Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Just watched again on Dave+1, early days and not to be negative..... but I never really laughed throughout, a couple of sniggers but nothing really in terms of creasing up or joyfully laughing. I hope it gets better and suspect it will but I sort of wished it was one 90 minute episode.

Well at least it wasn't packed with lame jokes.

2. BozBoo

BozBoo Deck Sergeant

I have to say.....i'm not sold just yet. I liked the Kochanski bit. And the 'bit crap' line made me laugh. But I need more. I sincerly believe it will be a good run :-)

3. Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third

Roche_P_Nibblick_the_third Third Technician

Being a life long Red Dwarf fan I found tonights episode to be very good though, as people have said it is missing something. That something as my girlfriend pointed out was a live audience I feel the cast always work better when they have an audience to play to. I did find it funny and I do like the new look ship even though it is CGI (I'm not a fan of CGI) if only they built a model and got Peter Wragg on board to film it then it would be the best one yet) My most major disapointment was the CGI skutter they should have a R/C skutter otherwise to me its not a Skutter. I do hope they make a full series as I feel the time is right for a new one, but only if they go back to the live audience (series VIII was better than VII in this respect). Overall I'm looking forward to the next two episodes.

4. jonafluff

jonafluff Skutter

i thought it was a bit funny but it didnt feel the same as the old red dwarf they really need to put a laughter track becasue it just aint the same with out it

5. southblue

southblue Third Technician

I feel awful for posting this, but I feel very let down. Perhaps I shouldn't have gotten so hyped up about it - I think I may have expected a bit too much.

I'm disappointed that the series viii cliff-hanger remains unresolved, but I suppose if I was to ignore the broadcasted ending to Only the Good in favour for the alternative ending BTE makes a little sense (although it still doesn't answer the Rimmer/hologram question). I'm not normally one for picking fault with plot, but it would have been nice to have had some kind of explanation. Perhaps all will be revealed in the next 2 episodes.

Worst of all, I didn't find this first episode very funny at all, but I suppose the object of this episode was primarily to recap/reintroduce viewers to the characters.

Dave are now showing a couple of classic episodes tonight so at least I'll go to bed with a smile on my face.

Roll on tomorrow - surely it'll improve

6. steveedster

steveedster Third Technician

Looks = amazing! Never thought CGI backdrops could look so good, really!

Comedy, some good lines, not classic Dwarf , but I still laughed out loud several times.

Overall I am very very impressed with the production qualities of this new episode...

I cant wait for no's 2 and 3.

:-D

7. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

Fan-smegging-tastic. Sure, it was short, but it's a 3 parter, so don't judge it yet! Personally, I thought it was brilliant, just hoping the fact that Rimmer is a hologram and Red Dwarf is smaller again is resolved...

8. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Personally, I was disappointed.

Not with the episode itself - it felt a lot like seasons 1 and 2, and those episodes were some of the show's best.

The problem is, it's not a sitcom anymore. What I just watched on Dave was a film. A film that should have been shown in one 90 minute piece, rather than being spread over 3 nights as it is.

View it as a film and it makes a lot more sense - the first 20 minutes (tonight's episode) set the scene and introduce the characters, the middle half progresses the story and presents a conflict/twist, and the final part should be a neat conclusion. The abrupt cut to the advert break and at the end felt wrong too. Obviously, because it's a film cut into 3 parts.

And to make it clear, I did really like it - but it felt like watching the first 20 minutes of...say, The Dark Knight, then being forced to wait another day to watch the rest.

Anyway, yeah.

9. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

I really enjoyed it. The problem is that it's clearly a TV movie snipped in three - whether that makes the problem in the way it's being broadcast (as three standalone episodes) or in the way it was written (episode 1 should stand on its own, but it kind of doesn't) I'm not sure.

I worry this may affect ratings. But I worry a lot in general.

As I said. Overall, I loved it, but I also understood that I was watching 1/3 of a film.

10. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

Looked Brilliant! NEW DWARF and I mean NEW! Modern comedy is different no laugh track this is Dwarf 2009 and it was SMEGGING GREAT!
    It looks unbelievable! The budget was apparently the same for series V!

11. frog_girl

frog_girl Third Technician

I thought it was absolutely fantastic!! :-)

An excellent follow-on from Series 6 (what?? There have been no episodes since then, or at least not in my world) :-)

Skutters. Lister pining after Kochanski. Rimmer still being a total goit. Cat's frankly ASTOUNDING purple outfit.

Aw man, think I am in love :-) Plus, my 12 year old crush on Lister just re-emerged. Heh :-)

Am beyond excited - want to go give Doug Naylor and the cast a big excited hug! :-D

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It was all over too soon! Waiting for episode 2 is going to be agony.

What I liked:

• The show looked very expensive. I would never have guessed the budget for these specials was so low.
    • The skutter. I never expected to see one of these in the specials, though the CGI was slightly dodgy. As with the ship, there's no replacement for the non-CGI original.
    • The rest of the CGI was really impressive.
    • All of the main four slipped back into their roles well, especially Charles, who I thought was really good.
    • Sophie Winkleman played her part well. What kind of accent is that? She sounded just like that woman from Holoship.
    • The grave scene. A nice, touching sequence.

Overall, I thought it was great. It looked wonderful and had some good comedy. Nothing really laugh-out-loud, but plenty of small laughs. It was very cinematic I thought; this is how I'd expect the Red Dwarf movie would look. It's difficult to say where it places in my list of all-time favourite Red Dwarf episodes, but I think it'll be in my top 30 at least. It'll be interesting to see if my opinion changes over the years, just as it did for series 7 and 8.

13. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

From a chat room I am currently lurking in, seems a clear 50/50 split is forming here...

One half that love it, and one half that really hate this thing. Marmite syndrome or what?

I for one love this thing to bits, but just been talking to a few people who are refusing to watch it tomorrow....so very worried.

I hope the ratings come out okay.

14. Blayze

Blayze Skutter

Oh look, another female character vastly superior to the male protagonists. Take note how the instant the last one died off, there was another waiting in the wings to take over her role. If this one cacks it, who will replace her? Mary Sue herself?

That said, it's a good episode. The humour's still there and I laugh at those who claim the use of advanced graphical technology somehow ruins it -- everyone owes their lives to advances in medical technology, just to put it into perspective.

15. doggett

doggett Second Technician

Is this site slow or something...
    I think 2/3rds of people hate it.
    I loved it, it's just a little different. Like Ashes to Ashes compared to Life On Mars.

When will we know the viewing figures ?

16. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

I enjoyed it, not classic RD but enjoyable nontheless. Looked absolutely stunning and the cast slipped into their roles like they've never been away. A very moving scene which brought me close to tears save for the Cat. Cant wait for tomorrow.

At the gravestone, was that a pic of Mel Bibby with Kochankski? if so great tribute.

17. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

AWESOME TRUELY TRUELY AWESOME!!!

its got to attract new viewers as well as old, im sure lots of people are forgetting its 21 years old! its gotta get a new generation too, so it cant be just OLD dwarf, and the job everyone did was totally totally brilliant!

i love it and on third time of watching im still laughing!!

i was very emotional at beginning and i had nothing to do with it apart from wait 10 years! i can imagine half the people who were heavily envolved gettin very very emotional!

absaloutly smeggin fantastic!

ROLL ON TOMORROW

and roll on series 10!!!

18. albarst

albarst Skutter

Ill just leave it short , Its been taken into 2009 and it worked for me , missing Holly though , really enjoyed it and had a smile all the way through , i wait with anticipation for the next 2.

19. corbane1

corbane1 Skutter

The episode was great, how/if do you think they'll explain, how the ship returned to the old one (not series 8) is it the rimmer from series 8 or from before? and how did kochanski die

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It has been since about 8pm because of all the visitors. It's even gone offline once or twice.