Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mermaidman

Mermaidman Skutter

I never was in stitches but it was funny and an enjoyable romp.

:-D

2. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

actually on this one, i'm with the op... norman lovett is a whiney bitch!

3. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

I agree, it's getting silly.

4. sdrawnaM

sdrawnaM Third Technician

Reminds me of the William Shatner skit on Saturday Night Live. He's at a Star Trek convention, and a fan asks him what Kirk's locker combination was in episode so-and-so. A bemused Shatner doesn't remember. It was twenty years ago. The questions keep coming, getting worse and worse, and he eventually starts screaming at them to get a life, that it's only a TV show, to move out of their parents' basements. While it's obviously parody, I do think fans, particularly of genre shows, can take things far too seriously and miss out on the fun that was the show's intention in the first place.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Mr Naylor, Charles, Llewelyn, Jules, Barrie, Dave and everyone concerned with the making of this new three parter, I ws so so wrong to write this off as quickly as I did. I still maintain ep 1 was awful, but 2 and 3 more than made up for it. Amd a special mention simply has to go to Craig Charles for his performance, particulally the emotional scenes - his acting during the moments with Konchanski just blew me away... and THAT music during those scenes was just so massive and beautiful. Can anyone tell me anything more about this particular theme - composer, title?

6. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

rewatching whole thing now, music bit with rimmer goes on FAR too long, but the opening ten mins very funny actuali!

problem: if the hallucination is a DEFENCE mechanism, what was the squid doing ATTACKING the diving bell like that?

7. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

I thought the whole thing, all 3 parts together as one long episode was totally amazing and I loved every bit of it. I so hope there's more to come, but even if not I'm glad this was the ending and not the series 8 cliffhanger. Already got the dvd on preorder.

I really am truly shocked and miffed as to why so many people are writing this off, it's by far one of the top red dwarf stories ever, and the quality of it is outstanding.

8. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

Actually - I think I'd rather not have any new episodes...........
    shock horror!

If Red Dwarf was only seasons I-VI then I would still be a happy bunny and still adore the show. There were only six series when I first started watching, they could have left it there and I wouldn't have cared (though with the cutting room floor Margueritas ending)! Sometimes things are best left as they are and not resurrected.
    More epidodes does not make it better - Fawlty Towers has a mere 12 episodes yet is ranked as one of the top comedies of all time. 52 episodes is nowt to be sniffed at!

9. Listerschick4eva

Listerschick4eva First Technician

personally i think Episode 3 was the best of this and i did enjoy watching them :-) i do think certain parts may have been a little better but i think the problem is we've waited 10 years for this and so i think our expectaions were a little high, but the thing is that i think people need to remember is -
    1: the guys are older now so they aren't going to be able to jump up in the air, do 6 flips, whilst resighting the whole song of God save the Queen and land still keeping a full glass of Lager perfectly balance on their heads. and
    2: political correctness now could make an impact on the show, even though it's a comedy and it was made in the intension of making people laugh.
    not to mention 3: money - for all we could know, because of the Resetion AKA the Depretion (come on we all know the reason it's not called that is because it would cause pank and all that smeg) the channel or who ever it is that pay them may had said "oh sorry guys i know you had this brilliant idea for this show but you goin' to have to re-think because we can't afford that idea":x

but without all this i can quite easily say i would most likely be buying the DVDs of it and oh yeah (activate sarcasum mode) i didn't cry when Lister cried both in the 1st episode and near end when he's talking to Kochanski >.>

10. Noodle

Noodle Skutter

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I have to admit i wasn't sure about the first episode, I really think The Cat's opening lines were just too predictable, made me cringe, but yeah, episodes 2 and 3 were the best. Thought is was very good overall. Is it up there with the very best episodes from the other series? Perhaps not, but there were some great touches, and it would be hard to top some of the earlier episodes. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a 'worthy' mini series. It would be a shame to shelve any further projects just because a few ney-sayers were expecting something different.

11. Sparks43

Sparks43 Third Technician

ok watched the episodes at all stages (drunk merry and totally sober) and i have to say it was well worth it episode 3 is up there with the best of red dwarf i hope that all the negativity does not stop a new series or film which now must be made to tie up all the loose ends

a film based on last human that i would like :-D

12. Schluffy

Schluffy Skutter

Oh i love a cominuty where a persons individual oppinion can be denied in a feedback section for the more right oppinion

Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion, just because someone says a show was bad doesnt mean its fact and that you must instantly change your oppinion. Its your oppinion and you shouldnt care what other people think, unless theres a slight itch in the back of your head that you actually agree with them and having some fair points to voice causing you to oppose them so much to reassure yourself your in the right?

Calm down its only a TV show that we didnt even have to pay to see.

13. tschex

tschex Skutter

I nearly died laughing after Lister (now in control of the typewrite) began behaving like we all knew he would and making trouble for his three compatriots! That was in my opinion the funniest segment of the third episode (nay, all of BTE), but that aside, Lister's heartwarming choice, and the explanation of what happened overall (once back on the Dwarf), made the whole thing incredibly worthwhile for me as a dwarfer! I enjoyed ep.3 the best of BTE, hadouken!

14. RyanHouser

RyanHouser Skutter

If They Dont Finish Out The Series Im Going TO GO INSANE! All That Emotion... All That Potential... That Was BEAST... PLEASE DO NOT END IT! I'VE BEEN WATCHING THIS SHOW SINCE I WAS BORN! :-) GOOD JOB!

15. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

Personally, I loved it - too bad Lister didn't die, though. I think that would have been quite a dramtic death, with all the clouds and trees and all. He should have been killed off.

16. Listerschick4eva

Listerschick4eva First Technician

i had that idea make it seem he died in the "real world" and them all sad for him even Rimmer :crying: and have slow sad music on while it shows Lister's best bits (a bit like what the US show M*A*S*H did for the character coronel Henry Blake) i know i would have been crying my eyes out i'm not ashamed to admit that. :lol: i mean lets face it we know Howard Goodall could do it look what he did for Blackadder goes forth with that final scene when they go over the top.

17. Smegbot

Smegbot Second Technician

No way, that would've been smeg if they killed him off, i would've kicked the tv if they'd did that. Hopefully they make a new series, if not, at least we can be content with the knowledge that they're still alive, wandering in space and may possibly, eventually get home, even if they don't show it.

18. steven87gill

I must admit, although i loved the hallucination, joy squid ending, i was quite looking forward to the idea of the Dwarfers going back in time, crossing Dimensions and somehow coming into 'our' reality.

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I hope, if and when they ever do return to Earth for real, it will be in their own time and reality. I'd like to see what Earth will be like 3 million years from now, if it even exists. Other than that, it might be interesting to see Earth in their past time period (23rd or 22nd century.) We've seen brief bits in Timeslides and Ouroboros but so far it's been parts that look much like our world. I wouldn't mind if they saved that stuff for the film (if it is ever made.) There's been a few time travel back to earth stories over the course of the 8 and a bit series, so it's probably best they don't do that again too soon.

20. steven87gill

BTW i dont mean crossing from tv world into our reality, simply from another reality where red dwarf is real, that's a clever idea to play with.