Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. nathall

nathall Skutter

F--KING BRILLIANT!

A touching end to a fantastic special. This is grade A work, and absolutely my only complaint was the choice to cut this masterpiece into 3 episodes rather than showing it in it's entirety on the first run. I think this was a huge mistake, and possibly cost ratings in the process. This piece doesn't work chopped up, no matter how you slice it. As a whole, this thing is beautiful.

Thanks GNP for bringing Dwarf back after all these years. I honestly never thought I'd be given the gift of new Dwarf, and my only hope is that Back to Earth is considered a large enough success to license another series. Thanks guys & gals, everyone involved, it was fantastic.

2. albarst

albarst Skutter

Not alot to say apart from the fact i found it very enjoyable , loved every minute of watching and can we have some more please.
    All i will say though is it is what it is and i dont feel the need to disect it and hope that some more questions will be answered in a new series.

3. Snipofsmeg

Snipofsmeg First Technician

I have waited commenting on these episodes untill I have watched them all, now that I have I must say;

Red Dwarf has CHANGED some fans will change with it some will not, I will admit these episodes are awfull if you take them seperatley but when watched back to back the 3 make a classic great episode.

I see people complaining its too much like Back to Reality and that it is a bad episode for bringing new fans to the show after 10 years. But did Doug have the necersery time slots to make a episode that is great for newbies?

I belive not as Dave as been showing RD for some time now they are the episodes that bring in the new people, and playing back to reality after these episodes also help people understand the concept.

We have been given a special that opens the Red Dwarf story again, forget the remaining small plot holes, they are apart of RD past and future.

I welcome new stories in hopefully a larger timeslot, with episodes that have clear beginings middles and ends which I think any great RD episode needs to be great.

4. Scumface

Scumface Third Technician

Awesome. Just awesome.

That is all.

5. Washout

Washout Skutter

'Back to Earth' was very funny and enjoyable for the most part and i especially enjoyed the finale tonight which felt much more like classic Red Dwarf.

I have to be honest though i had got that sinking feeling after watching the first 2 parts as i wasnt sure where the whole thing was going story wise, however being a fan since the first episode aired in 1988 i decided to give any shortcomings the benefit of the doubt and watch through till the end.

I'm glad i did, good ending for a 20th aniversary show, which after all is what this is and a nice nod to some of the moments from my favorite episode's.

IMHO they should make another series but give them a decent production budget and maybe bring back some filming in front of an audience not for the laughter as many on here are asking for but clearly the cast were more on there game when filming live.

My two pence.

6. wielandsmith

wielandsmith Skutter

I agree, and with all the hype, I thought they'd really put their best foot forward. At the same time, many films done by brilliant directors with tons of money to back them (e.g. Indiana Jones, Star Wars...), can still seem to fall short. Expectations are a dangerous thing - especially those of adoring fans. Still, I feel like if they got a full writing staff and turned this back into a regular series, they'd get into the swing of things, and The Dwarf reborn would kick some intergalactic ass.

On a side note, it was great to see all the actors together again.

7. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

What about blatant outright parody of Casablanca in Camille?

EDIT: Or the James Bond inspired Ace Rimmer scene in Stoke Me A Clipper?

8. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

Hmmm fair enough, I was thinking more of science fiction parodies, but you have a point.

That said, two episodes out of the original 52 were parodies.

Two out of the three of this trilogy were parodies. Two too many.

9. MadWindy

MadWindy Skutter

Guys,

Absolutely fantastic show. Agree withe the other guy, should've shown it as one feature episode but otherwise, on the button.

In my opinion, probably won't mean much but i think it will work, Bring the show up to series 10 ( like the back to earth ep's suggest) then one more series where these bunch of smegheads actually get home and get MOST of what they want. Might sound dumb but i feel it would be a fitting end to a bunch of losers that are brilliant characters finally just getting home.

Don't expect for you to listen to this but i think that it would make a fantastic already timeless comedy series into a absoulute classic, up there with only fools and horses and men behaving badly.

btw, fantastic blade runner stuff, was laughing my arse of! shame you didn't have kochanski ( sorry if spelling is smeg!) dressed as a doll trying to kill lister! Even Funnier if roy batty was the inquisitor back for vengance! lol

Anyway thank you very much and i along with thousands of fans do alot more red dwarfs and end it in the most fitting way possible.

Many Thanks

Mad Windy

"Lets get out there and twat it" - Dave Lister

10. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

:-( laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track laugh track :-(

11. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

Yeah laugh track

12. Wuggyboobeaufuf

Wuggyboobeaufuf Third Technician

A laugh track won't help if it's not funny.

13. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

the only reason there was no laugh track, was to do it would require the public seeing it, and the story would be leaked. then seeing Kochanski wouldn't have been nearly as surprising.

besides it looked like it'd be less of a laugh track, and more of a "aaaaaaw" track from the amount of emotions shown.

14. freakychurchill

freakychurchill Skutter

Great loved it my fav part had 2 be lister using the hand dryer ;-)
    I hope they do more

15. PCz911

PCz911 Third Technician

View from the states:

Look, lads. It's a decade on. Th3e world is a different place. Hell, I'm different than I was a decade ago. When you watch all three together it's a damn fine effort. My wife saw it with me and, as she's not a big dwarfer, advised that the cast looked great (much better compared to me vs. a decade previous), and it was a fine episode. Well done. Where's the DVD, I want to buy it now.

And, despite some moaning from the crowd, what better time to be alive and to be a Red Dwarf fan than now? Let's sit back and enjoy the time. We have damn few reasons to celebrate recently. I know it's a bit of the English Character to be critical, but take it from a Yank. Enjoy the good times since ya' never know when it's gonna be back.

So, where IS the merchandise? I want to get me some goodies to put next to my Starbug.

Cheers.

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Ah but that was never any good to begin with, Red Dwarf is a classic. If you're gonna start writing smeg, better off doing something new that nobody cares about :lol:

It's like the difference between leonardo drawing crap stick figures and painting a moustache on the mona lisa.

17. cosmicmonkey

cosmicmonkey Third Technician

well i think it would have been difficult to fit a studio audience into john lewis or that diving bell!

i always felt that the underlying melancholy of the situation- the last human, floating lost through space, with a bunch of smegging idiots- lovable as they are- underpinned the comedy well enough that tear-jerking wasn't really worth attempting (although i had a lump in my throat when a terrified rimmer picked up that gun at the end of S6). deep emotions, lister and kochanski as some kind of intergalactic ross & rachel, this is stuff i could DEFINITELY live without!

18. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Also this Joy Squid thing. For most of the time they were under it's influence they were under the impression they were made up characters and going to die. Not much joy in that. It's only right at the very end when they figure out they can write their own fate that they get any joy.

19. SophieMadeOfStars

SophieMadeOfStars Skutter

loved it! who could not love rimmer thrusting into a table corner repetatively? his camp impressions in the shop were also HILARIOUS!

20. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

I DID NOT ASK TO BE MAILED THIS

A new topic has been added to a message board, conference, or forum that you are monitoring.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/messages.cfm?threadid=9CB93993-FB56-FDC0-3C633AB734FAC9D8

You may change your subscription preferences by updating your profile using the following link:

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/profile.cfm

Title: Positive Red Dwarf Petiton
    Forum: Back to Earth
    Conference: Red Dwarf
    Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 23:46 PM
    Author: smegmania456

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring the Guys Back.

Ok, so BTE wasn't a classic, but it was never going to be. So many years off our screens demanded a recap.

With clever writing, new situations (helped by Dave bring new visual locations to Red Dwarf the Ship) and possibly bring back Rob Grant and some of the original crew, Red Dwarf could rise again in a slightly different way.

This is a Positive Petition to bring back Red Dwarf.

Please, Please bring back Red Dwarf. Dave are you listening??