Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

I've had to sit back carefully and think of my opinion. Well, I'm sat here and I cant wait for part 2. So I guess I liked it.

It was ALWAYS going to be different to previous RD. And if you look at it hard enough it has aged well. Lister seems to have assumed the higher rank of the ship, and as the alpha male, he would have. Kryten has evolved his software to now have emotions even more human like an needs breaks. Rimmer is still just as cowardly, just as smeggy, but has seemingly grown weary of it.

I believe that more will be revealed in parts 2 and 3 that are a bit surprising, or have an important twist.

To early to judge it really, but so far, I like it. The first 10 mins were a bit slow for me, but like people have been saying, I think this is a TV movie split into 3. If that is the case, the first 10 mins is always slow and is (re)introducing the characters.

2. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

yes very often i love the longer episodes, series 7 extended without the laughter track are class some of my all time favs

3. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I think you can watch them as one on DVD, if the case then i'll watch it like a film.

4. Nerd_93

Nerd_93 Skutter

Hi,
    I'm new!
    I think that someone had a point. It is a bit like Star Wars: Episode One- The Phantom Menace. A bit different, but it's still a part of the glorious history!
    Couple of pointers.

1. What's up with not finishing the smeggin' story-lines? This is similar to the transition between Series 2 & 3- they just leave the story in the smeggin' wind! I want to know what happens between Rimmer kneeing Death in the balls and Back to Earth: part one!! (Doug's a great writer, but having the complete story would fill in some massive blanks, with potential for expanded universe things like audio tapes or the Star Wars comics/novels!!)
    2. That female character is a lot like another character from the episode "Holoship"!
    3. The "science officer" Katerina is a mystery.
    a) who the hell booted her up, since Holly's not around?!
    b) the references to RD's science officer in series VIII point to the science officer having a wife, with whom Ackerman shares a relationship in his Batman outfit. So either she's not the science officer or she's a lesbian science officer who won't be interested in any of the Red Dwarfers (now Kochanski's apparently hopped it?!)
    Apart from a few points, brilliant episode, WELCOME BACK DWARFERS!!!!!!:-D

5. Mallen2X4B

Mallen2X4B Third Technician

Sorry, but does anyone know who the other fellow's picture at the grave is? (Glasses, mustache)

6. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

people want funny funny, funny, whereas i was always expecting back to earth to just be a story and any humor was a bonus.

And it's Mel Bibley's picture.

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Mel Bibby, the set designer for series 3-8

8. RohedinRD

RohedinRD Skutter

Here's my review, it might be a day late, but never mind.

Good points
    • The CGI was great, especially considering the budget.
    • The actors slipped back into their roles very well.
    • The Squid scene was hilarious, as were a lot of the jokes.

Bad points
    • This is more my opinion, but I kinda enjoyed the non-CGI low-budget tackiness of the original RD special fx.
    • As a lot of people are saying I didn't laugh quite as much, but see below

OK, it wasn't as funny as some people were expecting, but Part 1 has to establish a lot of storyline in only 24 minutes, not leaving much room for jokes. It wasn't less funny, the jokes were just spaced out a bit more to leave room for storyline.
    So, I'm confident that the next 2 parts will be a lot funnier, and hopefully when shown after Part 1 on Monday, the whole package will appear how it is: funny.

Good job GNP!

9. singlealbum

singlealbum Skutter

10. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

You're just upset that you can't force every person in the world to bow to your opinion.

Your opinion *isn't* fact.

Get over youself, smeghead.

11. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

I love how Billy Casper manages to nit pick everything except the writing and comedy.

oh there's too much CGI
    oh there's no laugh track

Give me a break. Don't bother watching it tonight, Red Dwarf is better and stronger without silly people like you.]

I, for one can't wait to see how it pans out.

12. crazybear38

crazybear38 Skutter

Hey Dan

Water wouldnt come up I suppose due to air pressure, I presume that that diving bell's bottom was open (all the way down) so the squid tentacles came up thru opening. (bell works same way as taking a glass upside down and pushing it into water (verticly) inside of glass will remain dry.)

Also personally i didnt think that that was that poor of an episode, i did miss the laugh tracks but looking forward to the next ones!

13. beesbees

beesbees Skutter

I enjoyed it, judging it solely by this episode if it was a new programme I'd like it enough to make a note and watch the rest.

It's not traditional Red Dwarf, but it was never going to be - a lot changes in ten years, and I think they've done justice to the name. I'm still undecided RE the whole laugh track - it used to annoy me, but now it's gone, I kinda miss it. Eh. I always preferred comedy series without it, and the trend recently seems to be against it which I've always seen as a good thing. But in this case I don't know.

Overall - good going, can't wait to see more.

14. MagicMonkey77

MagicMonkey77 Third Technician

Fantastic

21st century Dwarf

Can't understand the bad comments at all, there are NO plot holes "IT'S BEEN 9 YEARS" just wait till you see the rest of the shows which is clearly the way it's meant to be seen.

This first part was excellent good jokes good looks and good story.

Really looking forward to part 2.

P.S if you need a laughter track to get the jokes, well maybe you need to be watching something a bit more simple :?

15. MagicMonkey77

MagicMonkey77 Third Technician

Fantastic

21st century Dwarf

Can't understand the bad comments at all, there are NO plot holes "IT'S BEEN 9 YEARS" just wait till you see the rest of the shows which is clearly the way it's meant to be seen.

This first part was excellent good jokes good looks and good story.

Really looking forward to part 2.

P.S if you need a laughter track to get the jokes, well maybe you need to be watching something a bit more simple :?

16. joeyo88

joeyo88 Skutter

exactly :-) 2nd one will be kinda of the same i think but abit more funnier. cant wait!

so true lol

17. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

I've watched episode one 8 times now Lol and I totally love it and think its better than any episdode from the last 2 series! Its back on form..Love it!

18. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I find it hard to say anything based on Just one part of an episode. I could say its rubbish becuase i dont understand what the smeg is going on and why certain charecters have done what they have or have'nt then I remember its part one of a 3 "Part" episode. I will probably beable to structure my thoughts when I have seen the whole episode. What I can say about Part one, is it had some good jokes in it which made me laugh and it was fantastic to see the Crew again.

One other thing that irritates me (dont shout at me as everyone is entitled to their own opinions) Is people mentioning its not as good as when Rob Grant was writing the episodes. He decided to quit and times must move on. Red Dwarf cannot be the same forever, it has to change slightly and I think Doug is doing a fantastic job. I listned to an interview Rob did on Radio Wiltshire from several years ago, last night. If he was still here and had his way, he said he would have sacked the entire cast and replaced them with younger actors and that he loved the American version and its new charecters. How wrong would that be?

Back to back to earth part 1. I liked it, I liked it alot. The Cgi seemed to fit in well with the rest of the film this time I only noticed most of it after reading these forums and watching the repeat on Dave Ja Vu. Cant wait to see the next part in 2 hours :-D

19. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Third Technician

I thought it was totally awesome, in fact I'd say it may be the best dwarf yet. And I've only seen part 1!
    I loved the film-like quality of it, and the way it opened with it zooming into the ship and staying outside for the first two kinda scenes looking in through the windows. I think katerina was awesome, her acting and character was totally cool, only thing is it was a bit strange how none of the characters really questioned her presence, and how she 'coincedentally' turned up the second the squid thing dissapeared, apart from rimmer once which was shrugged off. I guess we'll find out more about that later on. I thought it was just as funny as old red dwarf, i just guess that some people find it a bit weird that theres no laugh track with it...

I really wanted more, and could definately tell the episode was shorter than previous episodes. hopefully we'll be getting more soon too, even after back to earth has finished being aired!

p.s. I think the bit i laughed the hardest at was when the squid was attacking everyone, and cat said 'can you keep the noise down back there!? I'm trying to look for the squid!'
    also, kryten: 'your breasts look particularly well today' rimmer: 'what?'

20. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

See what I mean? I think you'll find, MR E Smeg, that Singlealbum's argument - which as you like to think was 'torn to pieces' - was one of the few intelligent and honest posts on this thread.

This banding together we're seeing, from fans who refuse to accept the new RD is a flop, is making me nauseous. What we're witnessing here is the typical sci-fi geek mentality.

The new Red Dwarf is bobbins. Deal with it and move on!