Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Awooga

Awooga Third Technician

It wasn't perfect but I loved it. Felt a bit disappointed at the time but thinking back on it, it was not bad at all. Kryten was spot on, Cat was great and Lister was OK. I thought the tux looked a bit out of place though. Rimmer was a little off imo though. It has been a while so I don't expect them to click back in immediately and I'm sure it'll pick up.

My biggest problem with it by a long long way was the CGI. Was it just me that found it so horribly awful to look at? Especially the scutter and the squid fight scene - I don't consider myself one of those people that notices the tiny little details but it looked very obvious to me that the tentacles were entirely smooth with a "sucker" texture. I realise the budget is an issue but I'd prefer no CGI and a plain set to poor CGI.

The new ship itself was OK but too shiny and clean. The old dirty/dull/gritty ship fitted much better with the theme of a space bum out in deep space on a 3 million year old ship.

Overall, still fab and can't wait for tomorrow.

2. LibbyR81

LibbyR81 Skutter

I am so distressed right now, my Friday night and quite frankly my whole Easter weekend has been ruined! My boyfriend and I are both devoted and long term, loyal Red Dwarf fans. We planned our whole evening around the new episode and like many of you were excited at the prospect of the 9th series. What happened!? It was awful! No laughter track...........probably as there were no jokes to laugh at. Where is the old school set? Where are the Rimmer rants and quality analogies that we all love? What on earth was Rimmer wearing? The whole thing was a total disaster. Here's hoping that the next two episodes pick up and also have some bearing on what happened at the end of series 8 or has that just been forgotten about? I may just have to pretend that the whole thing never happened, but it will be a difficult nightmare to forget!

3. Marvin

Marvin Skutter

I didn't get my hopes up too high as I'm easily dissapointed.

I was impressed enough by it and I did laugh out loud quite a few times.

Call me dumb (and I expect a few of you will) but I didn't get the 'Bit Crap' joke.

I must be going deaf in my old age, I couldn't understand her accent. Maybe I just missed a key word.

I just kept saying to myself all the way through. 'These guys have been stuck up there for nine years, they're bound to be different'. Then it worked for me.

Robert was fantastic as usual.

Roll on tomorrow night. :-D

4. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Sounds Russian, so does her name. I liked her "staring you in you stupid fat ferrety face" line

5. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I have to admit when it came on, and during the tribute part, I had a slight lump in my throat, purely cause as you say, it's been a long road getting here.

And I quote this post for epic truth. These episodes are awesome.

6. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

I think the biggest issue is people not being able to move with the times. Television has changed a LOT in the last 10 years, and it's fairly obvious making this three part special in a 90's style would have killed any chance of it coming back full time.

This is part one of three, therefore it is evidently the plot builder of the three, and the action and dialouge will improve in scale over Saturday/Sunday. I think come Sunday night we'll all be rather pleased with the outcome and will be wanting more.

It's just a case of not being 'stubborn' and not move with the times. Having an audience would've made the plot fly onto the net within minutes of filming, and it would've made 99% of the episode unfilmable. Any greenscreen work would've baffled audiences and left them confused and not laughing anyway. And even doind it VII style and screening it would've leaked plot.

Give it chance people, instead of slating what is practically a 3rd of an episode. It's like pausing the DVD ten minutes into Back to Reality and expecting it all to make sense...

7. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

Love all the first time posters registering to the site to slate it. Why do i get the impression it's the same person (Norman maybe!?)
    I thought it was a good start and so do a lot of other red dwarf fans.

8. scottishsuzee

scottishsuzee Third Technician

:-D:-D Well while enjoying classic dwarf on channel 'Dave Lister' :lol: i thought i'd pop on and give me verdict.

I Loved it, yeah it isn't the old dwarf we all got used to but they had to take it into the noughties and some of the SFX are brilliant. They also have to try and attract new fans so they can't do too much story from the last series. There wasn't as much laughs as expected but some bits were great like Lister sieving his sneezes, Rimmers dancing or cats outfit!
    All the reviews have said that Part 1 is the weakest (including Robert Llewellyn on Twitter) and the next 2 just get better when they get onto earth. So if they do i canna wait for tomorrow's episode. Also on Twitter Bobby said that everything comes together in the next 2 also like where did the other hologram come from.
    But i'm a happy wee dwarfer and i'm happy just to see the boys back on the box, but i agree with a few peps on here it should of been done in a 1 off, hopefully on monday night we'll get it like that....and get rid of the adverts...Grrrrrr!!!!!

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

9. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

If we had RC Skutters and Norman, it'd be perfect.

As it stands, I still love it. I can't wait for tomorrow!

10. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

littlesmegger is awesome. Bravo!

11. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

It was good but not great, although as it is only the first part of the story I'll wait untill I've seen all 3 to give it a proper review.

Some nice touches (Cat saying "Give me 3 minutes" and holding up 4 fingers!)

Looks - undecided at the moment I know the look of the ship and the interiors always seem to change over the series (maybe the skutters get bored between series and re-decorate the ship!)

Very intriguing to see how its gonna play out something definitely a bit strange about Katerinas appearance, Hollys offline so who or what booted her up and she was very evasive when Rimmer asked her about the hologram situation!

Overall it was great to see Dwarf back on TV and I cannot wait to see the rest of it now!

12. Holly_Hilly

Holly_Hilly Third Technician

Thought it was absolutely fantastic. Although there were some pretty abrupt edits and the cliffhanger came a bit unexpectedly.

Can't wait until tomorrow though. The Lister reading to Kochanski scene was so moving and shows that there has definetly been a 9 year gap, the characters are more mature and have clearly been through a lot off-screen.

Well done to all involved!

13. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

the jokes weren't too bad, but the CGI skutter was annoying. I think the main reason I didn't receive it favourably was due to them just skimming over problems. I.E Two holograms, not to mention that she was Hard Light, Red Dwarf doesn't have that technology.

Or the fact they totally ignored the explanation of how they solved the virus at the end of season 8, how they restored Red Dwarf, how Kochanski died and how Rimmer became a hard light Hologram again. Or how mrs Slarty whatsher name just appeared out of nowhere. Hardly believable a dead crew member can activate their own hologram.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i hope viewing figures stay high for this

15. Jo TORDFC

Jo TORDFC Second Officer Fan Club Team

Seriously?!?! You really need to get out more.

16. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

*Bows* I just felt something needed saying to remind people that it's not just the crew that've matured over 9 years, it's television in general. :lol:

17. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Third Technician

To Ganymede & Titan, Yes Sir I've Been Around !
    I thought it was excellent, it's just moving with the times, I am away to dig up some dirt on those people slagging it off.............." Engage innocent whistle mode " !!!!!

18. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Been struggling to get on here,Kept saying service is unavailable, no doubt due to the amount of people on at the moment ..

Ok well all in all I think the Specials have got off to a slow but reasonable start, It seemed really short although that might be because the adverts kicked in less than 5 mins into viewng::x:

Personally I thought it was good even though the editing looked abit rushed, My sides weren't splitting with near constant laughter but their were more than a few lines that raised a snigger or two.

I was hoping they would tie up what happened at the end of the last series especially in regard's to Rimmer being a hologram again but I guess their wasn't much need to go over old ground.

The cast seemingly slipped back into Character with ease although which Rimmer Chris is playing we still don't know.
    The CGI was a plus and looked great when you consider the budget.

Cant wait for tomorrow when thing's really get going:-D

19. kryten_2x4b

kryten_2x4b Skutter

well, what can i say. dont like the cgi scutter, to clean and fast.

on the whole i enjoyed it. cant wait for parts 2 & 3

20. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

maybe they'll ignore the events inbetween Only The Good and this episode and fill it in on the DVD when it's released in some way, perhaps as a bonus feature such as an bonus comic or something..