Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Really? That was it? That was terrible. Zero jokes, too many emotions, etc. I am so annoyed he took an hour and a half to retell Back to Reality in such a short time. So many of us guessed that was the story, it was terrible.
    Not to mention those Cgi Rimmer dolls, what happened there, did the budget run out around that point? The whole story felt so poor. Not a fan of it.

And to be frank, I do not want to see a new series of Red Dwarf. If it's going to be nothing but CGI sets and scutters and more CGI, with terrible rehashed stories, I do not want it.

I understand half of you people will call me stupid for not liking the show, but im not fanatical, i can tell when its sub par or not.

Oh and the Joy Squid? If Cat had it from Back To Reality, how did it stay on Starbug all that time? The 200 years they were in stasis, why didn't it grow? then it survived the following years chasing Red Dwarf, it then escaped Starbug blowing up on Red Dwarf, it then lasted inside the prision with Cat, before passing over to the mirror universe Red Dwarf?

SERIOUSLY!? Why not just say it appeared out of a magic pixies ass, it'd make as much sense. Rip Red Dwarf. :-(

2. Lilchef

Lilchef Skutter

First of all I have to say: loved every minute of it.

On recommendation from the guys here yesterday I watched Blade Runner for the first time today and I'm glad I did as it's totally a pre-requisite for 'getting' this mini-series.

I really liked the fact there was a bit of drama as well as some great comedy and I agree that seeing Kochanski came as a genuine (welcome) surprise.

I really, REALLY hope that they get to make more after this. Don't make me beg!!

3. SimplePlan2k8

SimplePlan2k8 Third Technician

FAN-SMEGGING-TASTIC!!!!

That was amazing, I can't put it into words. So many great moments, and the Joy Squid? Doug you're a genius! How they kept Chloe's return secret is beyond me, that was sensational! I couldn't believe it when I heard her walking down the corridor.

Series X, the Search for Kochanski. Let's make it happen! :-D :-D

4. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

Couldn't agree more :-)

...Couldn't agree more :-)

5. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

but that's the point they dont want bte to be their final show there not going to use their proper big ending intill they decide to finsih it. doug always wanted it back in some way and he had. when the time goes when doug wants to finish it proably he will use his big ending. BTE was a way it will bring it back and i'm sure it did. just because it had been away for 11 years doesn't mean BTe has to be the best episode yet.

EDIT:I know that message was kinda messed up but i hope you got my point

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

And any fan worth his Red Dwarf DVDs must point them out and engage smug mode :lol:

This is actually a bit sad, cos the comedy writing was so much better than series VII and VIII but the plot was total smeg. Doug has been tying himself up in increasingly complex knots for a while now, and this whole plot is too clever for it's own good. Sorry but as much as I love Doug Naylor, If I was Rob Grant I'd probably deck him :lol:

7. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

Well, that was the best episode of Red Dwarf I have ever seen! Not really, it was rubbish. It was so poor, the channel I hear is changing its name to Davina.

On the plus side, at least it brings to an end all the speculation of further series. And this from someone that really liked the first 2 parts. No. Just, no.

The End.

8. replicon1

replicon1 Third Technician

Well, that was unexpected! Despite it's many flaws, being cut into 3 parts and Dave's obtrusive ad-breaks I think it all works very well as a whole. I loved the Bladerunner references although I'm not quite sure what the Tyrell Corporations' building was doing in central London. I want more life...Smegger! Well, I want more Red Dwarf....Naylor!
    Now that the technology has caught up just think of the possibilities. The ark of cats that flew off to find Fuchal, Listers 2 kids being brought up in the female-centric dimension all these forgotten plot-lines could be explored again. This is something that has to happen, there is surely enough demand now for another series.

9. e4tmyl04d

e4tmyl04d Third Technician

the ending was quite underwhelming. i expected more considering the hype :/
    loved the bit where lister was on the typewriter though ;]

10. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

re: making no sense. I remember being SO excited as a 12 year old when Red Dwarf VII first aired. I HAD to know HOW they could come back after one of the most brilliant, brainbusting ends to a series of anything i'd EVER SEEN!!

then they tossed the issue aside and didn't mention it again. seeing as that series was meant to be more drama-y, now i think the first ep would have been great if they'd addressed their escape from massacre-by-paradox head-on and got stuck into what happened and why. but no. really shook me in terms of enjoying what was in any case a series with a few misfires.

this? i think i'll enjoy the replay more now i know where they wereo and why. but i don't see what was so joyful about Rimmer having to slam his crotch repeatedly into a desk, funny as it was. Nobody got anything out of the squid except Lister. So were we just seeing Lister's fantasy? In which case none of the others were there? Because there was NOTHING to entice the rest of the crew to stay. I kinda liked it though. If there's to be a new series, there needs to be a co-writer for it to rescale the heights, IMHO.

11. Spunky_Lister

Spunky_Lister Skutter

I waited until the end of the full episode to post a message, like most I've been a Dwarfer for many years, own everything I can afford to buy, meet the cast, got the signatures etc, once even wrote a fanzine.

I've waiting like you all for this for years. And what do I think?
    Compared to previous RD? Well it wasn't as good, but I loved it! And I loved it for the basic reason of ten years without a new RD anything is better, we need to be grateful that there is a new episode. In fact we need to praise it more than I did, it was very good, good jokes good plot, although we've seen the idea before, for the time they were given to put it together it is great! Imagine another series with the time and budget to put it together, it would rule!

The End - The Smeg It Is!
    Better Dead Than Smeg? - Well it wasn't smeg - so bring it on!

Doug shows he is a master - Rob left, lots slate episodes after this, but I think Doug has given us all 7, 8 & Back To Earth something us fans want and seems to have a fair idea of what we want to see as viewers. The cast as always were great.
    We need to support this as a community, I already pre-ordered the DVD by the first night, and if it is out on BluRay will buy that too.
    We've had questions answered, and more questions to ask. But that a ride, you guys gotta make a series X!

To all you Dave haters out there - if it wasn't for Dave we wouldn't be talking about a new Red Dwarf, we would still be debating the possibility of a RD Movie that never happened!!

Spunky AKA Tris

12. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

A big improvement over the last two, didn't do itself any favors showing it over three nights, should have been one big adventure. I still thing Dave need to take on board all the comments that have been made over the last few days, cos some of the jokes were just too blatant and trashy, i mean the kryten and the rakes that was just bad, should have just left it at rimmer. It was generally just trying to hard to be pretentious, cut the crap and get back to basics, its a sitcom, stop tying to turn it in to a drama. Could have done with a fresh story line than a recycled one, but that can be blamed on it being an anniversary special.

but they could be a future in this yet, as long as they learn from this and Dave pull's their fingers out their butts and gives them a real budget, this one judging by the making of was this one was a joke, if they are gonna do a full series they need real sets, CGI just doesn't hack it, they cant base ever episode on earth, and the lack of studio audience had a really bad effect on the atmosphere. I still can't believe they were so cheap he had to buy the carbug himself!

love the return of Kochanski tho, now we just need holly back.

13. Schluffy

Schluffy Skutter

I get where your comming from the only problem I have with that is if your a new viewer to RD. Never seen an episode before and never seen Bladerunner. What kind of oppinion are they going to get on the programme?

10 years on from the last series this should have been more accessible to a new audience and make me feel like im watching an enjoyable programme that doesnt include homework

14. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

worked out that the Rimmmer we saw was the same Rimmer who was Ace.

Kryten said they all had built up an immunity to the Ink which helped them leave easier, but the Rimmer who met it before was Ace. So either Ace came back and took role as Rimmer again, or its just another cock up with continuity. Probably the latter, as Lister remembered playing pool with planets despite the fact he got wiped out after doing that, since he changed time.

15. Garry2rs

Garry2rs Third Technician

Wow!! :-D
    Glad to see Chloe as well (my, her hair was big!)
    Ok so maybe a slight cop out ending (female dispair squid) But you can't really fault a show thats been away for 9 years and come back so strong.
    I hope this is a prelude to a new series or even the film! The only thing that needs to addressed if the Dwarf is to survive just on 'Dave' then the episodes need to made longer and not so short to fit in with a commercial channel's half hour.
    I really need more!

16. replicon1

replicon1 Third Technician

Ummm..OK. The crew hadn't lost Red Dwarf at that point. Back to Reality was season 5 so the Cat could have easily taken the Joy Squid back to Red Dwarf and left it in the water tank. The amount of time is not an issue because the original Despair Squid was alive on that water planet for millenia before the crew found it. So it could have survived for 200 years.

17. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

You're talking about the same Rob Grant who wrote dark ages and strangerers?!?! If I was Doug I would deck hi for writing those!

18. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

You're talking about the same Rob Grant who wrote dark ages and strangerers?!?! If I was Doug I would deck hi for writing those!

19. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

okay, first off, back to reality was the last episode of season five. Season six began with them coming out of statis for 200 years. As I saw it, and as Kryten said in one episode: They were returning from the planet with the Despair squid, and they couldn't find Red Dwarf, they thought they lost it, when it was infact a planet.

When they went back to the Red Dwarf planet that was made, they even plotted a course for the planet with the Esperanto on it, so it was right there. Kryten said "we last saw Red Dwarf before our encounter with the Despair squid"

so yes. the "joy squid" should have been on Starbug all this time.

20. Novabug

Novabug Skutter

Indeed! I loved it! A very clever piece of writing on Dougs part! Remember how we all felt when we first saw Back to Reality? Exacly.
    Message to all those people who are saying, "oh, it's destroyed Red Dwarf" and "Not funny, poor script". Take a day off you people! The script was clever and got us all making messages and disscussing frantically didn't it? Shame some of the plot holes were not explained, but it was still great to see and watch will a nervous anticipation. Also, all you so-called haters, if you wanna new series 9 or 10, which i hope will happen, you better start showing a bit of support, cos tv channels don't make stuff if they think its gonna be smege, so continually stating BTE will just make them pack it all up.

The the words of Holly, "Wheeze of the week mate!