Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

New Red Dwarf being A FLOP as you put it is YOUR OPINION but that doesn't make it a fact Deal with it and move on!

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

But, CJ MAK, it's blatantly obvious that the majority here simply aren't saying it as it is. Stop clutching at straws, people. They tried, they failed. As it happens I don't blame the writers or actors for this. Dave is the guilty party here, for refusing to put any serious money into the project. Had the BBC been at the helm, things would have turned out a whole lot better.

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

But, CJ MAK, it's blatantly obvious that the majority here simply aren't saying it as it is. Stop clutching at straws, people. They tried, they failed. As it happens I don't blame the writers or actors for this. Dave is the guilty party here, for refusing to put any serious money into the project. Had the BBC been at the helm, things would have turned out a whole lot better.

4. Gavavva

Gavavva Skutter

I think "I" didn't like it so much because Doug's just not making a TV show here and it shows quite a lot. Guys this new Red Dwarf has been shown in the worst possible way... Its been split into three "episodes" which, to be fair, don't work. This is a film, split in three different pieces, and its clear its not really supposed to be seen that way. The pacing is totally off for a series IMO, and would work better as a 90min piece, not to mention the advert breaks and ending of the first episode were SO random and just appear from nowhere.

Now, the lack of laughter, the random breaks, the fact that it gets good after you watch it back (I watched it three times last night, it got better each time) and the fact its really just set up like a film... It shocks me they made this a three parter. Both me and the other half wanted more, but we wanted more there and then, not the next day.

Maybe the laughter is a huge issue. For me it was. I got flashbacks of watching Season VII, one of the worst IMO, and when you watch the episodes with no laughter in (DVD extra) it really does seem like the same show. But for me, I think this would of worked 100x better if they waited until Easter Sunday and just had the entire thing as one single show.

I'm a Dwarfer, through and through. But I hope tonight the show really does impress me. Last night was something different... Too much CGI, not enough cheap effects (I was SCREAMING for a scene in a dim lit room with ASDA packing crates on the walls) and no real gags... I dunno. The guys have my money for the DVD, its the best I can do short of donating, I love the crew that much. But maybe the problem is that they made the show TOO GOOD, so good in fact that it lost the very core of what Red Dwarf was, the Dwarf we love... A show that lasts 25mins, has fast and in your face gags, laughter, and really shoddy sets.

Episode 1 was a fitting title... But remember guys, Episode 2 was much better just with an annoying hair style from Obi-Wan, and Episode 3 was awesome with an amazing ending and a fantastic battle... But if Jar Jar shows up, I "will" cry...

EDIT: BTW I didn't know the mods were so trigger happy here lol. I also didn't know that this was the only place to discuss all the episodes. I don't appreciate having to move a post of mine to another thread that was about the series as a whole. Maybe don't be so trigger happy next time. I'm an admin of several forums myself.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

But, CJ MAK, it's blatantly obvious that the majority here simply aren't saying it as it is. Stop clutching at straws, people. They tried, they failed.
    As it happens I don't blame the writers or actors for this. Dave is the guilty party here, for refusing to put any serious money into the project. Had the BBC been at the helm things would have turned out a whole lot better.

6. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I thought it was ok, It certianly wasnt funny or anything. I never laughed at any point, but I guess it was good to see them back.

One thing I found about the whole thing...it felt very sad. The old ones, I never wanted them to get home or the whole crew getting back, because even though it was a hopeless situation that would be hell, they very rarely showed it, Lister got a little grumpy in timeslides and a little down in series 1. But the rest was light hearted.

Here is was a lot of old men, cramped up and it just felt very lonely and sad. There was just something pretty sad about the whole thing.

Also ANOTHER intellegent, headstrong woman in charge. How many of these do we get? we just got rid of one!

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

How is is "blatantly obvious"? Is it honestly that impossible that anybody actually liked it? As someone who did like it, I think the answer there has to be "no". We aren't "clutching at straws" we honestly enjoyed it. We all get that you didn't, and a lot of others beside you as well, but you need to accept that a lot of us did enjoy it.

And had the BBC been at the helm it would never have happened. It is common knowledge the beeb wants nothing to do with us anymore.

8. luckyluke1511

luckyluke1511 Skutter

Haha didn't notice mate. D

9. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

Agreed. Why is it that some people simply cannot accept that other people can have their own opinions?

I enjoyed it, and I find it ever so slightly insulting to be told by someone that I'm only pretending to like it, and that I can't admit it sucks. If they think it sucks, fine. They're entitled to their opinion, and they should let me be entitled to mine :-)

10. Tadrd19

Tadrd19 Skutter

I thought the first episode was great just like the old series the only different is the background laughter not being there. The characters are just as funny as before too, the new sets/CGI makes red dwarf look allot more realistic.

I know some people aren’t too happy with the episode. But look at all the old series from the start to finish, it’s been a long time and with each series things have been changing.

11. faith

faith Third Technician

Well I watched episode 1 again on Youtube. Did I like it any better second time around? No. It was OK, but not a patch on earlier series. Instead of focusing on making a movie for TV, how about making a fantastically funny script with a brilliant storyline? The movie look was great, but it's not Red Dwarf. And I agree with having yet another woman on board - I don't give a smeg if RD has no women, it does fine without them. OK, so she's probably the squid anyway but still...

This was poor, let's not pretend otherwise. It needed a laughter track, it needed a decent script, and - amazingly - some of the acting wasn't up to scratch either which has never happened before. Maybe tonight will suprise me, but I think the best days are behind us.

12. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I don't really get how Dave are at fault. I don't care about the effects, I just want a good script with great laughs, you don't need a huge budget for that, that part is up to the writers and actors. To be honest Dave have sunk a massive amount into this considering all their shows are repeats from other channels and they are a very small channel. The BBC are huge but never wanted any more shows.

13. sniffer

sniffer Skutter

After the wait i didnt think it was that good tbh. It was ok in parts but hopefully it will get better when they are back on earth

14. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

I, for one, loved the new episode. The cheesy CGI is just as hilarious as the old cheesy props and effects. Those testicles [sic] looked about as convincing as the polymorph or Inquisitor's lasers. Perfect.

While I agree that it doesn't have the same feel without a laugh track, Red Dwarf has changed styles and been reinvented so many times for each incarnation that it's hard to even peg down what "classic Red Dwarf" feels like. The new sets look cool and fresh (every couple series the sets seem to change drastically anyway.) I like how the gray from series 1 & 2 is back. It's a daring move to give so much of the camera time to a guest star in a special that could very well be the last we ever see of Red Dwarf, but I'm hoping it will pay off in episodes 2 and 3. I love how Lister and Rimmer seem to be getting on really well, like they began to in series 8.

The only thing I'm hoping for is an explanation as to how we got from "Only The Good..." to here. Even if it's just a brief one-liner explanation along the lines of "Lister said he passed his chef's exam when really he failed," the starwars scroll at the beginning of "Backwards," or the camera monologue at the beginning of "Tikka to Ride."

One thing about Red Dwarf, it keeps evolving and moving forward. Nostalgia is for sissies in red gingham dresses.

15. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

I would think the majority here are saying it as it is... it's a new Red Dwarf for 2009, the CGI does what it is supposed to do, the characters are much like themselves during the early days, there are both new and old style jokes and this is just the first episode.

You say they tried and they failed, but I do not see what you base that on. For starters, you have only seen the first episode of three. 6 minutes and counting until the second :-D

16. brautigan

brautigan Third Technician

I thought it was great, great acting, fab storyline, brill FX, timing, script.
    only one gripe...it was too short!
    Those who complain are missing the bigger picture, namely it's a three parter, Doug Naylor has obviously gone for quality over quantity, there are some great references to previous shows, the show is back, it has already surpassed RD8, and just looks so much bigger, filmic, epic, call it what you will, but I thought it was bloody grand...and funny!

17. kazoo1963

kazoo1963 Skutter

Please help me understand how to view the shows . I am being a REal Rimmer .it would be nice to see the shows

Kazoo1963 in Seattle , WA.

18. steohara

steohara Skutter

I can't believe anyone enjoyed this at all! The whole point of red dwarf was to be funny which this episode wasn't! If anyone justifies the lack of humour by saying that there was depth to the script or that it's being taken in a new direction is ridiculous! All these people saying that the movie look to the episode and the cgi adds to it clearly was never a fan of red dwarf to begin with! The old episodes had little or no special effects and were deep enough to sustain and grow a fan base through all the old series! What made red dwarf brilliant was funny scripts and great interaction between the characters/actors of which this episode had neither!

19. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Well I now look back on this first part and think....its actually not too bad, I liked it alittle anyway but compared to the pile of spewtum that is part 2 this is brilliant, but only cos part 2 is spewtum in the toilet bowl of TV.

20. shelbert

shelbert Third Technician

EP 1 wasn't what I'd hoped for not by far but I liked it more than series 8.
    The biggest problem (in my eyes)is that doug has tried to hark to the old glory days. Those days are gone, you can't get them back.
    There's so many little points to pick on. The space bike...where did that appear from? We haven't seen that since series one!
    Most of the cgi was ok but I would have liked to seen more prop work.
    The length was another major problem for me. It was like "what? that's a bit crap" even though i knew it was coming.
    How come cat suddenly regressed back to series one personality? (although it was nice to hear him say "monkey boy" hehe)
    The thing I liked most was the leviathan scenes. Rimmer dancing while the rest were in trouble...although I think it would have worked better if he was trying to do work or something similar to quarantine.
    I LOVED the bit where the leviathan grabbed lister by the neck and dragged his face across the diving bell window (independence day anyone?) but there was no need to do it twice.
    In all it wasn;t brilliant but it wasn;t crap and I'm likely to watch it a few more times which is more than I could say for series 8.