Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

Yes it is, on Dave's live chat page the article says it will be released on DvD and Blu Ray :-D

2. scottishsuzee

scottishsuzee Third Technician

Well i have just watched it for a second time and i enjoyed it much more than the first time. When Rimmer questions that the ship can only hold one hologram you kinda think......ooooohhh so who is she really and what is she after, not why is there 2 holograms.

Also loving the fact that on Dave it has been none stop Dwarf since 9pm, yeah ok its just repeating but i can watch them over and over again!!!

And these people who have come on the site and posted there first post just to say how much they hate it!!! EH!!!

3. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Well, I missed the first couple of minutes, which apparently was just a caption saying "Nine years later...". A shame they didn't conclude the cliffhanger of series 8, but then Red Dwarf wasn't always about continuity. After all, series 3 began with that Star Wars scroll, and that worked. I've since caught the first bit and liked the zoom in and the jokes about Kryten's holiday.

It's not fair to really judge a three-part episode after just the one part, but I'll have a go at it anyway.

First and foremost, I think it all looks stunning, including the CGI. Even the bits with the squid attacking the crew seemed fine, although it bordered on the sort of knockabout humour from series 7. But the cut to Rimmer listening to Ray Conniff helped make it that much less plastic-y. I think the HD release will make it even better.

The cast all look great too. The worst off, I thought at first, was Rimmer, not just because of his potentially receding hairline, but because of the new hardlight suit he was wearing, which looks like a set of pyjamas my grandad would wear. I much prefer his beefier hardlight costume from series 6 and 7, including the black trousers. The others all looked like they hadn't aged at all. Lister seemed just as Lister-y as ever, as did Cat, and while it was odd to see Kryten in a sombrero and Hawaiian shirt, his revert to form dispelled that image immediately. Sophie Winkleman seems to fit in well - she could make a good semi-recurring character if ever a full series was made.

The "no laughter" thing is a tough one for me. I did enjoy bits of it without the audience laughter, funnily enough, like the aforementioned Rimmer dance, but you could tell that bits of the episode needed it. From what I gather, they didn't use an audience because what with the internet, the entire episode would've been spoiled immediately. Fair enough, although they could've tried it with a "silence" contract, much like they did for the final episode of Seinfeld. It might not be guaranteed to work, but at least it's better than not trying.

Kochanski dead - a good idea, with no offence meant to either Clare Grogan or Chloe Annett, because the character could easily come back as a flashback or hologram or polymorph or something. It helps to re-establish the dream of Lister's to find his long-lost love, and his eternal loneliness as the last human, aside from a hologram, an evolved feline and a mechanoid.

No Holly - again, a difficult decision, one which Norman Lovett dislikes intensely, although Hattie Hayridge has said nothing on the subject. In series 5 and 6, Kryten took on much of Holly's role, so arguably it didn't matter, and in series 8, Holly only cropped up occasionally anyway, so a bit of a waste for the character. However, I can't shake the niggling feeling that if you were going to return to the series after 11 years with a near-full reunion, why not try making it a full one? After all, the Skutters appeared again. In fact, the only "full" reunion was in the Children in Need sketch between series 7 and 8. So a shame, but it didn't destroy the episode by any means.

Nor did the writing. Again, it would be nice to have Rob Grant back, who didn't want "Red Dwarf on his gravestone", hence his leaving after series 6. It's something some fans can pine for, but I'm content to have new Dwarf, and Doug Naylor does a sterling job, both as writer and director (yes, the purists would probably ask for Ed Bye to return, but I don't particularly mind).

So mixed feelings, but I'm leaning towards the positive, especially if we get a Red Dwarf IX or X out of it, and if parts 2 and 3 are better than the first one, as this website's review said. One thing I will say about that - I think it would've indeed benefited more from being an hour-long episode (not 90 minutes, unless you're counting advert breaks - each part is about 20 minutes). That way, no one part would suffer at the expense of another. Hopefully, if the BBC are willing, they will show it all in one go on BBC2 at some point.

Anyway, it's back isn't it?

The smeg it is!

4. Lilchef

Lilchef Skutter

I enjoyed the episode overall, I'd say I was about 75% happy with it. There were a few good laughs and I loved the Kochanski bit. The main drawbacks, imo, were:
    1) Not-so-great CGI. It was on a par with Series 7/8 which are ten years old, should have improved since then. It was actually distracting me from the show which was annoying. That and the strange lighting that actually made the 'real' set look un-real.
    2) Sophie Winkleman was a bit too good at the Russian accent, couldn't understand everything she said. I'm gong to have to watch it again before tomorrow to try and get all the plot.
    Those points aside I thought it was great and I'm looking forward to the next one!

5. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

on the whole..i loved it! it was amazing to see RD in the true CGI experience it always deserved and how rob and doug always pictured it... i thought the beginning was hilarious... i thought towards the end it got "less funny" as it got more plotty based.. but overall because i went in so pesimistic because of all the bad wrap the preview got.. i was pleasantly surprised. the only thing i didnt get...or maybe i missed it was why didnt any of the crew question why the 2nd hologram was suddenly generated..for example why queeg originally explained he had been activated because of holly causing danger to the crew..did she even explain what had prompted the activation of her? obviously holly isnt around to activate her? can someone fill me in.

6. TriggerHappyCathal

TriggerHappyCathal Third Technician

Tasty I'll be able to see Kryten's head in HD!!

7. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

on the whole..i loved it! it was amazing to see RD in the true CGI experience it always deserved and how rob and doug always pictured it... i thought the beginning was hilarious... i thought towards the end it got "less funny" as it got more plotty based.. but overall because i went in so pesimistic because of all the bad wrap the preview got.. i was pleasantly surprised. the only thing i didnt get...or maybe i missed it was why didnt any of the crew question why the 2nd hologram was suddenly generated..for example why queeg originally explained he had been activated because of holly causing danger to the crew..did she even explain what had prompted the activation of her? obviously holly isnt around to activate her? can someone fill me in.

8. ENVY16

ENVY16 Third Technician

Agreed! Also even more so of the fact that whenever Rimmer asked that she always quickly changed the subject. Very suspicious.

9. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

the more i watch it the more i fall in love with Katrina:eek:ops:

10. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

Aaaah that would be spoiling plot that's yet to be revealed properly I'm afraid. :lol:

11. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Nail. Head. Hammer.

This is exactly the problem. If these new specials are going to fail, it's because the average IQ of the populace in general has gone down since the 1990's, and people are too busy getting hung up on plot inconsistancies and stupid matters that aren't very important to what Red Dwarf is anyway.

To hell with the fact Red Dwarf didn't make sense or follow on from itself back then either? Or have we just forgot? People just seem too want to whine and rave about there being two holograms.

You know, it would have been easy for Doug not to have wrote two holograms, a bizzare plot twist, and ignored the ending. I've decided to applaude him for it. It works for me and, frankly, that's the spirit of Red Dwarf far more than stupid hard light technology or whatever else.

Being different, and being funny.

So many of these new registree's need to have a word with themselves.

12. will108

will108 Skutter

Hi, just watched it again, and i think its better second time around... Really glad to see it back, and a bit miffed to see so many people slagging it off, so i just wanted to make a few points...

1. At the start of most series they didn't explain how the previous scrape had been escaped from...
    2. The ship changed shapes/styles/number of floors etc various times during the 8 series, and i think that with a limited budget they did pretty well really. Anyone who wants to whinge about the CGI should go and watch the episode of heroes where they go to "russia"...
    3. Yeah, maybe the script wasn't up there with the best red dwarf, but lets face it, it was a damn sight better than 99% of the smeg on tv...

Sorry to bang on, but i've waited 9 years for more red dwarf, and reading people tear it to bits is nearly as upsetting as the bit with lister at KK's grave...

13. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

Hear hear! Especially when a lot of viewers probably only know Dwarf through it's repeats on Dave, rather than being devout DVD watchers, and rewatchers, and rerewatchers... you get the idea!

14. nighowe

nighowe Skutter

anybody? my previous comment/question about the scanning jupitor site where we got our codes for spacecorpsdirective site that site was supposedly by an inventor of somekinf experimenting with holograms so could that be something to do with miss winklemans character?

15. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Ditto.

It was just part of the artificial reality game I think, but who knows?

16. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

glad to know i wasnt the only one choked up by that... am i wrong or was that a picture of mel bibby at the memorial too? if it was thats an amazing touch by doug

17. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Well, for what it's worth, here's my tuppenceworth:

The look is truly amazing. Panning into the ship, long CGI corridors, the buzz and hum of background engines all looked great.The picture quality is way beyond that of Series VII

The ship looks much better than the CGI of yore, including the remastered series.

The scenes were funny, with good characterization

Mel Bibby's photo was a lovely touch. RIP

However

I am going to surprise myself by saying this: I truly miss the laugh track. I was defending the decision to remove it all the way through, but it did make it seem rather more "attempt at movie with adverts" than "sitcom" and I feel sitcom might havebeen the better way to go...

There was too much plot in too small a space. The 20 minute format was over far too quickly and this could easily have been 2 episodes - Squid and Katrina being two separate plots. There was very little breathing space for Wilma Flintstone style bunkroom jokes. It felt very brief indeed. Noticeably shorter than normal and a lot of plot came right out of nowhere.

It was very much a set-up episode, leaving many unasnwered questions. I'm sure that some of them (unanswered dliberately: Rimmer is clearly getting somewhere on the "Holly can only sustain one hologram questioning") will be answered later; but I think we should have a bit of an answer on the Hard-light Rimmer/Kochanski's death front earlier.

My points are nitpicky. The dialogue was great. And worth it juust for the "In my language we have several" line, which was such a beautiful piece of linguistic oneupmanship that it made everyone at my house burst out laughing.

Well done everyone for bringing it back. It's better than Waiting for God and Duct Soup already; so it's made an impact. Let's see if it can sustain it a bit longer!

18. TriggerHappyCathal

TriggerHappyCathal Third Technician

I have watched it at least five times due to the magical Sky+ and it gets better and better every time I see it.
    Maybe part 2 will involve them being around Corrie?

19. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

i think it was Mel, great touch for a man who done so much for something we all love

20. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

Just one word...............................smegging brilliant

Kryten:'it's my back it's gone into a stress knot'