Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I also brought up that point, and what you say is very true. But still... with this joy squid, they actually had almost the opposite for most of the time - they thought they were fictional and destined to die. In Back To Reality although there is a slow build it never really starts out at the opposite end of the emotional spectrum. Cat is in despair as soon as he awakes, Rimmer is as soon he finds out who he is supposed to be. Lister and Kryten are ok but not really joyful, just normal until they come across the totaliterian posters.

In back to earth there is no slow build but a 180 degree turn. It would make more sense to me for a joy squid to make them hallucinate an earth where Lister meets Kochanski, Rimmer is hailed a hero, the cat has loads of women after him.... more like better than life. That's just my feeling. I don't think the end really worked.

2. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Rubbish. Pt. I captured the tone and feel of the old show quite well, without regurgitating it, and I thought it was quite good.

3. prustyofsmeg

prustyofsmeg Skutter

I don't know if you've seen The League of Gentlemen: Apocalypse? The plot of BTE was a little too close to this film as it is, if Doug did what you've suggested then it would have been an absolute rip off.

4. prustyofsmeg

prustyofsmeg Skutter

I didn't mean that too literaly. And just to point out, I liked all of BTE. I don't think people should be judging each episode individually. It seems to me that it was just one long episode that split into three parts for the sake of getting more viewrers over a longer period.

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

As opposed to ripping of Blade Runner, Back To Reality and using shows that have already existed for years and real people, thus negating the chance/need to be original and create things instead of using existing ideas and people?

I was trying to find a way the plot could've worked, but you've just conviced me it couldn't. Never seen the League Of Gentlemen film by the way, I never liked the show and it pisses me off that they not only managed to make a film but came up with a better plot than this. I have to think that Doug should've taken his rediscovered abillity to write good jokes and used them in a better plot.

6. Idkfa

Idkfa Skutter

This was Red Dwarf. If you've watched the show, read the books. It was Red Dwarf. Everyone who is complaining probably feels the same way about the newer Star Wars. You have 10+ years to think about what hasn't happened and what you think should happen. Which will never be and will always end in disappointment. It was Red Dwarf. Rimmer was Rimmer. That Cat was the Cat. Kryten was Kryten. Lister was Lister. It was Sci-fi. That's what Red Dwarf does. You can be confused about 4th walls, none filmed seasons, missing characters, but in the end it was what it should have been. I have waited just as long as everyone else(maybe a couple months longer being in the US and waiting for season 8 and such) but it was what I asked for. This was Red Dwarf. If you over analyze it you are missing the point. I was entertained from the first second to the last. Doug Naylor or anybody can not live up to the standard of tens years in the waiting with the general public, never. Even though I thought he did. This was Red Dwarf.

7. Bongoman

Bongoman Skutter

I think I got to see series 8 before everyone back in the UK, when my local PBS station aired the whole 8 episodes back to back during a pledge drive. Once of the consequences of this was that I didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes to see the conclusion of the multi-part episodes, which I'm sure helped me like the series more than if I'd have had to wait.

Splitting 'Back To Earth' into 3 23ish minute long episodes was not ideal... I suspect they couldn't trim the story down to 2 episodes with adverts, but it could have fit nicely in 2 30-35 minute episodes on the Beeb. The best episodes had to trim 5-10 minutes from the shot footage, so the resultant episodes were very 'tight'. Of course, let's not forget the Beeb have been the ones ignoring the fans for 10 years.

Hopefully the DVD will be like the series 8 DVD, where the episodes can be played as broadcast (minus adverts) or cut together as one continuous movie, maybe will a little extra editing to tighten it up a tad.

For those that didn't care for Back To Earth, you can at least take comfort in the fact it takes place 2 series AFTER series 8- and so isn't etched in stone. Being Red Dwarf, it will be completely forgotten about should we be lucky to see a season 11.

8. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

I thought I'd wait till the lag died down on here before posting...

A pretty good conclusion to the whole thing IMO even though the Joy squid thing had already been guessed by a few people on here...

• The Corrie bit brought a smirk to my face when Craig Charles took a dig at himself noting he'd been to The Priory...
    • Liked the couple of midget Rimmer's which could possibly be a homage to The Rimmer Song, that's what sprung to mind as soon as I saw them...
    • Chloe's short return appearance as Kochanski was unexpected, definately didn't see that coming(She still looks fine:-D)

All in all Im quite pleased with the way it was put across as more of a movie tribute to Red Dwarf...
    I hope the record breaking viewing figures are enough to convince Dave to comission a new Series although if they did I'd hope it was a return to the comedy approach of RD of old, the filmic approach used for the special's just wouldn't suit a Series In my opinion...

9. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Red Dwarf is funny. This wasn't Red Dwarf.

10. nightofgrim

nightofgrim Skutter

Episode 3 is what made it for me. Awesome twist.

11. MagicMonkey77

MagicMonkey77 Third Technician

"ENTER SMUG MODE"

So I didn't get it exactly right but I'm pretty chuffed :-)

I'd like to thank the academy, my family and the baby jesus :-D

Actually I was only joking when I said this lol never mind.

SUUUUUPPPPEEERRRRRBBBBB show bloody loved it, Thankyou Dave and the RedDwarf posse.

12. RedDwarffan2982

RedDwarffan2982 First Technician

This was an awesome episode bring the saga to conclusion chloe's appreance was hidden well. She may return if the seires does. Personally I enjoyed the entire BtE it got better every night and really enjoyed the twist and the ending was alot more comfortable. I also like the way it ended with a similar ending in back to reality. RD BtE gets a full 10/10 for me(all though a more acurate result 25/10)

13. merts123

merts123 Skutter

Nice one chaps :-D:-D:-D. Now can somone provide some money for a new series pleeeeeease:twisted:

14. NibblingHellGoat

NibblingHellGoat Skutter

Why would 10 be the next series? There are two missing, right?

Unless I'm missing something.

15. bendrago

bendrago Skutter

Well, to be honest I am somewhat torn here.

On the other hand I enjoyed back to earth, I loved to see those characters up and about,
    I liked most of the jokes and I had quite a few smirks at all those blade runner nods
    but I do miss the silly comedy, back to earth was a bit too emotional, not that it is
    bad as such but somehow just felt out of character ...

All in all I am happy, esp. if there is a real series to follow up ...

Bring back dwarf, roll on series 9 & 10 & to the infinity

16. dynamostia

dynamostia Third Technician

Having watched all three parts now, I can honestly say I only managed a chuckle once. It was disappointing in general mostly because of the story. The last part was better than the previous two but that is hardly saying much.

It might be nice to see a new series but on the strength of this one I would have to wonder if its a good idea. I found the whole thing pretty corny and the attempted comedy was slap stick and just not up to the same standard we have grown to expect.

17. Jennifer2009

Jennifer2009 Skutter

I absolutely loved the story line, and some jokes were up to standard. Didn't like the bit in the cabin where they were putting on Manchester accents. Also thought the character who plays Steve McDonald, upon seeing a second Craig Charles, should have been extremely shocked, (not just phoned him and said 'I'll see you in The Rovers').

Over-all, a classic RD plot, but for the next series (?), more of the old style of jokes and humour please!

18. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Nobody was shocked to see them during the entire 3 episodes, not just the steve mcdonald bit. I pretty much assumed in this fake reality are used to the idea of fictional characters coming to life.

19. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

I finished watching the 3rd episode with a big *phew*. I was worried for a while at the end of episode 2, i thought, 'OMG, what have they done?' But i'm glad it sort of 'wasn't real', yet at the same time, glad they didn't end it with someone waking up going, 'ah, it was all a dream!'
    Some clever writing there.

I just need to watch it a million times now so that it actually feels part of the other series; because we've gone so long without new material, it doesn't feel so much 'part of it yet'.

20. SamTatr

SamTatr Skutter

It was a despair squid. How did we not noitice, "Back to Reality" was right after it for god's sake!

Sam