Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

I think the familiar terminology suggests a similar case to the despair squid.
    Albeit, with go-faster dimension hopping stripes. You maniacs! It was Earth!

2. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

Possibly... I have my doubts though that it actually is just a monster, I think it could be a shape shifter. Big suze DID appear right after it vanished after all....

3. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

I enjoyed Part One for the most part. The only real thing that ruined it for me was the adverts, and that it seemed to end suddenly; right when the story was starting to pick up. As the opening "segment" it set up the story nicely, but it's annoying having to wait until Part Two, even if it is only 24 hours. People seem quick to condemn it, but I guess that's their opinion.

I think BtE would have worked better as one long feature rather than 3 separate "bits". It feels like watching the first 20 minutes of a movie, and being torn away from it just as it started getting interesting. Still, I can't wait for tonight's part, with all it's Blade Runner-esque splendor :-D

I hope when the DVD comes out there will be the option to view it feature-length. I have a strong feeling that the whole will be greater than the sum of it's parts :-)

4. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I like the Rimmer line...
    'Im gonna need a good mag while yr down there'

or along those lines hehe bit of classic cowardness from Rimmer there, best lines in the episode for me. The whole 'prepare' conversation before they go down in the diving bell, with Rimmer remarking 'I'll be there in spirit'.

:lol:

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

The CGI sets are an abomination. Just because the technology is there doesn't mean it has to be used. Why not go the whole hog and have the cast recreated digitally as well? Although this is Dave, remember, and sticking the actors in front of a green-screen for the duration is going to save dollops of money on set builds and hire.

It needs the laughter track.

Why doesn't this RD's interior bare even the slightest resemblance to the old one?

Everything felt so empty - like nothing was real... hold on, nothing was real!

Thanks for the effort, Dave, but stick to your repeats.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Singlealbum, I've edited your post. If you break the language rules of this forum again I'm afraid you'll have to leave the site. No matter what you think of the show, please keep your posts civil and within the etiquette of the site.

7. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

um the sets changed alot from 1-3, so not like they haven't done before.

8. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

i do find it odd that we dont know which Red Dwarf this is, but either way the CGI skutters wanted a minimalistic look.

I prefered when the corridors were all metal grates, pipes and wires. now the corridors are one long white hall, a stupidly large window you'd expect to see on a cruise spaceship, and a slightly different shade panel.

9. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Not to this degree.

Singlealbum, you're not alone, my friend. An awful lot of true Dwarf fans hated this. We'll be shouted down and have our posts dissected by 'experts', such as MacabreMagpie did with yours, but it's only to be expected. The hype and antisipation was such that I honestly believe many fans simply refuse to accept how bad this was.

10. luckyluke1511

luckyluke1511 Skutter

Well hear are my thoughts.

It was a good opening to the episode - still many elements from classic dwarf. My only worry is I think they used TOO much cgi. Just because the technology is there doesn.t mean they have to ove use it. However it means cheaper sets for Dave, and if there's no Dave there's no episode so it's better than nothing.

I would like more light shedded on the Kochanski + Holly situation. How did she die? If these points aren't resolved in the other parts then what I would like to see is a novel that fills the gap. Sorts out the key points we've missed. Maybe they went into stasis at one point instead of drifting for nine years? Or they could do another little comic filler like Prelude to Nanarchy.

Also - how can that new hologram exist? I don't think she is all she seems. Holly/Red Dwarf could only sustain one hologram so that makes no sense. She did however appear RIGHT after the squid dimension-hopped. When she was asking Rimmer about Lister's personality, Rimmer mentioned about only one holagram being sustainable normally. She interuppted him twice as continued with what she was saying.

Odd? Only time will tell...

11. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

There's an echo in here :P

12. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I really enjoyed last night's episode, it wasn't as funny as classic Red Dwarf but still had plently of funny moments. The plot is building up nicely which is good. No studio audience laughter took a bit of getting used to. Like the new uptodate look of the ship. Cat's lilac outfit was brilliant. Looking forward tonights episode hope it's even better.

13. Jennifer2009

Jennifer2009 Skutter

I was very glad that it was just the main 4 characters, I never liked it when Chloe Annett was in it and Kryten turned into a whining puppy. I got a bit worried when the new girl popped up, until I realised she isn't a new character, just part of the story line.

I thought the testicle gag was laugh out loud funny, and Lister sneazing through a sieve. I didn't like the part where Rimmer said he couldn't do anything to help them as his hands were shaking so much. People do find different things funny though; my boyfriend laughed out loud at bits I didn't, and vise-versa.

I loved the way the writers seemed to want to take the feel of the show back to how it used to be, focusing on the relationship between the characters, and beginning the episode with Lister winding Rimmer up having spent hours setting up his plan, just like in the early episodes. I thought Rimmer wasn't as smug as he used to be. I hope we see the Rimmer salute at some point!

I can't wait for tonight's episode, (or maybe tomorrow's?), I'm sure everyone knows where they end up, absolutely brilliant idea and a CLASSIC Red Dwarf storyline.

I could imagine the audience's reactions, it would have been great when Kryten walked in for example, everyone would have cheered. I missed that, (I think if you're used to audience laughter in a show, you miss it, just like Only Fools & Horses was never the same in the episodes without the audience, or adding canned laughter to The Simpsons would now seem wierd).

I just think having Holly would have rounded off the show for me, but maybe he/she will appear at some point! I can't wait to see the other episodes :-D

Thanks so much to everyone who made it happen, I really hope we will see more in the future!!

14. Bewareofthephil

Bewareofthephil Third Technician

I'm really looking forward to tonight's chapter. Unfortunately, though, it's the 3-parter thing that will be the major problem with this mini series. In my humble opinion, the key to Red Dwarf's success is the strength of it's stand alone episodes. When you trawl your collection for a fun ep to watch, are you ever inclined to really watch Pete or Back In The Red? As a whole episode, they become too long to become an impulse watch, yet the continuing story thing means they don't stand up very well as just individual episodes. This basically kills the rewatchability factor that makes the early seasons so wonderful.

Series 8's biggest problem for me was how it only had 3 "stand alone" episodes. If a series 9 does come of this (and honestly, I do hope it does. Haters be darned!) I hope it goes back to the Every Episode is Watchable Individually style. Ultimately Back To Earth is going to be something you'll only watch in one long sitting.

15. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

well done to MacabreMagpie for tearing that guys arguments to pieces!! GOOD WORK

16. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Well, I can't say anything that has not already been said, i think everey little detail of the show has been discussed.

I am a long time dwarf fan and have watched from series 2 onwards. I went to a friends to watch the show, another long time dwarfer. We sat and watched the show and although none of us laughed out loud we didnt hate the show. I think we expected dissopointment after series 7 and 8 and although it wasn't classic dwarf, we quite enjoyed it. Like what has been stated hundreds of times already, hope we find out which rimmer it is; just a simple "I can see why you failed as Ace" from lister will do me. Im not so botherd as to why Kachanski died. Simple diologue can tie up the plot holes

17. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

Who kidnapped them when Red Dwarf VIII was made then? :-)

Watched the first BTE last night, and sorry to say it was very poor. Nice photography and production and everything, but dull on every level. Almost nothing happened in the script. A dull idea padded out to half an hour with lukewarm gags. The energy, the chemistry, the magic in the interaction between the characters - all gone.

Never reheat a souffle. It was smeg.

18. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Well, not incorrect - with comedy there is no right and wrong, it's a matter of opinion. Personally I don't find either idea that funny. My big problem with ironing the sneeze if the fact that the set up was so long, it was like that laboured scene in series VIII when Hollister is saying "do you know what happens when a dinosaur eats 10 tons of...blah blah.." If Lister had just sneezed on his clothes, thought a second and then proceded to iron with it that would've made me laugh a bit (a lot more like the best Red Dwarf grossout gags like lister spilling the milkshake down him in Confidence and Paranoia or the medical supplies being used in Polymorph, no long set up) instead I got bored waiting for the punchline which didn't live up to the set up.

I still feel that the writing has been a bit better at steering clear of bad jokes though, so hopefully part 2 and 3 will have a more free flowing natural style of humour, not laboured attempts to exploit the characters well known quirks untill they don't even seem like the same characters - which is what I felt started to happen in VII and VIII. This seems like a fair start, because Kryten and the cat have been a lot better even in the first episode.

20. joeyo88

joeyo88 Skutter

Tbh i loved it, in my eyes it was them getting back into character and "warming up". As for the laughter track people are talking about i agree but i always seen them as a way of forcing you to laugh, with or without it last night i laughed the from cats entrance all the way to the end. I cant wait for tonights and sundays parts and cant wait for the plot to unfold! bring on the laughter i say.