Back to Earth: Episode One

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

It's better than Waiting for God already[/quote]

dunno about that

2. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Yeah it was deffo Mel Bibby.

I think I said it before but it was a class act. It really added to the scene too if you knew who he was, from a fans point of view. So well done.

3. billyballoch

billyballoch Third Technician

BRILLIANT

I thought the episode was fantastic, and the fact that it was short and a little uneventful only makes me more eager to see what happens in episode 2. I think it's great to see so many positive comments in this thread, i mean its NEW RED DWARF for god sake. Concerning the lack of explanation of the series 8 cliffhanger, it seems pretty clear to me that doug naylor wants to forget that era and just lay a foundation for a new generation of red dwarf

Great Job Grant Naylor Productions:-D

4. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

Just one word.......Smegging brilliant

Kryten:'it's my back....i've got a stress knot'

5. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

After watching it a second time I can't say enough how much I enjoyed it! Worth the wait!

6. darthstuey

darthstuey Skutter

What the hell has everyone been watching? I have watched the dwarf for twenty years now- hell from 91-95 I watched series 1-5 every night on loop at uni.

I felt series seven was below par but itr had its moments but I loved series eight.

This was terrible- what did you find to like? It was hollw; without humour and all the actors looked bored as hell. I am totally gutted- if you are saying you enjoyed this and have been watching Dwarf since 88 then why? I don't understand.
    Again-I'm gutted.

7. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Oh... and isn't Lister allergic to sprouts?

8. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Is that Stephen Hawking voicing the spirit level?

Love the hours of planning/8 seconds of pleasure/ having sex line!

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

He hates them, but I don't think it was ever mentioned that he's allergic to them.

10. JMC1701

JMC1701 Skutter

Admittedly I'm a hardcore Dwarf fan, but I really liked Part 1. RD without a doubt always suffers without the scenes filmed in front of a live audience; the laughter track I didn't miss particularly. But has anyone watched the Series 7 DVD episodes without a laughter track? That definitely prepares you for the style of Back to Earth.

Despite the lack of studio audience and laughter, however, I still found myself laughing regularly at some great character moments (particularly 'bit crap' and Rimmer's dancing). And doesn't it look wonderful given the low budget? Yes CG sets never feel terribly real and tangible, but it nontheless really opens up the scale of the ship. You have to give Doug Naylor kudos for ambitiously attempting to craft Red Dwarf: The Movie on a smallish TV budget. The acting was fine; they were their old selves, with Lister's (albeit painfully abbreviated) grieving scene for Kochanski genuinely affecting. My main criticisms, aside from the absence of the studio audience, were that it seemed to move a bit too fast, and it was far too short - as a single feature-length (ish) story it will no doubt work better.

I think great work guys and looking forward to the next 2 parts, so job done.

11. prendie

prendie Skutter

iv been a big fan for years and the biggest shock was the lack of canned laughter. i found it funny but i will agree with the most of you, it was no where near as funny as it used to bee across all 8 series.
    the scutters why make them CGI it worked over the rest of the years why not use them now the robots must be in storage somewhere. Series 8 used cgi but we grew to love it but the fact the majority of the set (including most of it which we have never seen before)was cgi which took the look away it doesnt also help that it is HD. HD is good but its not we're used to as Red Dwarf.
    P.S. New character,Insinerate her light beam in a fusion!:evil:

12. Gouldberg

Gouldberg Skutter

Since i'm just a teenage lad i have to say that it is great to have Red Dwarf back with new episodes. I was about 8 when the last episode came out, and i was already watching it by then, so the huge break between now and then has been at times agonising. For a teenager, the new episode is full of the types of classic little comments and remarks we make with friends nowadays, so it is a perfect episode for my style of humour.

I can fully understand why certain people don't like it, and let me explain it to you now. The last episode before tonights came out 9(or 10, cant be sure) years ago, and now another episode is finally out many people unfortunately are expecting it to be set exactly as before, the day after the ship went bang. It's been 9 years for pity's sake! Thing have obviously changed. The cast have aged so the writers have to take that into account (i am guessing they wern't frozen this time, as lister didnt have 4 foot long nails!)

Now, back to tonights episode. As i said, it is great for a teenager, suits our humour down to the ground (well, mine anyway) and although it wasnt packed full of jokes like a normal episode it is as many said just a 3rd of the general picture given tonight. When you see a movie, or read a book, it sets the time, context, characters etc first, and since so many years have passed and since it's inevitable people will be watching for the first time, they needed to really focus on things.

It's a huge shame to see KK has passed on, as i did have a huge crush on her for many years lol, but all in all i enjoyed the episode and look forward to episodes 2 and 3.

Once again people, please remember it's now 2009, not 1999, times have changed, and Red Dwarf is moving with the times. It's a show i would love to see back full time, ideas for the next series people? lol

Apologies for the rather huge first post lol but hopefully it makes sence :-) Tonight ep:7/10 (sets things up nicely, well done!)

13. scottishsuzee

scottishsuzee Third Technician

Sorry were we watching the same thing? As i said before it didn't have as much laughs as expected but it has a lot of plot and the more you watch it the more you go...ahhhhhh.
    I'm Sure Craig Charles said in a video on dave not to expect anything like the 90's Dwarf as they are all older and the show will also have a serious side. I ain't been a fan since the beginning but started watching it since series 2 and i really enjoyed the new one and i think i may have to go watch it again...Only about 20 hours till the next episode. LOL

PS thanks to whoever said about cat holding up 4 fingers when he said 3 i missed that first time around.

14. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

"Rimmer, you know damn well, sprouts make me chuck"

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That doesn't mean he's allergic to them, though. Just that he hates the taste so much they make him throw up. Green beans have a similar effect on me.

16. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

Waht is wrong with you people? Good god talk about ungrateful! What did you expect? It's like starting over again. Give them a chance! Can you not see the potential here? It's as good as some of the first episodes and I'm not even an ardent RD fan. I liked it a lot. The screen lit up when the cat and the new character were on. No, it's not perfect, but at least wait until you have seen the acts II and III. It was never going to be up there with the best episodes ever was it? The first episode ever was hardly side splitting either, but it developed into something a lot better. Look at it this way and you can see it has the grounding for a great series to follow. THIS WAS NOT A REGULAR SERIES EPISODE! It's more a "test" and I think you guys are incredibly short-sighted. Get behind this people, we've waited long enough for this day. It was great to see the lads back together after such a long time.

More please!

17. KugarWeb

KugarWeb Skutter

Okay, I just wanted to put my opinion up here. I've been watching and reading ALL comments on the show since well...I don't remember! It was earlier on today anyway and to be honest, I'm amazed how many people are angry at how "poor" the new Red Dwarf seems to be. Things change, fact of life. If we were all stuck back in 1999 when the old RD finished, we'd probably all still be on dial-up and wouldn't even be able to access this forum for love nor money!

Anyway, getting back on topic with the episode itself. I must admit I was slightly nervous when there was a slow start to the episode but seeing the older episodes compared with it, obviously shows that RD has grown-up a lot more in the 10 year break, with Doug Naylor working his directing magic and giving RD the great film-look which should have been seen in the cinema but it just wasn't to be. However, I think Doug has more than made up for this with the great looks shown in this episode - note...THIS episode.

This is only part one remember and I'm sure if Doug had his way, he would have wanted to have all three parts shown in one go, but obviously Dave have got to make back their money spent on this production and so rightly deserve to chuck a few adverts at us.

This definately reminds me of when Doug "complained" about Back In The Red from Series 8 being cut into three parts, something which he begged BBC to reconsider but due to the restrictions of the schedule, it just wasn't possible - and this goes the same for the new RD - I mean, would you really want to see everything all in one go? These breaks give us all time to reflect on what actually happened in the last 20 minutes!

Okay, I'm going to try and comment on some of the stupid things people have been saying on this forum.

Two Holograms?! - As Rimmer plainly pointed out, he was just as confused as we all were about how there could be two holograms. I'm sure this will be resolved in the later episodes!

No Holly - To be honest, this was an earlier-series moment, something which seems to now slow down the pace and to be honest, ever since Holly left in Series 5, I think it's been good. Yes, Holly moments were good, but I think after a few series of him/her and especially with the long break from Series 6 without there being a Holly, it was good and meant that the rest of the characters could gain more of the limelight and overall we learnt more about their moods and overall character.

"Plot Holes" - Well, Red Dwarf is full of them and this is what is part of the charm of the show. If you got filled in about every detail...well, you'd have no imagination! What I like to see in a television programme or film or any other type of media is something which constantly keeps me guessing, not hand the whole plot to me on a plate. RD also has great twists which change at every moment. Take the whole "rebuilding Lister" from Series 7, where the story then moved onto the RD ship being rebuilt and as a result creating a brand new series!

Phew! Well hopefully that's covered everything. My overall impression of tonight's episode was that it was truly staggering and as a Digital Art University student, I can fully appreciate how hard Special FX is, especially to have a quality feel to it. I did think the squid was a little bit "rushed" although given the budget and the short timescale (Doug Naylor started writing the script on 17th November last year!!!), it's simply amazing how they've managed to give the show a completely new, cleaner look worthy of the big screen.

Here's to tomorrow night's episode! Can't wait! :-D

P.S. I thought the tribute to both Mel Bibby and the Kochanski character was very touching and a real tribute to the hard work that has and hopefully will go into future episodes of this fantastic series!

18. Kremlik

Kremlik Skutter

second time around is better I'm looking this time not actally paying attention to the main plot - it's the little things like Bob flipping Rimmer and the 'Hawking' scanner that make the ep funny.

As said it's still a hacked off chunk of a 'movie', it'll make sence on Sunday.. well the Red Dwarf version of sence either way, hoping this is a launchpad to the rest of series 9

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

ok one stupid question.. when the squid thing came up into the diving bell and grabbed the crew, how comes tons of water didn't rush in? did it materialise into the bell?

Also watching again the bit where Rimmer is asking why there are 2 holograms on board, I have this feeling that Doug Naylor has an incredible plot twist around the corner.... I hope I'm right.

20. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

First episode, smegging genius. But i don't know whether removing the laugh track was a good thing or a huge mistake, does anyone else think the same. But still very impressed, ive been waiting years for this now ive just got to find some way of passing the next 20 hours, watching series 1-8 might maybe.