Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

i thought it was bloody brilliant
    please let there be more

2. chuunch

chuunch Skutter

Was really taken back with the final episode. Overall, after watching all 3 episodes again, im reasonable satisfied with Red Dwarfs return. Theres actually some really nice touches in there that i didn't realize the first time around.

This was a group hallucination but i feel it was built around Listers Psyche, i believe thats the reason only he felt joy. The way i see it...

Lister was the squids target because a) Rimmer is a Hologram b)Kryten isnt human and c)Cat is, has alwasys been to shallow and loves himself far too much already.

Katerina was created by Listers mind because just before he threw the squid Testicle at Rimmer, he was furious with him for being so irresponsible with the crews lives.

By episode 3 its clear the focus is on Lister and his need to be with Kochanski, hence the reason Katerina says "His body lives but he is dead inside" in the first part.

3. darrich72

darrich72 Skutter

After watching all 3 episodes i now feel i can make a comment! and that comment is WOW!
    was i worth waiting for? YES!
    Should there be more? HELL YES!

However, I think it should have been shown as a full lenth special because a lot of so called "fans" slagged and bitched the first two episodes off and those (hurtful to the show) comments may not have been made otherwise. Yes it was back to reality 2, so what! it worked!

Congrats to all involved in bringing RED DWARF back to our screens!

4. adamandkate

adamandkate Skutter

ok, just watched the 3rd episode a few minutes ago... and i have a confession to make

I didnt voice this, and didnt post it... but i thought that it was betraying red dwarf, didnt make any sence in the red dwarf world, where the hell was holly, and that it was all terrible. However i thought the whole grander feel of cgi was amazing

now after watching the conclusion i am amazed! it was fantastic, it was brilliant. i wanted to laugh, to cry, to sob!!

we need more guys. Im going to buy this on dvd just so it can atleast add one more fan to the list of who want a new series.

my take on criticisms...

canned laughter - im not fussed about this, i dont feel it lacked anything for not having it

cgi - it all looked AMAZING. it felt just how red dwarf should feel, but i understand the budget constrictions of this kinda thing. i think in the future we wont care if its all high or low tech. red dwarf was always basic, and thats what made it feel so great. but IF the rouge one comes back, im sure we dont mind if its live, basic, cgi, or bloody lord of the rings.

length - i agree with an earlier comments that the episodes need to be a little bit longer, they feel like thier over too soon often.

holly - did i miss something? why no holly. i realise he/she was damanged due to water, but whats the real world reason for this?

5. adamandkate

adamandkate Skutter

ok, just watched the 3rd episode a few minutes ago... and i have a confession to make

I didnt voice this, and didnt post it... but i thought that it was betraying red dwarf, didnt make any sence in the red dwarf world, where the hell was holly, and that it was all terrible. However i thought the whole grander feel of cgi was amazing

now after watching the conclusion i am amazed! it was fantastic, it was brilliant. i wanted to laugh, to cry, to sob!!

we need more guys. Im going to buy this on dvd just so it can atleast add one more fan to the list of who want a new series.

my take on criticisms...

canned laughter - im not fussed about this, i dont feel it lacked anything for not having it

cgi - it all looked AMAZING. it felt just how red dwarf should feel, but i understand the budget constrictions of this kinda thing. i think in the future we wont care if its all high or low tech. red dwarf was always basic, and thats what made it feel so great. but IF the rouge one comes back, im sure we dont mind if its live, basic, cgi, or bloody lord of the rings.

length - i agree with an earlier comments that the episodes need to be a little bit longer, they feel like thier over too soon often.

holly - did i miss something? why no holly. i realise he/she was damanged due to water, but whats the real world reason for this?

6. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

It was explained in part 1 by Rimmer that lister left a tap on for 9 years, and it all crashed down into the mainframe room, so Holly's drying out.

The real reason is probably due to Norman Lovett being a whiney bitch.

7. The_Bends

The_Bends Skutter

Well, to start off with I feel I should probably repeat some of the things Ive said before on other sites. First things first, I never liked series 7 & 8, to the point where I cant really watch them anymore. Its taken me a very long time to do this, but I realised the reason I didnt like them is most likely my fault, as I went into both series hoping for Rob & Doug writing. Of course I was well aware that Rob Grant had left, but I still wanted it to be how it was when both were writing. However, since those two series, and the announcement of BTE, I was able to take a much mature approach.

I realised it was never going to the same, and dare I say it, never going to be as good as it used to be, so if I want to get any sort of enjoyment out of BTE, I should change my expectations. I have to say it worked, and worked very well. It wasnt the onslaught of hilarious gags that Red Dwarf used to be packed with, but when I laughed, I laughed well. I would always take Rob & Doug writing Dwarf together again in a nanosecond, but Ive finally been able to see that if all were are left with is Doug Naylor writing Red Dwarf, its still a great and entertaining show.

I watched the first episode, and while I thought it felt short on time and on jokes, I did get some enjoyment out of it. Plus thankfully, I rightfully view the episode mainly as a set-up piece. I agree that it would have been better shown all as one episode, but I still feel very thankful that it was only a 24 hour wait, because if it had taken longer that first episode could have been disastrous. However, as I watched the following day is was clear people who said wait and see, it gets better knew fully what they were talking about. Of course by the third day, not only did we have the funniest episode, but one that puts everything into perspective.

Really I suppose the episodes plot was perfectly chosen by Doug since Back to Reality was voted the favourite episode ever by the fans, since it was an anniversary. What better way to commemorate Red Dwarf than Back to Reality part 2? So yeah, the ship looked awesome, the Scutters looked awesome and the whole show looked awesome overall. The cast looked awesome and seeing them back together was awesome. The plot was awesome. The jokes were the weakest part, mainly I think because old Red Dwarf was were the jokes were the strongest, but Ive already covered my feelings on that. At the end of each day, each of the three episodes had parts I laughed at, with number 3 having the most. The Blade Runner parody, while I felt a little excessive at certain points, was still a blast and really hilarious sometimes.

The bottom line is Ive come to accept both that Red Dwarf may very well never be as good as it was with Rob & Doug together, but at the same time that Doug doing Red Dwarf alone is no bad thing. If this is the Red Dwarf I am left with from now on, then its still a damn fine show in its own rights. Congratulations to everyone involved in the making of it, and to the cast for doing so well, the boys from the Dwarf in particular, thanks to Dave for showing it and to Doug for directing and writing a very entertaining, funny and nostalgic episode. Ive said so far that if a series can be made of the same overall quality as Back to Earth, I wouldnt be against that in the slightest, and it would be a fine distraction from the garbage that pollutes most of television these days. Great to see Red Dwarf back, maybe not on as good as a form as it once was, but still doing a brilliant job in its own right. I only hope to see more now as we go from here onwards.

8. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

I think for future episodes (please? pleeeease?), they should use a laugh track again. For Back to Earth, I'm glad there wasn't one, especially for part three. It would have ruined the atmosphere for me I think. I must say I never saw Kochanski coming. The way in which she was revealed, very similar to Rachel's enterence in Blade Runner was nice, although I'm beginning to think that all these references to the movie will go over the heads of people who haven't seen it.

9. Paulxgs

Paulxgs Skutter

I enjoyed it, a slight let down however.
    I understand most of it was CGI because they had almost no budget to use, but I still would have liked to have seen more of the dwarf.
    If they ever do make another series, all Doug needs to do is:

-Get Grant Back.
    -Get Ed Bye to be the Director once more.
    -Rake in a budget through donations/dvds.

I'm pretty sure the reason for it not being to great through acting and writing would probably be because they're all rusty after 10 years.
    Oh well, if Doug gets those things, bring on series 10!

10. darkraptor8

darkraptor8 Third Technician

Oh yes i am now your god. :-D

Got it right.

Liked it kinda, not so sure about the corry bit though.

Hope theres a new series just really hate adverts.

11. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Right I have summed my thoughts in the 'whole' thread but her are my complaints for this part 3 hehe

I liked this part over part 2 firstly, much better in looks and alittle more funny...but not much. I HATED the corrie thing, HATED it with a passion:evil::evil: never do that again.

Problems: and dont tell me Im being too picky over plots and RD always does this:roll: if you are gonna make a show with stupid plots then expect this....

How on earth did Cat get a female squid from the ocean planet in Back to Reality?

Why did we need the Blade Runner rips? I still think this was a really low attempt to garner interest in a dodgy plot, there are no other reasons for it. It just wasnt needed, almost a spoof of the classic. And all the people here who havent seen the film...god knows how you understood what was going on hahaha

It was a much better episode but the chance to do a really good plot involving Jake Bullet etc... with this despair squid idea still hits me in the face as a lost oppertunity, a really big missed chance :-(
    I also think the Blade Runner rip would have fit Bullet much better too, same kind of style and outfit etc.. it would have been perfect.

A waste of time springs to mind really, three episodes with a really iffy plot choice after all this time and its just another plot rerun, with some back story now badly altered.

12. RedDwarf09

RedDwarf09 Second Technician

If you've seen Wikiedia, basically everyone has to like this or no more Red Dwarf. Not Series 10, not 11, not 9, none.

13. Kevan1888

Kevan1888 Skutter

STOP SLATING BACK TO EARTH!

I have read hundreds of you moaning that you want the series to be picked up again, but saying you were disappointed that the excellent three-part episode didn't live up to your impossibly high expectations and then proceeded to criticise every little detail.

Don't you realise that if you're so hyper-critical, the show will NEVER return.

Positive responses only people.

Peace out!

14. darrich72

darrich72 Skutter

Well said Kevan1888

15. Dawatticus

Dawatticus Third Technician

Aye, I thought id woken up in a Star Trek forum :-D

"I HATE IT "
    " Why "
    " DATA PRESSES THE WRONG KEYS, 2 TIMES IN A ROW, THE SHOW IS RUINED, THE SHIP SHOULD HAVE GONE AT WARP 1.34 not .35! "
    :: Everyone agrees and hates that episode for ever ::

Thats what its starting to sound like around here :-p

16. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I point out the theory stated by Dan, If the plots are to be more serious then the plot holes will be taken more seriously.
    You cant have it both ways, you cant have a serious sci-fi show and have stupid mistakes and plots that dont tie together or just make a continuity mess out of previous show plots.

I want RD to go on sure but not the way this new 3part special has gone, no way.

Alot is moaning sure but most are from genuine people with constructive criticism, not everyone is gonna like it simple as that, thats life and people's own preferences. I think some people are just ignoring the fact the show has gone downhill badly just to get more shows in the long run.

Quality not quantity people.

17. JedExodus

JedExodus Skutter

May as well share my views here

I thought the first episode was just setting up, the 2nd episode probably made me cringe the most, mostly because of the Coronation St thing and the product placement for the DVD, it seemed to be trying to grab as much attention and revenue as it could...then the third episode came along.

The third episode really added the drama into the plot, it was everything I wanted from Red Dwarf with Naylor at the typewriter, a plot that really showed the mans love of sci-fi and love of the fans and the show itself. I mean what way to pay tribute to your fans than making them themselves a plot element! it wasn't a joke every 5 seconds, but series VII wasn't either, they went back to the traditional feel in series VIII and it got dogs abuse as well, some people will never be pleased.

As far as I can tell the nature of Red Dwarf has changed now, it's a different animal, the relationship between Lister and Kochanski is what drives the show, both for Lister's sanity and the future of the human race. A Red Dwarf that simply reverted to going back to the old formula of quick fire jokes and traditional sitcom appeal wouldn't be Red Dwarf. Yup there's plotholes but if the show were continued i'd say Naylor would be clever enough to have it covered.

I don't think a laugh track would have been suitable as there was a more mature tone in this series, it's been nine years and the crew have been through a lot, we got our jokes but really we were looking for an ending after series VIII, the show in my eyes could happily end here or plough on.

As for Holly not being there, Holly's a treat when you get him, but Dwarf done without him and Kryten took the majority of his jokes (even when Hatty Haybridge took over from Lovett) it can go with or without, but it wasn't a make or break in my view.

With a bit of editing and a few extra scenes and some re-done to tone down the product placement added to stress the seriousness of the plot this could make a solid Red Dwarf movie. that said I felt most of the placement was justified to really make us feel like part of the plot

Also I really didn't have faith in this, especially when i saw the Corrie shots in the paper, I think that I really should have trusted in Naylor, and even the casts willingness to go through with it unless the story was good enough, and yeah it was a rehash of Back to Reality, but that wasn't the point was it? The point was in a round-about way that Lister though Kochanski died, had a chance to be with her in the fantasy and decided not to, so now he troopers on through space, it was satisfying, funny and poignant and I was very happy with the ending

...phew

18. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

THIS

19. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

i love being told i "must" like something i didnt. you got some nazi memorabiliar to give out too? its called freedom of speech you morons. stop telling people what they should or should not think. like ive said before - you really think dave or anyone else would say "oh no... 4 or 5 people on the forums didnt like it...better cancel the new series!" - get real. its all about the $ that can be made from it and very little else.

20. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Uh, no, the real reason is Doug Naylor not writing him a part.

I'd be pissed off too.