Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

To be honest, some things are annoying me now;

Omg they didn't resolve the cliff-hanger!!11

- Yeah, they acknowledged the fact it's 9 years later, the crew and Kochanski had all died on screen. Frankly that's more than what you got in Series III, and a lot better than what they did in Series VII. This is not a new thing to Red Dwarf. I hate people saying this, it's so stupid. It's left open for you to speculate or just ignore. It's not ruined it.

OMG HARD LIGHT.

Yeah, the crew picked up a Hard Light bee from Leigon. They kept it. They probably reverse engineered it. It's such a petty argument that is easily justifable anyway.

OMG TWO HOLOGRAMS

.....It's clear to me that it's not been skimmed over as per Rimmer's dialogue and so will be revealed in the coming episodes. Frankly I think she's the squid and not a hologram anyway. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

OMG GUEST FEMALE STAR

See: Parallel Universe, Camielle, Holoship, Psyrens, etc. etc. for presidence on this. It's not new or unusual for the show to have guest female stars generally smarter than the males, cause, well, the male guest stars are too.

OMG LAUGH TRACK

.....I dunno, but, it really does not break or make a show. It'd better without it anyway, I watched it thinking, if this had a laugh track it'd have sailed right down the river of "low-brow" for no real justifyable reason other than it had a laugh track. No laughter gave it not only a film look but it makes you think, it's clever comedy.

OMG IT JUST ISNT FUNNY

I thought most of it was. But if they spent the whole episode wrapping up Series VIII, trying to explain how they got hard light and two holograms to work, explaining the shape of the ship and sets, and then setting up the episode, it'd have been far worse.

Summary;

- Set change
    - Guest stars
    - Change of style
    - Loose wrapping of cliffhangers

All = Red Dwarf staples that have all been done before. Clearly Red Dwarf is the wrong show for many.

2. k3y4n84

k3y4n84 Skutter

i've just watched part one of BTE and i thought it was crap. Where's Holly? Where are all the rest of the Red Dwarf crew resurrected in series VII? Why is Kochanski dead? Why is Rimmer suddenly a hologram again? and more importantly where ar the jokes and the (Live not canned) audience laughter?
    The caption at the beginning states it's 9 months later, but at the end of series VIII Red Dwarf was destroted by a ship munching virus. The crew left on Starbugs and Blue midgets, Lister, Kochanski, Kryton and the Cat when over to the paralell universe and Rimmer presumably when do with the ship, so at what point is it 9 months later?

3. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

One thing I noticed while watching it. One of Kryten's lines had been edited from the 5 minute preview given out on Wednesday! On the original preview, when Rimmer said 'there's a sea monster in the water tank' Kryten replied 'oh my god!' and to be honest I always thought it was uncomfortable to hear Kryten say that, but in the final clip, they taped over that line with a much better 'Oh my gosh!'

A good choice ;-)

4. chuunch

chuunch Skutter

Guys this may be a long one so bare with me, lol

At this moment in time ive watched episode one of back to earth twice and here are my thoughts. First and foremost ill just say, i enjoyed it, i had prepared for a more dramatic take on Red Dwarf and to be honest the lack of studio audience didn't bother me whatsoever. Below are the things i liked and disliked about tonights show, ill try and keep everything to concise bullet points.

COMEDY
    1. It was funny but not as funny as i expected. I felt the second half had a much higher gag rate, especially Rimmers interactions with Katerina.
    2. Is it just me or was Kryten kinda annoying? He wasnt given much to do and his introduction was over the top and badly timed. It reminded me of series 8 Kryten, hopefully he will have better gags in the next episode and show a more subtle intelligent side.
    3.Rimmer was fantastic!!! to me he had all the best gags(The dance,rant about cars,fish paste, "bigger than god" line)
    4.Cat was actually better than he has been for a while(wasted in series 8 IMO). Liked his way of explaining the leviathan and his argument with Lister was very series one.
    5. Listers Tomato gag wasnt the greatest way to establish his relationship with Rimmer but it was ok.

PRESENTATION
    1. CGI was fantastic,good to see RED DWARF back to a more original shape. The observation room/ grave site was a well done homage to series 2. Skutters looked real but didnt move as well as they should have.
    2. The moment i saw the set pictures on this very site i was impressed, love the mix of old and new and it was clever, considering the budget, to use aspects of the bunk room as and elevator.
    3.I feel the opening credits were a bit disappointing, seemed a bit cheap. Nice to see the old series one and two style font used tho. End credits were perfect.
    4. Damn DAVE and its commercial breaks. They were poorly executed and the ending was slightly abrupt. At 23 minutes, this episode had a lot to set up, to a degree it succeeded but i think it will be best viewed as a whole on Monday night.

STORY
    One thing i had mentioned a few weeks ago on this site is i have always wanted some sort of conclusion to series 8 but to be honest after watching Back to Earth part one i dont really mind Red Dwarf skipping a few plot details(Were kinda used to it, lol). I never liked the way series 8 ended, like most of the series it was silly, i much prefered the original conclusion on the deleted scenes, far more Dwarf like. During the course of this 3 parter i think we will find out more about Kochanski's death and Rimmers Death/ resurection.
    This whole episode was one big introduction, we still have the real meat to get into in part 2. Doug Naylor done a great job considering he only had 23 mins to reintroduce the characters, cover kochanski's departure and set up the premise. Speaking of Kochanski, craig charles showed a great emotional side that hasnt been present since series 7. I love Katerina, a very welcome character to the show. Its clear that not all is what it seems with her.

CONCLUSION
    I really could write forever, the reason i decided to do this is because at the moment im a little disheartened. The moment part one finished i received texts from my friends who mostly said they hated it, one even said it was F...ing dire. Judging by the number of posts a lot of people felt the same.
    I liked it, it was smart, stylish and im willing to accept its moved on and modernised. I felt it was a little rushed, some of the gags didnt work and the pacing could have been better, however when viewed as a full 3 part movie i think we will be in for a treat. I really hope viewers dont give up after part one.

5. TriggerHappyCathal

TriggerHappyCathal Third Technician

Im not too upset that the laugh track is gone.
    Overall I loved this episode and can't wait for parts 2 and 3

6. EternusNex

EternusNex Third Technician

I like it so far, although i think the episode wasn't great.
    Rimmer talking to the guys in the diving bell bit reminded me too much of Back to Reality when the dispair squid appeared.
    I'm not going to judge the whole episode (all 3 parts) until i see them all
    Watching the repeat on Dave at the moment

7. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

Re watching it now, it IS funny and looks spectacular!

8. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

First of all I'm new here and have only just found this site so HELLO ALL! I'm so happy Red Dwarf is back on tv and was pleased with the first episode, it didnt have as many jokes as I thought it would and the CGI takes some getting used to as I loved the old style way of how they did it in the 90's but I guess times have moved on and to attract new fans Red Dwarf has to move on too... Kryten and Cat were spot on Lister took a couple of minutes to get used to and Rimmer (for me) was the weakest but I'm sure he will be better in episode 2 and 3... I really hope this leads on to another full series.. keep ya fingers crossed .

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I just watched it a second time and like it even more. There was so much I missed first time round. The episode is packed full of good lines and moments.

10. Kremlik

Kremlik Skutter

First off I'll start with the end: It's clear by the abrupt ending that the whole storyarc was filmed at movie length then hacked into three peaces to screen over the weekend - thus everything makes sence.

The whole ep was just waffle, yea the '9 years later' clears up the fact time HAS past for 'events' to happen that are losely wrote in assuming it had followed directly on from them all, bar Rimmer, traveled to the alturate version of Red Drawf, however it's yet to clear up what happened to the rest of the crew but it kinda explains why Rimmer is a hard light again, but that all only makes sence IF you have seen the orginal 'ending' - Newcommers be confused.

As for the 'two hardlights' issue, even Rimmer is questioning that.

As for the CGI/set/lighting - Either it was trying to be part of that 'old spirit' of RD or it was trying to modern it up but it felt like they couldn't make their mind up and that certally was annoying, but the rest of the 'ep' was ok but it wasn't funny sadly it was just informitive.

Like I said, as a standalone ep, it's poor, but seeing as it's actally a hour 10/20-ish full length movie hacked up - I'll perfer to see it fully before I'll grab my pickfork.

11. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. A ten year wait and I wasn't disappointed. I'm watching it for the third time as we speak. The production is incredible, the chemistry is still there - yes, the storyline needs to unfold, but that's what the other two episodes are for.

I love the set. It has a lonely, desolate feel to it - a feeling I'd associate with being alone in deep space. The absence of the laugh track only enhances this, and I wouldn't be heartbroken if they filmed any subsequent specials/series in this way.

Dwarf has evolved brilliantly. Congratulations to everyone at GNP - you've done the show proud. Roll on episode two.

12. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

I'm surprised at the amount of questions regarding Holly or laughter tracks or even the issue of two holograms etc.

Two of those three issues have been known for months, along with the lack of Kochanski appearing in the specials. And as for the idea of there being two holograms, perhaps if people wait just 24/48 hours, things will make more sense? Instead of presuming all the answers will be provided instantly within 10 minutes.

It's clearly evident that our new hologram is infact not part of the setup Holly sustains, and therefore explains why she was avoiding Rimmer's questioning. But I'm not going to over analyse online too much incase I unintentionally spoil things! :eek:ops:

13. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Loved it... it is only the first episode and so I do not see why there are so many negative comments... It is not 1996 any more, it's 2009 and like everything else, it has evolved, the characters are a little older... who cares, as long as the story is good. As for CGI and laughter track, the CGI looked nice, I have seen much worse, but I was happy that there was no laugh track. Either film in-front of a live audience or not, it's just horrible with laughter stuck on top. As for explanations, it's 9 years later... a lot would have happened, and so I guess another online comic (or two) like that of 'Prelude to Nanarchy' could be on it's way.

All the characters remained true to themselves and already we have classic lines from the cat, and scenes from Rimmer. Being a huge Red Dwarf fan, I was hoping that this would not be crap... and so far it isn't. Well done guys, keep Red Dwarf coming, it's one of the few shows that evolves with the same actors getting older, thus being able to watch their lives unfold. This makes it quite a unique show, others such as Friends have not even lasted as long.

14. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

watching it for the second time and im enjoying it alot more, you know what all you haters...

RED DWARF IS BACK AND KICKING BUM!!!!!

15. nighowe

nighowe Skutter

hello,
    I registered just to post here. Right do i remember correctly that one of the sites we've been on over the past while (where Rimmer leaves a message, and we see the Kryten video where we register for our codes for the spacecorpsdirective98247.co.uk site) was oiriginally a site by some proffessor/doctor/ bigger geek than me was experimenting with hologramatic technology??? somebody tell me if this may tie in with the new hologram???? also what is the device she is carrying throughout most of her scenes with the two balls coming out of the end of it?

16. nighowe

nighowe Skutter

hello,
    I registered just to post here. Right do i remember correctly that one of the sites we've been on over the past while (where Rimmer leaves a message, and we see the Kryten video where we register for our codes for the spacecorpsdirective98247.co.uk site) was oiriginally a site by some proffessor/doctor/ bigger geek than me was experimenting with hologramatic technology??? somebody tell me if this may tie in with the new hologram???? also what is the device she is carrying throughout most of her scenes with the two balls coming out of the end of it?

17. fireyedd

fireyedd Skutter

i watched it on dave but want to know if anyone has a link to watch it online as the ninjavideo. net link has stopped working, i know some people hate online piracy etc. but me doing so wont effect ratingsand i will buy the DVD so why not?

18. MrFlibble42

MrFlibble42 Skutter

Alot of the things that I've seen people complaining about are actually explained in the episode. Well sort of. Hollys absence is explained and as for the two holograms thing, well the answer is almost staring them in their stupid fat ferrety faces :-)

19. TriggerHappyCathal

TriggerHappyCathal Third Technician

I hope Back To Earth will be on Blu Ray....... does anyone know if it will be?

20. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

for all the nitpickers, isnt a loveable feature about RD the great amount of plot inconsistanties (i think thats how you spell it) or are you still waiting to see how Lister can have his appendix removed twice?