Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Well, the end of the specials, and the final piece of the puzzle.

First impression: the revelation that it was all caused by a "joy squid" á la Back to Reality and the Despair was a little disappointing, and it felt as though Doug was just harvesting past ideas.

With deeper thought: although the above still stands, I do believe that it was played out quite well. Although it would have been nice to have seen something fresh, I think the joy squid is fresh enough while providing a nod back to one of the most popular episodes of Red Dwarf ever. In doing so it also brought everything else into perspective a little better, and enhanced the overall thoughts on the specials (but that will be covered at another point in the proper thread, after watching all 3 pieces together).

The jokes ran along similar lines as the others, and I enjoyed them. The early line about "this is just like where I grew up, only with less burning cars" is one I found hilarious, but probably more so because I live in a similar area! It flowed akin to the last two episodes and as such it all provided a similar feel and a fitting end.

Also the continuation of the Blade Runner feel was nice with the similar look of the Creator, and Chloe Annett turning up with the hairstyle of that Replicant who shacks up with Decker (still can't recall her name!), changing it into another of her hairstyles in the film when Lister finally comes back to reality, and back to the Dwarf.

On the whole, as a single episode it would not rank among my favourites, but neither would the other two. However it was still a decent episode and I enjoyed it. Just need to see it all together now.

(on a different note, my 100th post on the these forums! 100 posts of relatively mindless crap, I feel so proud :P)

2. barnaclebill

barnaclebill Third Technician

I thought it was superb! A wonderful cinematic ending paying homage to itself and its inspiration. I don't agree it's a 're-hash' of Back To Reality. It stands well on it's own.

It's not the Red Dwarf we once knew, I think like Series 7 and 8 it relies more on the story then the characters, and the humour is more slapstick also like 7 and 8. I can understand this is one of the main things upsetting people who were drawn to Red Dwarf for it's 'stand up' style witty banter. But those days are gone. Red Dwarf has evolved and is wonderful in different ways. I know lots of people seem to dislike the plot. I receommend re-watching Blade Runner. I think it's one of the most powerful and emotive Red Dwarfs I have seen. And on repeat viewings, people will see lots of things they missed first time around.

RE- The squid thing, yeah I wonder how did it survive all that time and all those events? But it was a dimension jumping leviathan, so maybe it followed them to the new dimension and hibernated somehow.

Anyway, if there is a series 10 set pre- BTE as hinted, we may find out ;-)

3. corbane1

corbane1 Skutter

I think it was a GREAT episode, and cool story, now I'm disapointed that there will be no new Red Dwarf for a while again............. I cant wait for a new serires or episode, bring 'em on Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please.......:-D

4. chatterbox

chatterbox Skutter

I don't have anything original to add here except to echo a few points already made. Was really looking forward to the specials. Part 1 was terrible, part 2 was fantastic plotwise, and tonights was shambolic. I'm absolutely devastated. The plot was full of easy cop outs, there were hardly any gags. Its a good thing there wasn't a laugh track because there really wasn't much to laugh at. I thoroughly hope that this opens the door for a series 9 but for the moment I'm massively dissapointed. I'm heading off now to relive the glory days and watch a few old eps.

5. con_leason

con_leason Skutter

i started off a little disapointed with the first two episodes but after the end of episode three i loved it. I felt that the first two episodes where rushed with little thought but the third episode explained all that with the squid so that certain things such as two holograms didnt need explaining due to it not being real. I thought the gags and laughs where brilliant and the characters where very well played especially as the actors have been out of character for so many years. My only disapointments are that their is still no give of what happened to rimer at the end of series 8 and that its over now i would love to see more new eps!

6. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

I hope there won't be any more series of Red Dwarf, at least not until they get a full time writing team, or they get Rob Grant back, for the love of god please.

also I though Naylor said the last part would explain why there would be no series nine and why it'd go straight to series ten? I saw nothing that suggested this, just crap little Rimmer Muchkins and constant slapstick "comedy" I was expecting Kryten to break out the cream pies and start shoving them in peoples faces any second.

7. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

SPOILER ALERT (as if there wasn't enough spoilers out there, but just sayin').

OK, I liked the wrap-up in general, although there were a few things I find hard to swallow. First off, it was a twist of Blade Runner meets Back to Reality (which I saw coming) meets the "Better Than Life" novel (which I didn't see coming). In that respect, I wasn't too upset about the lack of jokes, given that the "Better Than Life" novel had the same feel to it.

But the end seemed too hastily written, to me. Cat brought the Joy Squid on board at the end of S5? Doubtful, for reasons already mentioned. It also makes no sense that the Cat would not have put 2 and 2 together if he really had brought the squid on board -- he would have known if was the same creature and would have figured out where he was pretty quickly. And, once you saw the Blade Runner-eque building, it seemed very obvious that this reality was fake - it was too premature. EDIT: I also disliked the rake / whacking Rimmer in the nuts scene. 10-15 seconds of that would have been OK, but 45 seconds was WAYYY too long. It reminded me of "see you in 10 minutes?".

I did like the whole "we are the fiction, not them", however. But Doug extended the joke about 10 seconds too long -- they should have laughed and faded to black right then and there.

8. GuffyGuy

GuffyGuy Second Technician

I waited ten years to see Lister meet Craig Charles at the Rover’s Return and Kryten walk repeatedly into rakes?

Smegging hell…

9. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Well, there is not really too much to say. An amazing end to a great special. It does not matter if they re-played an earlier idea, I have to admit the despair squid was confined to 30 minutes and as such did not offer much despair, while this one didn't offer much joy until the end.... it built up to it while crating a world around it, a world not really seen in any great depth in Back to Reality. And even if the joy was only Listers in the end, that is because he alone chose it, while the others chose to fight against it.

The Cat could not have taken the squid back to Red Dwarf, as after the despair squid, they never made it to Red Dwarf, Krytens nanobots escaped Starbug before the crew had chance to dock. Read the online mag in the gallery section if you do not agree with me. The only way the squid could have been recreated is if it was sucked out with many other items and then rebuilt by the nano's on Red Dwarf later... but as one post said, plot inconsistencies happen frequently in Red Dwarf, so who cares :P

A great special all round :-)

10. Joicey

Joicey Skutter

i thought the new episodes were good. glad to have Red Dwarf back. Hopefully, more will follow in the future.

11. replicon1

replicon1 Third Technician

OK...this is getting tougher but I think there is a way to get this to work. The Cat stated that the female Joy Squid was tiny when he found it. He could have stashed it while in stasis on Starbug, then released when he returned to Red Dwarf. As Red Dwarf was completely re-constructed by the nano's it would probably have had to be on Starbug during this time. I agree that this is pretty convoluted but Red Dwarf was never designed with sensible continuity in mind.

12. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Basically the same old line "Continuity? Whats continuity? Some type of feminine hygiene product?"

13. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

That was not what I waited 10 years for.

Red Dwarf always stuck out because it was highly original. There were gentle riffings on Alien in Polymorph, but that's about the only homage that really comes to mind.

A ten year wait for a spoof of Blade Runner and a rehash of Back To Reality is just unforgivable.

It's no wonder that Part I was the best part, it had the most original material.

What a smegging load of smeg.

Careful what you wish for guys and gals, you may get it.

14. faith

faith Third Technician

Hm. Not great. Glad the boyz didn't die, great to see Chloe again but I hate Blade Runner. The mini-Rimmers were creepy rather than cute this time, very few laughs, rehash of a classic episode which did the idea much better. As to the scene where they write their own script, a half hour kids show on channel 4 did this much better over 10 years ago called 'Eerie Indiana'

Nice to se the boyz back, but too much emphasis on the look of the show and emotions and dramatics, not enough comedy or enough of an original plot.

15. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

I thought it was a brilliant ep by Doug, the next series will only get better! Congratulations all involved!!

16. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

lol your over thinking the squid thing, its Red Dwarf, Scifi? let it go, no one is perfect.

17. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

ten years waiting, ten years to see Blade Dwarf.

I'm amazed that it could be called a homage/ reference to Blade runner, felt more like a direct rip off.

18. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

I actually have the whole series of Eerie, Indiana on DVD. I need to watch that episode again.

19. elCrawler

elCrawler Third Technician

Someone mentioned earlier about what the others could possibly get joy from in the hallucination brought on by the Joy Squid. For Rimmer, it seems pretty obvious. Going back to the original "Back to Reality", Rimmer expresses joy before 'reality' sinks in: "I'm not Rimmer!". While things are different in this hallucination, he could easily have taken up a new identity in this new world. As for the Cat, he could have taken joy in that there were more people who could appreciate his cool because, as Kryten puts it, he is so mind-meltingly shallow. Perhaps the longest shot is Kryten...just think of all that ironing.

Just some thoughts I'm throwing out there. Feel free to shoot them down.

20. h3lter

h3lter Second Technician

loved it! rakes was soooo funny!

guys u did brilliantly!

please come back for more!