwarf. Some harsh comments above, I agree it could have been funnier - some of the jokes did actually make me laugh, some could have been better.... But to me there is more to like about RD then just 'good gags'. What has always impressed me about RD are the characters and the plots and I think this is building up to a bloody good one. It's going to surprise a lot of people ;-) So yeah I agree give it a chance. All will be answered :-)

And yeah on repeated viewings I found it grew on me, perhaps due to getting accustomed to the new style. Plus the whole thing viewed as a single episode will improve it yet again.

For TV, three individual seperate stories would have made more people happy methinks, as people are left hanging.. but the DVD will be awesome. We will 'kind of' get our long awaited Red Dwarf movie! And so happy with the viewing figures. I hope they stay in the 2 millions. Dave must be well pleased :-)

15. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I like the look of the bunk room :-) harks back to series 1 and 2 but looks abit smarter, nice.

Am I the only Brit who liked the original US pilot? hehe the cast were OK :-)

16. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

First off, here's my take on the Series as a whole:

S1 - A bit slow, but still very good and with a lot of laughs.
    S2 - The pace picks up a bit, evolves and is superior to S1.
    S3 - Comedy gold.
    S4 - More comedy gold, again it evolves - especially Kryten.
    S5 - More "off the ship" scenes, and the Cat starts to evolve more. Still a lot of comedy.
    S6 - Seems to stretch things a bit (which is what Rob Grant must have thought). A lot of repeat characters
    (like DD and ACE) but still works, for the most part.
    S7 - Comedy/Drama. The loss of Grant and Chris Barrie mars the show. And I just don't like the new Kochanski.
    Still, there are some laughs and some high points.
    S8 - I watch this season very rarely. Nice to be back on the ship, but the laughs seem strained.
    "Cassandra" is a great episode, however, and "Only the Good" is not bad. Losing the whole "Last Man Alive" theme really causes problems, in my opinion.

So, "Back to Earth" so far. I can live with the loss of the laugh track and the added "film" feel, similar to S7. And I don't mind the loss of Kochanski and S8 Holly, both of whom were awful. The "Last Man Alive" theme returns, as well as classic Lister clothes! And I assume S6 / S7 / S8 have been "ignored" as far as continuity is concerned (which is fine). The Lister / Rimmer scenes are always welcome, and the Cat scenes went well (loved his second suit). But Kryten was under-utilized, so far. The new hologram is nice eye candy, and I await her true intentions as the other episodes are aired. Not too many laughs, but this episode really set the stage for the other two episodes to come...

Bottom line: I put this at the level of early S7, so far. Not quite as good as the Grant/Naylor days, but I think the "getting back to basics" theme is an improvement over late S7 / S8.

17. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Incorrect.

Rimmers line was setting up Listers "Like your sex life" joke.

Even though the scene had a very funny joke in it? (".... pray to god there's a car chase in this one...")

There was an almost identicle joke in the last series, which you said you liked, did you cringe then?

It might not be that funny to some people (I didn't laugh at the line much), but it was very much in character. I could imagine Kryten making that joke in any series.

Cats a cat. Cats like fish. Tuna is a type of fish.... joining the dots?

I would argue that was a simple line of dialogue to underline the fact that Rimmer isn't really paying attention rather than a joke.

And what about the bit where Rimmer is dancing and Lister is getting smeared across the screen by the giant tentacle behind him? That made me laugh out loud and that was also a moment that could have come from any series.

The gag was Rimmer not having any idea what she was talking about and trying to impress her, failing.

Not really - part of the joke was the innapropriate things that Kryten was saying that you would never actually greet a woman with to try and make Rimmer realise.

The gag was that Rimmer hated her because she wanted to erase Rimmer, and Lister liked her because she wanted to erase Rimmer.

It's called a cliffhanger.

I think most of us are old enough and mature enough to acknowledge if we don't like something, thankyou very much.

I would agree that the opening titles didn't work as well as in previous series, but I would disagree that they should have used the old theme. I would also say that, since it's the opening titles, it doesn't really matter.

They didn't do it because of the budget and time restraints. And without a laughter track, they changed the tone of the show accordingly. Plently of people here found it hilarious, as did I, so clearly there were things to laugh at.

Thats the joy of SUBTLE humour. You notice new things on every viewing. And I've loved this ep even more each time I've seen it!

18. mrstereo1

mrstereo1 Skutter

It was awesome, the CGI was beutiful and the acting/script was brilliant. Rimmer dancing while the rest of the crew are being attacked by a dimension hopping sea monster was a classic moment. This is probably the best episode yet, and the only one I've seen only once... for now.

19. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I watched it again and still finding new jokes, very subtle and filmic, my compliments to Doug.

20. nodmonkey

nodmonkey Skutter

So, Kryten recognised what the dimension-jumping leviathan was pretty damn fast. But the big question remains, which I haven't yet heard asked: Is this leviathan the first real alien to appear on Red Dwarf?

All the other creatures, robots and monsters in RD's past have had their origins on earth or from human creation (in their own or a parallel dimension). Will the leviathan count as the first genuine extra-terrestrial in the RD universe, or will it be nothing more than a man-made GELF gone wrong?