Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. MagicMonkey77

MagicMonkey77 Third Technician

I so hope there will be a whole new season, hell if I had the money I'd fund it myself (that and a second season of Firefly) just need 6 numbers lol.

2. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

The last episode of season one has two Rimmers.

Rimmer questions Katerina about it in part one, but she ignores his questions. I'm thinking Katerina isn't actually a hologram.

I hope part three has the OMGWTF? moment I'm waiting for. They've got a lot to explain and tie up in 20 minutes.

I'm not looking forward to it being hacked in two by adverts though; but oh well.

Just over an hour to go.

3. MagicMonkey77

Theres definitely something in the theory that they are just hallucinating, very observant to the guy who noticed the carpet sample scene, I take my hat off to you :-)

4. KingDando

Did anybody notice Kryten taking the Red Dwarf DVD's off the shelf, THEN being surprised by them when he showed them to the others?

5. freakychurchill

freakychurchill Skutter

It has been intresting. Good but not great although I think the last part will make it great or crap why peps are moaning now is stupid. I miss the laughter but some of the jokes like the hand dryer and the cats suit have been great.....SO IN 1HR WE WILL SEE

8)

6. MagicMonkey77

Sorry to go off topic, but I'd so love to see "Last Human" turned into series 9 great story.

7. Awooga

Awooga Third Technician

I dunno what it's called but we really need that second or two of a title-screen-type-thing to buffer the ads that most programmes have. I've never understood the fuss over having ads, it's hardly a big deal and that's how commercial TV works; (it makes as much sense to throw a strop over having to get a job to earn money, welcome to the real world!). But you have to admit the way it goes straight from the action into the ads (and back into Dwarf just as abruptly) does throw you a bit..

I suppose every second counts though..

8. MagicMonkey77

Just bad editing from Dave, it annoys me on all commercial channels they spend thousands sometimes millions on a program and some work experience guy with fat fingers is put in charge of entering adverts lol

9. darkraptor8

darkraptor8 Third Technician

Could we have the return of the despair squid? :P

The fact they know there not real causes sespair? :-p i dunno im pulling this out my arse here.

But i still think my predictions are correct.

10. Bongoman

Bongoman Skutter

Please, oh please let part 3 be funny and intelligent- unlike the last 2 parts.

Oh, I should probably clarify. I'm talking about the whiny complaints by some on this forum, not the episodes themselves (I'm quite enjoying seeing the boys back in action).

Thanks cast and crew for bringing back Red Dwarf. Some of us here actually appreciate all your hard work, and don't think you 'owe' us anything. These new Dave episodes are a free gift to us, THANK YOU!
    ;-)

11. freakychurchill

freakychurchill Skutter

Yes that is a bit annoying in the 1st part when the cat said give me 3 mins I thought he had dressed like a chicken for a sec....

12. KingDando

If the despair squid showed up, I would feel a little cheated to be honest.

They didn't despair very much when they found out they weren't real. I think Rimmer was actually pleased :-)

13. BobbyWalter

BobbyWalter Skutter

My feeling is that Katerina is the squid in some sort of re-incarnation.

Remember, she appeared seconds after all four members came in contact with the squid ink.

14. MagicMonkey77

I remember when the adverts for "Back to Reality" were on BBC2 and everyone thought the adventures were a computer simulation it didn't go down too well, then the truth was revealed.

Guess I'm trying to say I trust in the makers of Red Dwarf who have entertained me for decades and are still keeping me guessing today.

Keep up the good work.

15. nitefly

nitefly Third Technician

Also, there may be a clue in the title.

'Back to Reality'

'Back to Earth'

Deffo the despair squid or something very similar.

16. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

OK, some observations of mine and some observations taken from others that are not my own, as I await Ep3:

Blade Runner. References all over the place. The opening sequences with the BR'eque landscape, the running scene and crashing through glass, the bedroom (I think that was an homage to Tyrell's bedroom?), the origami figures, the photo scan / crop scene. Probably other things I haven't noticed, since I haven't watch Blade Runner in awhile.

Possibility of another "Back to Reality"? First off, two hard light holograms doesn't make sense (and was already touched on very quickly and dismissed). The weird Cat entrance from nowhere. The fact that the couch scene is framed in a similar fashion to the bunkroom, Rimmer's weird flipping through swatches (could it be him flipping through his Navigational book?). the fact that the Cat is also driving Carbug via a toy steering wheel -- why would that even be there? And how does Lister know how to read Chinese?

I'm thinking the two are related -- my theory is that the whole thing is some Back to Reality-eque situation. I think Katerina is part of the delusion, since she couldn't understand why there was a reality error. Maybe the entity that created this grabbed the movie "Blade Runner" from Lister's mind and incorporated it (since the movie was mentioned verbally by Lister, who seemed to understand the comparison). And Carbug is really Starbug, which means they went off the ship to places unknown, and reasons I can't fathom yet.

And the fact that I am questioning what's going on is the main reason why I'm enjoying this special as much as I am! Bring on Ep3!

17. nodmonkey

nodmonkey Skutter

Episode 3 is a 'hilarious' romp around the Coronation Street set meeting cast members and Craig Charles, leading to the BIG CONCLUSION:

The boys from the Dwarf end up being the target of some kind of 'narrative-destroying/dimension-jumping' assassin (the squid/Katerina) and get shot in the back when running through some glass windows. Then on screen the message appears...

"To Be Continued...?"

And we have to wait for Series IX or X or XI to find out what happens.

If this is true, I will be :evil:

18. MagicMonkey77

The Back to Reality link is certainly possible they had Polymorph 1 and 2, but I can't help feeling theres something BIGGER in store for us.

19. darkraptor8

darkraptor8 Third Technician

The squid ink on them could be something to do with it.

And also Red Dwarf can only suppost 1 hologram and Katrina never replied to Rimmer's question so i agree in some way she could be a connection to the squid becuase she just poped up as soon as the squid leaves.

20. MagicMonkey77

I wonder if they're still in the mirror universe from end of series 8 that would make it a JOY Squid lol.