Back to Earth: Episode Three

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sampledred

sampledred Third Technician

This is quoted from Robert Llewellyn's Llewtube site:

Canned Laughter

The most frequently asked by far is about the lack of what is commonly called ‘canned laughter’ or a laughter track on the new series. Just to clarify, the term ‘canned laughter’ really refers to a sound editor using library sound clips of people laughing pasted at strategic points on the soundtrack. Basically it’s cheating, and not something we ever did on Red Dwarf.

In the past, every series of Red Dwarf except series 7 was recorded in front of a large audience, this meant that when you watched the show and heard the laughs, the sound was just what happened during the recording. It was something the cast adored doing, but it put the rest of the production under a lot of extra strain and expense. It wasn’t that the audience ‘cost money’ in any direct way, more that in order to shoot the episode fast enough to avoid exhausting the audience, the cast and crew had to rehearse together, timing camera moves as well as actors moves.

When we shot the new series it was decided purely on budgetary grounds that this was going to be impossible. There was talk of doing a ‘live show’ but again, this had to be postponed due to budget. Notice I said postponed, there is no news if this will happen but it’s not impossible.

The choice the producers then had was to show the finished episodes to a live audience and then record that laughter track and lay it over the show. This is what we did on series 7 and this was not considered a good way to go.

It certainly is a different experience watching Red Dwarf without the background enthusiasm of the live audience to guide you, but Red Dwarf has always been a dense and detail filled show, and already people who have watched an episode more than once have said they got so much more out of it the 2nd time.

2. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

Title: It's cold outside
    Forum: Xpress Lift - Newcomers
    Conference: Red Dwarf
    Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 23:44 PM
    Author: dkey1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

Have watched Red Dwarf since the start. Thought i better join.

Hello 2 u all

D

Title: DVD Release in US
    Forum: Back to Earth
    Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 23:43 PM
    Author: plantejr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen the UK release of BTE is June has there been any word whether or not it will be released in the US?
    Title: Breaking the Third Wall
    Forum: Back to Earth
    Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 23:42 PM
    Author: DavidSteven

First Off I loved the first part of the trilogy..It had everything I wanted and more
    Then came the Breaking of The Third Wall - where the characters come across dolls, dvds and scripts of themselves and I was SOOOOOO disappointed..the hunt for the creator and hunt for their actors was Horrific. It carried into episode 3 so deep that I said forget this and weakly watched the wrap up. I understand it was an attempt to connect with the viewers but it never should have been done. Children telling Lister hed been dumped on a bus..Comic Store owners calling Fan Club Presidents...It was painful. I want a new series.. Id happily watch it but not by this writer.
    Creatively someone should have been hog tied and taken out with the trash.. In a decade this is the best that could be come up with??
    I hope Dave Tv picks it up and I can watch more of what was in the first episode without what was in 2 and 3..
    Title: It's cold outside
    Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 23:42 PM
    Author: dkey1

Hello All

Tought i better join aas watch Red dwarf since the begining.

Hello All.

D

3. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

Title: I bid greetings
    Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 23:41 PM
    Author: Almighty_crj

I NEVER ASKED TO BE MAILED 40 MAILS ABOUT WHAT EVER THIS CRAP IS SO I WANT TO GIVE BACK ALL 40 EMAILS TO THE FORUM THAT SO KINDLY SENT THEM TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS

Hello I'm Almighty_crj.

I've joined this fantastic ensemble of wonder, excitement and... wonder.

I happen to be a rather accident prone electronics student with high ambitions, and more than passing similarity to one Arnold Rimmer.

Only last week, did I manage confuse the 15V and 5V power supplies. I blame the power supply, personally. How was I supposed to know that unlit black mark was a one?

Anyway, will be knocking around, sticking my oar where it's not wanted and generally making my self sound superior.

Toodle pipski!

4. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

5. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

To be fair, there wasn't much for Lister or Kryten to despair about with the despair squid until the end when Lister found out he was a fascist mass-murderer and Kryten killed a man.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Seems to me you selected 'Email all new posts' option at the bottom of the forum. Just go back to the main Forum page and click it again to turn to it back 'off'.

7. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I think it's a shame for Doug, on his own... I mean he tries his best, but his personal flaws as a writter come out too often; he needs someone to co write, maybe not Grant, but someone.

This was bold, brash, akward, and unpopular, but, the story was great and ambitious, the bladerunner references were weird tbh, the 4th wall breaking was self-indulgent and the squid at the end wasnt too original, but i liked it alot.

Why? Because i'm a Dwarfer, when someones in a fix the home-boys band together, that's the way it is, boys from the dwarf
    *shakes his hands*

8. arsenalfc10reddwarf

arsenalfc10reddwarf Skutter

i just want to say that the third part of back 2 earth was truly brilliant loved every min of it and didnt want it to end it rely brought back memories of the old series loved it :P i realy hope there are more episodes to come like this one still thought lister should have taken the crew to the curry housetho:P but thats me being picky lol hope to see more episodes soon :-)

9. h12dck

h12dck Skutter

1st time here

Above i have said 'hello;
    and a comment which i didnt write?!??!?!?!?

Have watch the RTE and not what i expected and good 2 c the old 4 back, but where was holly?

am disappointed

Not the old Red Dwarf

10. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

C'mon homeboys, lets posse! :-)
    *shakes his hands*

11. SmegheadUSA

SmegheadUSA Skutter

We really enjoyed the Back to Earth specials. Given that they were produced on a short timeline it is remarkable what was accomplished. The Carbug was hilarious! I for one will buy at least one BTE DVD when they come out across the pond. I sincerely hope Dave picks up the Dwarf for another series so that I can but more DVDs of future series to join series 1-8 on my shelves. Where else would I get, nay, ever HEAR of a triple fried egg sandwich with chili sauce and chutney?

12. chaffinch

chaffinch Third Technician

I'm pretty sure the typewriter element of the show was inspired by an old, particularly trippy Doctor Who series from the sixties where the Doctor lands on a planet populated by characters from fiction. In the end the doctor finds his way into a room with a typewriter and manages to start to control the actions of the characters around him and manages to escape.

13. gwynnie86

gwynnie86 Third Technician

I was RIGHT about the bloody despair squid AND the Better Than Life novels... I haven't seen Bladerunner, though.
    I was hoping to be wrong, just because it seemed such an obvious way out... and they claimed we'd be so surprised!! Erm, no fan worth their salt was surprised, I'm willing to bet. Joy squid???... Yeah. Cheap. I saw it coming a mile off, they might as well have gone "it was all a dream!!!"

How long was Lister meant to have stayed with imaginary Kochanski for?

TOO many nostalgic references to old episodes made me cringe... "I'm gonna eat you little fishy!!"....
    A better plot would have been that there was a hole in time/space IN the tank where the squid was, and that's why it seemed to vanish and then pop back into reality. Then they could have tried to find their own way into that hole and found themselves back on earth. Funnily Dr Who had a similar wormhole in the easter special last night, only when people ran through it they burnt up and died... unless of course you have a magical flying bus, but anyway.

Also the "YOU (the viewers) are in the fake dimension - hahahahahha!!!"... saw it coming. Not trying to brag here, it's just that the whole thing was a little weak and predictable, probably more so if you've read the Dwarf novels too.

Well... it was a little morale boost for the fans, I feel. Also the begging for more "life" seemed like a piss-take of the fans begging for more episodes - I felt a bit insulted!!! "Come on, I can have my own spin-off!!"

You know what, I'm sure that Legion and Inquisitor were "tributes" to certain old sci-fi stories too, and probably many more. What I want to see now, and I know it would be terrible, is Dr Who materialising onto Red Dwarf, and taking them back to earth on the Tardis. The REAL Earth inhabited by Cat people, who finally found Fuchal.

14. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

I know the episodes just aired but reading this made me spit out my tea laughing!

I'm on the same wavelength though - it was trying too hard to be 'sci-fi' and forgot that it's actually a sitcom. (And I've come off the back of watching Battlestar Galactica and Lost so used to complex sci-fi writing!). And the parts with the rakes and Rimmer bonking the table - that just felt way too juvenile. wheras Listers long complex tomato ironing was pure genius.........

I think the trouble was that the Dispair Squid came up with a totally new world for them to be in and created real dispair, maybe I've lost where being on Earth in 2009 as tv characters would bring them all happiness (not just Lister)? The joy squid was basically Better Than Life (though in this case more along the book lines than the series 2 episode).
    Oh and an episode should never be a total parody of a film - you either have to make sure that every single person watching has seen it to get it, or easier just not bother.

It could have made a good half hour episode in a series as a sequel to BTR, a la Polymorph 2. But it didn't work for me as an hour long special (which it will be once all the ad breaks are cut out of it).

Liked: lots of the jokes. that Red Dwarf finally seemed huge. the four guys were as good as ever back together again.
    Disliked: most of the plot. Shame.

15. Better_than_life

Better_than_life Skutter

I really liked this new trilogy. The worst parts were the slow build-up of episode one, the lack of acknowledgement of how series 8's cliffhanger was resolved and those awful mini-Rimmer things from part 3. But for me, overall, it was a truly excellent return. Lister was back to being someone we can empathise with, as he became a bit of a caricature after series 2 or 3 when the focus moved to Rimmer and more gags (especially in series 5). I loved the nod to the ending of 'Life on Mars', with Lister choosing this dream life over reality, despite knowing it would kill him. I loved that Kryten is no longer a clucking mother hen and Cat behaves like a cat once more. The 'Blade Runner' homage was excellent and the whole thing looked so cinematic and gorgeously filmed. It was also great to see Kochanski back in a fleeting cameo, which for me was the biggest problem with 7 and 8 - this fantasy object for Lister was no longer unobtainable, which robbed the show of some of its sparkle.

Personal highlight was seeing that this was the original Arnold Judas Rimmer! Rimmerworld was mentioned in his company, he remembered Polymorph, and met the original Despair Squid. It makes sense that nano Rimmer died at the end of series 8 and Ace saved the day - just to give up the mantle for being 'a bit crap'. He did seem more authorative in this story - plotting the assault on the squid, his approach to finding out Swallow's address etc - while retaining the old smeghead qualities.

While I was a bit sorry to see a retread of 'Back To Reality', the whole storyline did ultimately make sense. Out of everyone, Lister had lost his hope - Kochanski's 'death' leaving him a hollow shell. The squid's ink created new opportunity, with Katerina -representing his hope made solid - determined to get him home and find a new mate. She acted as a counterbalance, therefore, to the (literally) 'hopeless' Rimmer who can't even hang a picture properly - this explains why she was so determined to have Rimmer deleted, to get rid of his negative influence (hell, the guy was once taken prisoner by his own self-loathing!). Remember that she managed to 'track them down' again after the two kids gave Lister hope again - just for Rimmer to off her permanently! I wish we'd seen the character one more time in part 3.

The gang have a strong link with that ocean planet from series 5 - it's where they almost committed a group suicide, lost Red Dwarf and then later retrieved Holly. It makes sense that Cat would grab a quick snack then forget about it in all that followed - though perhaps he picked up this second squid when they returned to the ocean planet in 'Nanarchy'? It might have been floating around in a puddle!

I don't think we'll ever see it back to the gag-packed days of series 6, but I now have real hope for more Dwarf. The search for Kochanski can be an interesting focus for a new series and hopefully bring back 6's quest element which created lots of excellent story opportunities. Overall, a truly excellent return, proving there's lots of life in the old 'Dwarf yet!

16. BattleMetalChris

BattleMetalChris Skutter

It can be got round:

*Flick*
    "Stone. We're in some sort of narrow stone passageway"

If they can set it in a chimney in Hitler's bunker, they can do it in a diving bell :P

17. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

Same here.

It still boggles my mind that the UK media has been sitting on this cash cow for so long. With so many fans out there, why is it so hard to bring back another series, or at least make a TV movie of some kind? Did Naylor piss off someone at the BBC so badly that he's been blacklisted, or something? We know it's not a problem with the actors -- they are obviously on board for more episodes.

18. roebeet

roebeet Third Technician

If you watch the earlier seasons very closely, there are obviously some scenes that were not filmed live, in front of a studio audience. Examples, you say? Off the top of my head: anything filmed in a warehouse like the EO "Justice" or "Inquisitor", or any outdoor shots like the Wax Droid outdoor stuff or GOTA.

19. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Pretty underwhelming wasn't it?

A few laughs in there when Lister is supposed to be typing the story (the rakes on the floor) all good slapstick stuff. But in general it still had that feeling of a quickly thrown togther special, like something you'd see on Comic Relief. Really not worthy of being dubbed a genuine Dwarf episode or episodes.

The Blade Runner stuff just really annoyed me. It was lazy and went beyond simply referential and into plaigarism, basically an substitute for not being bothered to write anything original. Add to that most of those scenes with the Tyrell character (was that supposed to be Doug Naylor?) were laboured and went on far too long. The whole homage scene with them running through the glass was pointless, added nothing to the story (if there was one) and seemed to be simply shoehorned in there to add to the running time and show how clever they've been in re-creating the scene from the movie.

The Corrie stuff was toe curling and again did nothing to move the story along. It was just bunged in there for the sake of it. Not funny, not relevant and just space filling.

Really really dissapointed to be honest. I hope the team take a long hard look at this and see if they can genuinely see what any of it had to do with Red Dwarf, other than a lame attempt to re-invent the franchise on the back of what appears to be a barefaced promotional vehicle for Dave TV.

Watchng the original 'Back to reality' afterwards just went on to show how well they used to be able to fit a well crafted story and some decent laughs into a 30 minute slot back in the old days. I really enjoyed seeing that again but it just saddened me even more to think how they plundered that storyline for this pile of poo.

I want more Dwarf, not this rubbish!

20. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

It still boggles my mind that the UK media has been sitting on this cash cow for so long. With so many fans out there, why is it so hard to bring back another series, or at least make a TV movie of some kind? Did Naylor piss off someone at the BBC so badly that he's been blacklisted, or something? We know it's not a problem with the actors -- they are obviously on board for more episodes.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more, is it really that hard to bring back another series or two, its not like red dwarf is going to lose money. I mean look at the old series, one of the funniest programs ever to hit a tv screen and they were very basic, didnt need much money to make. Thats the beauty of Red Dwarf, so original and basic yet so funny, we dont need any grand sets or pretty cgi animations, just get a 9th series in the works for heavens sake, before heart attack admissions shoot up by 5000% due to waiting in anticipation to hear of a new series. Oh and stop hitting out at Doug haters, he did such a fantastic job with the time frame etc that he deserves a bloody big medal round his neck made of solid gold. Well done Doug great job.