Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

I'm still wondering where the Deckard-esque, bullet-labelling gunman fits in :-)

2. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Pleae let it be funny this time.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Let's hope that scene isn't the last. ;-)

4. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I think tonight`s ep must be an improvement on the previous 2. Some equilibrium must and surely will be reached with the Dwarfers going back to how they were.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Considering the way she appeared in the first place, I'm not sure she even has a light bee. If she isn't an illusion, I wonder if she was being projected from elsewhere. In Quarantine the other three were able to grab Rimmer's light bee* to power the evil professor lady. Rimmer still functioned though but had to return to ship in a pod, suggesting that all vehicles have separate holo-emitters. Of course that doesn't explain how she could be on Earth unless the portal were left open and the signal beamed through. (That's a bit of a stretch though.)

*I think the term they used was 'remote projection unit' rather than 'light bee' but surely that would be the same thing?

6. Krytens_spare_head

Krytens_spare_head Second Technician

Im quite worried as to what the 3rd episode has instore for us, im really really hoping the show goes out in true red dwarf style and gives us a lot of laughs, fingers crossed :?

7. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

i THINK TONIGHTS SHOW WILL BE THE BEST EVER!!!

8. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Well we already know there's going to be more Blade Runner spoofs, because there's a shot of them in the opening credits mimicking the scene where Deckard is hunting the woman and she crashes through the glass.

9. Kahuna

Kahuna Skutter

Someone's probably already mentioned this, but did they actually leave Red Dwarf? That scene in the shop with the bunk beds, Rimmer is seen leafing through some carpet samples. That to me seems like he's still on Red Dwarf and the carpets are actually that Astr-Navigation for dummies book he was reading in part 1. The trip in that bug car might be them actually leaving Red Dwarf in a real bug for some reason. Am I helping? Ha, possibly not.

10. Leodagan

Leodagan Skutter

I always thought that the hard-light version of Rimmer we have since Series V was "independant" from the ship for a simple reason : Red Dwarf is missing from Series 6-7. Then it would explain how the ship could generate Katerina, but it didn't explain why they didn't resurect Kochanski instead ! Maybe Rimmer isn't even aware of this, as it seems during Part 1.

11. kezza7

kezza7 Skutter

Episode 1 was absolutely awful. And i mean pathetic. It was a waste of 30 minutes of my life, that i could have spent doing something more interesting, such as hurling myself off a bridge.

But episode 2 was brilliant, more gags and more of the dwarfers we are used to.

If episode 3 is anything like episode 2 then i will be smiling :eek:

12. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

There's also a shot in the opening of Rimmer looking like he's just been hit in the balls where the set mimics Tyrell's bedroom when Roy (and Sebastian) go to see him.

13. Lauraa

Lauraa Skutter

I had such an awesome red dwarf dream last night. But bizarre.
    Hmm, do you think BTE is a late Aprils fools joke, and that Series 9 will air after BTE? Just an idea. Personally I love BTE, but it does seem a bit weird!
    I thought Red Dwarf could only hold one hologram at a time (remember back to S1E1 at the funeral of George Mcentire, and his speech, hehe^^).
    I also thought (and I am just posting all my thoughts here, so you might not get sense of them, sorry:-( wasn't there an episode like this in before in series 5, where all the crew were helusiating, and they all thought RED DWARF was a game they had been in for some years, and in real life Kat was Dwain Dibley, cops, ectect. Ahh, I loved that episode. So funny.
    Can't wait for tonight's episode and see how it all ties up.

14. BobbyWalter

BobbyWalter Skutter

I have a very good feeling about tonights episode.

15. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

Has anyone thought about how lister could read chinese yet? Seems to imply they are all in a dreamworld. Even Lister said he didn't know how to speak chinese.

Mmmmm. I have a bit of a strange idea. Assume that from the moment the met the squid, they are in a make believe world - from that moment they are acting out an episode of red dwarf in our reality (which is a fake reality made by the squid, hereby called reality 'X').

To clarify, reality X consists of 'our world where we watch red dwarf on tv'.

In our world, the writers are 'jumping the shark'. They have ran out of ideas so are introducing new weird plot devices, like making it back to earth, and lister speaking chinese. Katrina might be a new character introduced to bolster 'failing ratings' ala scrappy doo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

This would explain why so many things don't make sense. However, somehow they escape reality X and it all goes back to normal. What do you think? 8)

16. MagicMonkey77

MagicMonkey77 Third Technician

The squid could be similar to the despair squid, but I'd hope they wouldn't make a retread of another episode. I'm expecting far more reality bending ideas from ep 3

17. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

I'm not saying it is the despair squid, but just from that moment, everything shifted to the make believe world.

18. MagicMonkey77

MagicMonkey77 Third Technician

Let's face it when it comes to sci-fi ANYTHING is possible, especially when it comes to Red Dwarf.

19. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Fixed it for you.

20. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

I think it's a very sharp observation. Someone else also mentioned that the scene when they were searching the couches seems very similar to how they were positioned in their quarters.