Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. chaffinch

chaffinch Third Technician

Red Dwarf episodes have constantly parodied/sent up pre-existing stories/events/genres, i.e. Alien, Kennedy assasination, Titanic, Spagetti Westerns, Cain and Able, Jane Austen, Film Noir, Beadles About, etc. It's something Dwarf has done really succesfully throughout its incarnations

2. Justletmeon

Justletmeon Third Technician

So ok, episode three is now done and dusted.

Definitely funnier, raised a good smirk or two, and thank god didnt end with the fourth wall crumbled into nothingness. And it would definitely run better as one long episode.

I stand by my initial concerns however. And by the end of this part it became very obvious what was happening here. I don;t know exactly why but Naylor has basically rinsed the series for gags and plot lines to re-use.

So they didn;t have the budget to do it in frotn on an audience, fair enough. But something tells me that naylor would have preferred to do it this way anyway. He's still thinking about the film, new fancy cameras and all that.

If this is the future of Red Dwarf then you can keep it and it should probably end here before it embarasses itself, and it's audience even more than it has with this episode.

If however this is just a test run to try to get people interested again, then for me personally it's failed, but a lot of people have enjoyed it. If the plan next time round with more money is to get back to it';s sitcom roots and rememeber that pathos and comedy work together, not at the xpense of each other, then by all means let;s have more.

But Naylor PLEASE, get somebody to help you. This was the weakest lot by far.

3. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I don't get it, Rob left Red Dwarf to work on other things, which he has, and Grant/Naylor are still buds...Why don't they work together and make the fans happy? I want to know whats the circumstances?

4. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

Had the feeling of a quickly thrown together special...It was, they did a brilliant job with what time they had in my opinion.
    Not worthy of being dubbed a genuine episode or episodes...It wasn't it was a special, they had to do this to get the viewings which there sure to get now for a new series. I understand where your coming from but with just 100ft of rope they reached out over 150ft. A new series with more time would definatley be more like we remember it, just think its abit harsh to put it down so severe when they had so little to work with and did so well.

5. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Even though I've criticised BTE I will admit that there were fleeting glimpses of the old writing magic in the last episode. I think the last few minutes were pretty good but it was all so loosely hung together it really didn't seem to work beyond a simple nod to the old Dwarf in the hope that the fans would just give it the benifit of the doubt.

I know that many genuinely liked it though, so lets hope that's enough for them to get the finance and the writing partnership things sorted out in time to make another decent series before its too late. But next time guys, don't put yourselves in hock to a bunch of PR and merchandising pundits.

6. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

It wasn't a parody of JFK the movie, it was a solution to the "mystery".

You're arguing semantics.

7. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

Watching a lot of interviews with people, they all seemed to stress the low budget. Doug even mentioned that they didnt get time for a proper read through. I think that showed through in a few places. However if this leads on to more more RD but with a better budget and assumedly with more money comes more time, then I'm all for it.

Given that was a 14 day film shoot, it wasnt bad at all. Sophie Winkleman did a marvelous job too.

Now on to series 9, or 10, or whatever they name it.

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I hope that tea didn't ruin anything!

Yeah pretty much agree, I thought it wa really funny but the plot was a bit bad.

I think it could've worked if they still thought they were tv characters but not have it being a dead ringer for our reality. So the DVDs are not of Red Dwarf but a show called "The Adventures of Dave Lister - Space Adventurer" There is an actor who plays Lister but he's not Craig Charles, he's fictional too and he works on a soap but it's a parody of Coronation Street not the real show. Hence it's a parody of real life and all the same jokes work without making the thing seem like a children in need sketch.

9. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Hmmm yes i think it does, in original series' it seemed that quite alot of enteresting things come up in rehearsels and read-throughs that get incorparated into the writting? Maybe it's why some jokes fell abit short...?

10. Mozoishere

I just think if a jobs worth doing its worth doing well or not at all. Why spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar. (Other cliches are also available).

I don't think this is going to get them another series with a proper budget. If it gets them anything at all it'll be another series with a similar budget, because they "did it last time for two bob and a bus ticket so why not this time?".

If that's the way its going to go they can keep it. I'd rather see wobbly sets made of cardboard than dodgy CGI any day. I'd love to see another series of proper Dwarf but if they go down this road again it'll be without this Dwarfer I'm afraid.

11. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

Oh, 1 other thing. There is no way that a 23 minute episode works. In the past it was noted how they struggled to get it all in in 30 minutes on the bbc, 30 minutes with adverts just didnt work at all well in my opinion.

An hour long show, giving around 45 minutes of TV time with space for the adverts. Every time I just got in to it, it ended.

Great to see it back though, huge thanks to all involved, especially the guy who did the scutter CGI work for a signed copy of the script.

12. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

Hmmm dont think my last post came through...so shall re-type it ;-)

Over all this third part was a lot better than part 2, and did manage to make me smile.
    But it still did not manage to drag the three parter past the hole it had fallen into during part 2.

The writing was still lazy, the plot was even more obvious than I had thought they might of dared using...As soon as they introduced the squid it was kinda obvious what was going to happen (more so with the clues they had dropped),but the ever present "Blade Runner" theme meant that there was nothing suprising about it.

Issues:
    -A "joy squid"...ok then how come I saw a suprisingly little amount of joy?
    They were expecting to "die", not overly happy.
    -REally bad editing (was constantly bad through out the three parts), added to the rushed and poorly made feel of the program.
    -Little dialogue. I wanted more banter and lines between the cast as it was there were few funny lines or lines worth remembering :-(
    ---

The acting was a lot better though and a lot more mature! :-)
    Overall I would give the entire episode a 6/10.

13. PCz911

PCz911 Third Technician

View from the states:

Seems like the comments on this site are a wee bit on the harsh side.

Come on folks, its a new RED DWARF. Fer' cryin' out loud.. it's been a decade and you're all complaining about some Rimmer-esque issue. Wake up and smell the coffee. It's wonderful it's back on. Full stop. Take some time and smell the roses.

Here's to a new series.

PCz

14. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

True, but maybe Dave wanted to test the water before throwing money at them, especially in the current financial climate. Maybe it was a choice between a low budget and no budget. Remember that the film was close to being made a few times before funding fell through. Maybe this time they took the safe option and did what they could.

I really do see this as a test. Looking at an article I saw, it got over 900 thousand viewers, which I belive for Dave is very high indeed. Maybe with those ratings, and some good DVD sales the money will be there to do a whole series, with time for the read throughs.

It wasnt the best dwarf ever, but it certainly wasnt anywhere near as bad as people are making out. I personally found the "4th wall" stuff quite entertaining. A little laugh at themslves, and a few people from these boards. Not specific people, but types of person. The TV salesman and the psi-scan thing was brilliant.

Maybe I just wasnt expecting as much as everyone else.

15. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

16. prustyofsmeg

prustyofsmeg Skutter

I have to be honest, I did like RD:BTE, but I can't stand the Star Wars 1-3 and the new Indiana Jones either. Just my opinion.

17. Mozoishere

Guitar - Maybe you're right. Whatever the case I'm in essence happy that its been given another airing at least. If it means we get another decent series of the show I'll be happy to put this weekend down to experience and never mention it again.

I'm fed up with deconstructing what I think are some bad examples of a show that I otherwise loved up to the last couple of series and then of course this trilogy. I'll put my best optimistic head on and engage 'looking on the bright side mode' and hope that something good comes of it all.

The guys did a mans job though and I'm glad its gone down well with others, if not with me. If that generates enough interest for another series then that's great. I just hope next time its got a bit more story and thought behind it, thats all.

18. prustyofsmeg

prustyofsmeg Skutter

I don't want to comment on the critique, but your point about the lack of JOY needs addressing.
    If you watch 'Back to Reality', you'll note that the lads did not actually feel any large amounts of dispair untill the end of the episode. Their halucinations were designed to create a slow and believable build up of dispair.
    In BTE, the Joy Squid caused a slow build up in Joy. If you'll remember, at the end of part 3, they all thought that they could control reality. They all seemed quite joyous then (except maybe Rimmer at first).

19. prustyofsmeg

prustyofsmeg Skutter

I think that it's about time that we all realise that modern technological advances in the way that TV is made is going to change the face of any classic TV show that gets re-made. It is my opinion that we will never see the magic that made us fall inlove with Red Dwarf ever again because of the following:
    1. If the production uses modern methods, we won't see what we used to see in the program.
    2. If the production tries to mimic the earlier series, we will criticise it for not moving with the times and for stalling in an old fashioned way of making telly.

20. evertonianz

evertonianz Skutter

have to reply to my own post on 1st page of this thread , i was in 2 minds about it all , and thought it very cheesey b4 tonite , tonites episode rocked and was classic dwarf i thought with 1st 2 episodes red dwarf was being given a cheesey death but the squid was a touch of class i guessin that the writers wanted us all to think this was going the way it was only to end it in the fashion they did great stuff im made up:-D red dwarf lives on:-D