Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

I do not see why people have a hard time accepting another despair squid... remember this is not the first time something like this has been done... Polymorph II anyone!!! In Back to Earth, it is obvious that they wanted the illusion to be a little more real than in Back to Reality, and judging from many comments on this forum.... it worked.:lol:

2. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

lol, yeah duh! how the hell did we miss that?? bit a give away by dave that 1

3. faith

faith Third Technician

It's the penultimate episode if I remember correctly, called 'Reality takes a holiday' Probably my favourite episode...and sa I say, did the idea much better than RD.

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I feel like I've lost 45 minutes of my life reading the past 11 pages :shock:

I really liked it and loved all the references to past episodes and Blade Runner. Stop being so bloody fussy people! Its been ten years! Just be thankful that there has been some new Red Dwarf! Of course things wouldn't feel the same, the actors wouldn't get their characters dead on, continuity is never a factor on Red Dwarf and please please please let there be a new series!

I doutb I'll be looking in these episode threads again.

5. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

Well said, that man. My thoughts exactly.

6. Lee

Lee Third Technician

honestly i thought the core jokes in these 3 shows where as good as any other in the whole of red dwarf, i thought the tiny rimmer guards or whatever they were, were amazing and that was just another moment where i laughed out loud, i loved it all and would love to see them back to back without add breaks so roll on the dvd! all in all id say the story wasnt the best ever red dwarf story but the jokes where top class. plus they never died!!! so theres space for more dwarf, NICE :-D

7. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

Well, I watched the final Last Of The Summer Smeg last night, and I must admit it was an improvement on the first two. Let's be realistic though, it wasn't classic Red Dwarf. It was laboured, slow, padded out with lukewarm gags and the self-referential aspect was fairly embarrassing. Thin stuff, some good moments but I can't escape the feeling that the whole three part story was one 30 minute episode stretched to breaking point.

So after watching all three I have to say that I'd prefer if they'd just left well alone. It didn't work. Red Dwarf was of its time, and this isn't it.

It was smeg, miladdo.

8. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

In name only for me, I'm afraid.

9. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

Yep!

It certainly is.

Yep - me too.

Er - no.

10. carlco

carlco Skutter

There was always going to be a sense of disappointment for an almost impossible comeback show after 10 years away, i think the characters are true to form, as we all know the world they inhabit can be anything, anywhere, anytime, therefore i am suprised the 3 episodes seem stretched out, this whole thing although enjoyable sould of been made a 2 parter. ive deleted a lot of what i was going to say, as a few more watches of the whole thing are needed to digest what could be a good test pilot for a new series ?? perhaps... or a few more specials??? remember Dr Who had a very sticky few years out in the cold before its latest incarnation, maybe we are seeing the start of a metamorphosis into something new and fresh?? Red Dwarf 'live' show, at the theatre ?

11. The_Nimon1

The_Nimon1 Third Technician

I loved it, LOVED IT I TELL YOU. What a great well thought out story. It was great to see Chloie at the end as well, though what was going on with her hair????? I'd love to hear her comments on the commnetry (See series 7 commentry). I can't wait for the DVD with all it extras goodness, wonder if they'll be any deleated scenes on it?

As Oliver once said "Please sir, I want some more" :-D

12. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

Well, I, for one, am pleased!

The return of Chloe/ Kochanski - looking stunning as ever. Rimmer, Kryten and The Cat all putting on northern accents (trying to blend in) was hillarious. Lister controlling the crew's (including Rimmer's) actions.

You are reading one pleased fan's reply to a GREAT episode. Have I mentioned wanting a ninth series? Mr. Naylor has plenty of plots, jokes and twists left in him to satisfy a Red Dwarfer.

***** - five stars out of five.

13. Kingy78

Kingy78 Third Technician

GREAT!!!! This was better than anything that came out of series 7 and 8, although it still left me
    none the wiser as if there was to be another series?

Ian.

14. holahan89

holahan89 Skutter

c'mon the typewriter scene, who wasnt laughing?!?!

15. hammer67

hammer67 Skutter

all 3 episodes were very very poor ...

16. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

I think the 2.2 million it got on episode 1 means the chances of a new special or series are fairly promising, no guarantees of course, but it looks good i'm sure

I loved this episode, the revealing of kochanski was amazing, best kept secret on the show, so glad to see chloe annett back in it.

17. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

In "Back to reality" they are clearly starting to despair from the outset, and it jsut gets worse for them as the episode progresses,its starts off grim and dark and just gets worse for them.

In "Back to Earth" they start off in despair, fearing for their very lives..And that pretty much continues with a tiny jump of joy near the end...And thats only really for Lister as the others soon end up the butt of his humour..IT just fails to give the illusion of any real joy consistant joy for the characters.

18. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

I half suspected Chloe was going to back because they used a photo of her in ep 1. To the best of my knowledge if you use an actors image you still have to pay them the full amount. Didn't want to jinx it till i'd seen it with my own eyes though. Was very impressed with the ending. Showed a bit more of a grown up lister and like lots of others have said it really set the scene for a possible (search for Kochanskis season X)

19. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

"The Rovers! Well I'll stand at the bottom of our stairs and eat a barmcake! We were just past that weren't we lads!"

"Ta very much chuck pal love sir!"

:lol:

20. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Rather than calling it a joy squid i think a hope squid is more accurate. Firstly it's the hope of getting home which has the sting in the tail that they are not real. Then they're given the big carrot of getting more life by finding their creator after they crash into the reality. Then they kill their creator and think hope is lost, only to find the typewriter. Then their own immune system kicks in and helps them escape. To my mind it works reasonably well, especially considering how quickly the episodes were put together.